Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Events & Meet-ups
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cycling more to drive les

White 'rolla - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 44.39 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Chalupa102
CT meet pics (20 pictures)

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this thread, so if not, mods please move.

Yesterday i went to a hybrid meet up. It was originally started on insightcentral.com, and then generated to other sites like this one. It was a great time and there was a good showing of people with a few kinds of cars, including 2 EVs and a guy coming all the way from FL.

EVs: VW Jetta and S10

Corolla aeromods thread:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-11210.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Chalupa102 For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (10-26-2009)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Thanks for the pics Dan! Now for the bevy of questions that will follow. I numbered them so it's easier to respond (promise this isn't a test)!

1. What were some of the discussions at the meetup?
2. Any cool mods that you saw on the cars (other than the EV conversions)?
3. Did the person with the EV truck explain why he chose that vehicle to do it with?
4. Didn't see any Gen III Prius in any of your pics...were there any?
5. What were your impressions of the Gen II Insight?

Gotta love Hobbit and his dashboard!

Thanks!

Matt
Old 10-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Herring View Post
Thanks for the pics Dan! Now for the bevy of questions that will follow. I numbered them so it's easier to respond (promise this isn't a test)!

1. What were some of the discussions at the meetup?
2. Any cool mods that you saw on the cars (other than the EV conversions)?
3. Did the person with the EV truck explain why he chose that vehicle to do it with?
4. Didn't see any Gen III Prius in any of your pics...were there any?
5. What were your impressions of the Gen II Insight?

Gotta love Hobbit and his dashboard!

Thanks!

Matt
Alright, here we go...lol

1. Definitely a lot about driving habits. The guys that had mods discussed them and the increases in f/e they are seeing with those mods. There were quite a few who haven't started modding yet, and they wanted to get some ideas. I learned a lot and am definitely looking forward to the next meet. Surprisingly i was able to give some tips to a few of the guys on my driving habits, which i wasn't expecting. Some were shocked about the MPG i was getting with a non-hybrid.

2. One of the Gen 1 Insights had a wheel powered by a seperate battery that would drop down on his command. It will move the car without needing the gas or electric motor to run. He can't go very fast with it, but it saves him a lot of fuel.

One of the Priuses had a computer screen device (can't remember the actual name of it) hooked up to the OBDII port that would tell u everything the car was doing. It even showed the binary-type codes that the ECU would read.

3. That's a good question that i should have asked, but didn't think about it.

4. Unfortunately no Gen 3 Prius showed up. I wanted to see one cuz i really like the look of them.

5. I've got mixed feeling with the Gen 2 Insight, but for the most part i like 'em. I like the design and how they are a 4 seater compared to a 2. I don't like how they did away with the wheel skirts and it seems like the Gen 2s don't get as good f/e as the Gen 1s. Right now i'm getting better f/e with my Corolla than some of the guys with Gen 2s are I actually like the way the Gen 1 looks with the wheel skirts. Overall, the Gen 2s are pretty nice cars, but i think if i get a hybrid, i would get a Prius.

Corolla aeromods thread:
Old 10-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Herring View Post
It's not a bad choice for a lead-acid setup. The batteries are enormous and heavy, and the S10 swallows them without infringing on cargo and passenger space at all. Aerodynamically, the S10 isn't great, but a custom bed and tonneau cover would help with that. Did he at least have a full grille block? What kind of range did the EVs report?

E-wheel? That would be Mike Dabrowski's Insight. It's definitely innovative.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalupa102 View Post
Right now i'm getting better f/e with my Corolla than some of the guys with Gen 2s are
, indeed. Is it because the hardcore hypermilers end up in Gen1s and Priora, or is the Gen2 really that bad? What I'd like to know is, what kind of mileage does an educated and dedicated hypermiler get in a Gen2 vs in a third-gen Prius.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Thanks for the pics
Got a few ideas for bumperstickers, hehehe.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 10-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalupa102 View Post
Alright, here we go...lol

1. Surprisingly i was able to give some tips to a few of the guys on my driving habits, which i wasn't expecting. Some were shocked about the MPG i was getting with a non-hybrid.

2. One of the Priuses had a computer screen device (can't remember the actual name of it) hooked up to the OBDII port that would tell u everything the car was doing. It even showed the binary-type codes that the ECU would read.
On #1...I have found that the more people I meet the more I realize that guys really aren't "trying" to maxing out their mpg in terms of driving style. They all have a deep interest in getting high mpg but alot of them are more interested in "their car" than how to actually "drive their car." I see this alot at priuschat.com where 95% of the people on the site are amazed at what mpg's they are getting (45-50 mpg) and really don't see past that in terms of what they can do to get to 55/60 mpg. These high-mpg machines that are available to us sometimes blur the picture and make it too easy to get good mpg...when getting great mpg is the goal.

I think the real benefit of the meetups is getting together with like-minded people that have great ideas...some of which can help us get better at what we do. It's a different perspective when you actually see a mod in person or talk to someone that can "show" you have they drive their car for efficiency.

On #2...I would have loved to see this device...and I suspect it was either the elusive "MS1" I saw a few months ago developed by Yoshi (that I'm trying to get my hands on) or some sort of CAN-View that many Prius drivers employ in their cars.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
The s10 electric. wow.
As I am interested in work returned for consumption, as logic dictates a 70mpg scooter with the lone driver and bad place for a gallon of milk is very selfish.

The pickup is interesting.

I am capped into the 40s mpg highway, because I need to work the car for example. Any farther than that and I won't be moving normal.
Electric does have good excuses, especially all recyclable. There is not much selfish going on there..
Old 10-26-2009, 10:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Did he at least have a full grille block?

What kind of range did the EVs report?

E-wheel? That would be Mike Dabrowski's Insight. It's definitely innovative.
I don't recall that he had a grill-block.

If they had said, i didn't catch it.

Yes sir. That thing was definitely awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
, indeed. Is it because the hardcore hypermilers end up in Gen1s and Priora, or is the Gen2 really that bad?

What I'd like to know is, what kind of mileage does an educated and dedicated hypermiler get in a Gen2 vs in a third-gen Prius.
I know one of the guys just bought the car, so it hasn't had a chance to break-in yet. He had his tire pressure lower, but increased it at the meet. He was one of the main guys that we were discussing hypermiling techniques with. Once he gets his techniques down and gets more miles on it, he should definitely be getting better f/e.

That's a good question that i would like to know as well. According to fueleconomy.gov, the Priuses are supposed to get better MPG than the Gen 2 Insights.

Corolla aeromods thread:
Reply  Post New Thread