Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Calculate the fuel cost annually, based on current gas prices. If the delivery drivers can reduce that consumption, based on the same cost and miles travelled, then split the savings, half as a bonus to the drivers and the other half as increased income for the owner.

Advise the drivers to read the hypermiling tips here. They (the drivers) should see the economic benefit for simply adjusting the "nut behind the wheel". If they could decrease their total consumption by even 10% then your are talking about 100k miles of free "fuel" per year. That would have to be in the tens of thousands of dollars, which would make a very nice Christmas bonus.

Give them all a tire gauge, or have a person dedicated to checking pressure. That could be logged to preempt a roads side breakdown due to a nail in the tire.

regards
mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
Not bad for a machine

Maechunbu - Retired - '00 Kia Sephia 1.8I4 16VDOHC
Last 3: 45.28 mpg (US)

Slasher - '96 Chevy Corsica 2.2L 3speedauto
Duct Tape Aero Crew
Team Chevy
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)
I would start by buying and installing Torque and a Bluetooth dongle. Put it under the dash. It will log everything basically a little blackbox for $40 or less.
Pull up to home base grab the wifi and it automatically will upload.
Complete with google earth data.

Find out who the worst drivers are. Who wastes the most fuel. It doesn't matter if joe drives the 4cyl ranger and bob drives a F350
Who is a better driver?

Find the worst drivers and tell them to shape up. Tell everyone else to keep up the good work and we will have a small bonus if numbers can improve. Explain that the money they will be saving by driving smarter will be put back into the payroll.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 42.77 mpg (US)
Keep good records and monthly calculate fuel mileage by truck, by driver, and by route. If one or a few drivers clearly are better, give them an appropriate bonus check at the end of the year.

All drivers take an update class on driving skills. The Smith System sounds good. All of the principles of safely driving a heavy vehicle will improve fuel mileage. Follow that class with tips on driving for mileage. DWL improves mileage without affecting trip time.

Increased coasting (DWB) before speed limit changes and stop signs does affect trip time. So does driving at slower speeds. Run some tests to find the actual effect on trip time and fuel mileage before pushing these.

If the second year shows an improvement in fleet fuel consumption, everybody gets a bonus. One or two standout drivers may get a larger bonus.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:55 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Mazda3 - '08 Mazda 3 S
90 day: 29.65 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '13 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 46.16 mpg (US)

Wife's - '12 GMC Terrain SLE-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
Speed has bugger all to do with it. My brand new Wrangler's screen was chipped in a 25mph zone, by a Landrover with a missing mud flap. I was following at least 100 yards back.
Thinking back, his post could be taken two ways. I took it like you, he's saying mud flaps aren't needed if speeds are low. But now I am thinking he meant mud flaps aren't hurting mileage if speeds are low.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #25 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
But now I am thinking he meant mud flaps aren't hurting mileage if speeds are low.
This. I was wondering what you guys were going on about.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
oldtamiyaphile (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
I'd stay away from this.

As a paid driver, my incentives are almost entirely centered around time. Fuel, brakes, tires and all other usage related expenses are the company's problem while the company and the customers make time my problem. It's going to be really hard to tell a fleet of drivers to focus on longer term corporate savings while their jobs are structured to reward non-eco driving. Even a monthly bonus for a year over year reduction in fuel usage is going to be hard to sell. Is it going to be based on miles traveled? Stops made? We all know what kind of variables hurt fuel usage, and a 21 truck fleet is going to guarantee some of the drivers are idling in traffic jams or simply not eco driving. We also know that every little bit helps and savings add up, but for this program we need to change the incentives for the individual drivers.

How do you increase efficiency in a delivery fleet?
First I'd focus on routing. This isn't just nitpicking over more right turns, but overall loading and dispatching. Who cares what mpg your fleet gets if you're setting it up for failure in the office?

Second is the trucks. Not tire pressures and aero mods, but overall maintenance, and over time, vehicle selection. Lots of delivery trucks out there look rather over-specced. Just because a cargo volume of X could have a weight of Y doesn't mean that's what you're actually hauling. I know it's easier to manage a fleet if all the trucks are interchangeable and capable of everything, but that adds up to tons of steel being bought and then hauled around town every day for no reason. It needs to be looked at. Modding the trucks is going to be a minor improvement at best and a financial and legal disaster at worst. A homemade side skirt flying off is going to be a mess with lawyers and insurance companies and a grille block is going to get blamed for the overheated engine even though nobody noticed that the thermostat was sticking.

The third place is the drivers. Most companies look at employees as opponents, things that cost a lot of money that need work to be wrung out of them. You need to make them your partners here, and this includes the office staff as well. Don't invent an incentive program, talk to the people and get ideas from them. They're where your biggest savings are going to come from, but you can't ask them to save you money when your other operations aren't set up to help them- and you can't add "save me gas" to their workload without changing their focus (pay).

The first thing I learned here at Ecomodder is that the most important part to modify for efficiency is the nut behind the wheel. Efficiency isn't a bolt-on product, and simply wanting your fleet of trucks to burn less gas isn't going to make your operations more efficient. Treating this as a hardware issue and not a management issue is a sign of bad management. It's nice that your wife's boss is interested in efficiency, but you can't help him much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Cd (11-17-2014), JRMichler (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Versa - '09 Nissan Versa Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 38.9 mpg (US)
Like to say again thanks to you all for ideas and comments. I do agree with Charlie that anything done would have to be well thought out to save long term cost and/or lawsuits. And there may not be very much that can be done mechanical.
Employer/employee relationship is important in whether job is done efficiently or not. My boss was taught in college that praise of employee gets more out of him than more money. We have been arguing about it for 20years. So I made sure to care and work hard enough that he does both. Making a man do his part to secure his future is not an issue I care to tackle. Employer or employee

Thanks again
Old 11-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Efficient driving style not only saves fuel, but on maintenance costs too. Less brake wear, powertrain wear etc.

Is there wide selection of tyres available for his fleet? Model with low rr and high durability should be found.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nackerton View Post
Efficient driving style not only saves fuel, but on maintenance costs too. Less brake wear, powertrain wear etc.
I have to agree here.

As I read the suggestions for driving for economy on this site I find that my personal driving habits already include many of the techniques recommended here. My personal rig is a 1 ton diesel pickup and has 139k miles on it. I am still running the factory original clutch and rear brakes. I did put front brake pads on at 110k miles. My mechanic goes on about the miles I get out of tires, brakes, clutch etc. I run a mix of loads from 1000lbs in the bed to pulling trailers that range from 7k to 16k lbs. My truck works for its keep and gentle driving habits really do pay off in not only fuel but also maintenance costs.

How to balance the time vs economy battle is a tough one though...

Just my $.02
Old 11-22-2014, 08:29 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
On an urban route the time savings of driving faster are mostly psychological

I'm sure we can all recount any number of times where we've been overtaken by someone in a mad rush only to sail right back past them at the next light/ intersection etc.

Reply  Post New Thread