Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #141 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
If the time estimate went past a certain point, it would just say, "2147234589 years remaining".
Well, you have to give them points for honesty :-)

PS: Though on the software accuracy issue, the Messenger home page http://messenger.jhuapl.edu/ used to have a real-time display counting down seconds until orbit insertion. Apparently it worked, too :-)

Last edited by jamesqf; 03-18-2011 at 12:09 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #142 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Very expensive software, with very expensive, global, 24x7 support from the vendor, and it still takes them an hour to join a call when there's an outage.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #143 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Very expensive software, with very expensive, global, 24x7 support from the vendor, and it still takes them an hour to join a call when there's an outage.
Annoyance 1.
Where I work we have a targeted 4 hour hardware support (and a fleet of vans and engineers to do it). Our competitors don't. But they claim to have.

Annoyance 1.5
Customers believe them. At least until the first problem...

Annoyance 2.
I am like the non-canine character in this picture

when it comes to cheese, especially Wensleydale, Lancashire or other real British ones. Can I find anything decent in Edinburgh? No. The best I can come up with is some processed, reduced and time-locked plastic nonsense from a supermarket. I can of course buy loads of (very nice) overseas cheeses - anything French, Belgian and even Irish and Canadian. How about some from 200 miles down the road ? No.

I really miss the traditional markets we had in the North West of England when I was younger. Markets these days are full of knock-off designer clothes and cheap toys unsafe to be sold in shops.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #144 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2003 Ninja EX250 - '03 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
90 day: 78.57 mpg (US)

Saturn - '99 Saturn SL1 Base
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)
So i was on the Palisades Parkway today, coming home from work around 5:30pm. There was some congestion but traffic was holding the speed limit (55) steadily. I moved over to the left lane (2-lane highway) because cars were entering the highway from an on ramp. I'm doing 55mph holding a steady throttle position, about 50 feet between me and the car infront of me. This guy comes flying up on my back bumper, sits there for about 10 seconds, then starts flashing his highbeams on and off franticly. So this happens for about a half mile until we approach the next exit. The car on my right side proceeded to get off the exit, so there was an opening on my right side. The guy continues to flash his lights for another like 5 seconds, then jerks over to the right lane, floors it, and passes me...... hanging out the window showing me the bird. As soon as he passes me, he jerks infront of me, almost rear ended the car ahead in the right lane in the process. 2 miles up the road, Theres congestion again, but this time slower traffic, about 35-40 mph. I was in the right lane at this time, he was up another person's bumper. I just rolled on by with the engine off, laughing at him and proceeded on my way.

Ecomodder's always win!

If you have to use your brakes, you are driving too fast!

My 101.5 MPG 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Crude Oil Price Today
Old 03-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #145 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
^That's not annoying; that's fun, free entertainment!

Old 03-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #146 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
I have to agree, watching road ragers get passed by slower steadier folks is hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #147 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Annoyance 2.
I am like the non-canine character in this picture

when it comes to cheese, especially Wensleydale, Lancashire or other real British ones. Can I find anything decent in Edinburgh? No. The best I can come up with is some processed, reduced and time-locked plastic nonsense from a supermarket. I can of course buy loads of (very nice) overseas cheeses - anything French, Belgian and even Irish and Canadian. How about some from 200 miles down the road ? No.
I realize I'm only partly British, but I do feel a connection to England I can't explain. So I tend to gravitate to BBC shows (Top Gear, that other Gear show, Wallace and Gromit, and the kids LOVE Shaun the Sheep.) I have to admit envy for you all for having such a strong and unique national identity, as compared to the homogenized soup of people America has become.

It has made our cheese wimpy and our beer similar to making love in a canoe. (some 4 letter word)-ing close to water. I dislike America being thought of as a bunch of sloveny rich devils that can't say no to food. But alas, not much one person can do about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #148 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Did I tell about the time... I guess... I took off too slowly from a red light? Had the moonroof open and could hear the guy in the pickup behind me letting loose with a litany that would make a sailor blush. So I saluted him; then he was all "I'll fight you! I'll fight you! blah blah blah". I just kept on to my nearby destination, and he followed. I got out of my car, and he left. Darn it. THAT would have been entertaining.

Did someone say food???

Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #149 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Rover - '10 Mazda Tribute isport
Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeebryan View Post
So i was on the Palisades Parkway today, coming home from work around 5:30pm. There was some congestion but traffic was holding the speed limit (55) steadily. I moved over to the left lane (2-lane highway) because cars were entering the highway from an on ramp. I'm doing 55mph holding a steady throttle position, about 50 feet between me and the car infront of me. This guy comes flying up on my back bumper, sits there for about 10 seconds, then starts flashing his highbeams on and off franticly. So this happens for about a half mile until we approach the next exit. The car on my right side proceeded to get off the exit, so there was an opening on my right side. The guy continues to flash his lights for another like 5 seconds, then jerks over to the right lane, floors it, and passes me...... hanging out the window showing me the bird. As soon as he passes me, he jerks infront of me, almost rear ended the car ahead in the right lane in the process. 2 miles up the road, Theres congestion again, but this time slower traffic, about 35-40 mph. I was in the right lane at this time, he was up another person's bumper. I just rolled on by with the engine off, laughing at him and proceeded on my way.

Ecomodder's always win!
I had a similar experience today with an even better ending. I was driving the speed limit on a two lane road when a big Dodge pickup roared up behind me. He tailgated me until he could pass and then flew around me. Just a few hundred feet up the road a highway patrolman pulled over to make a u-turn, chased the guy down and was getting ready to write a ticket as we tooled by. Justice served.... :-)
Old 03-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #150 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
That belongs in the 'Daily Smiles' thread!!

Reply  Post New Thread