Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Diesel generator in homebuilt car

I would really like to build a homebuilt car, and for a powerplant I would like to use a small diesel engine. It seems that there are a number of small, lightweight diesel generators available, and I'm thinking rather than trying to mate the engine up to a car transmission and disposing of the generator, why not just use the generator as a transmission and use electric motors to drive the wheels? Similar to a diesel locomotive, or a Chevy Volt without the battery pack and a diesel engine instead of gasoline. My thinking is that since the transmission and drive motors are electric, you could run the diesel engine at it's best BSFC rpm all or most of the time and just vary the load rather than rpm.

Does anyone see any problems with this idea? Does it seem feasible? Has this been tried before (and met with miserable failure)?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
What you are describing is a serial hybrid vehicle. They aren't really known to be the most efficient since you always have to have that engine -> generator -> batteries -> electric motor -> wheels energy conversion going on. The more steps, the more losses. This is one reason the Volt gets unimpressive mileage when the engine kicks on. Running an engine at peak BSFC definitely helps negate that penalty, but it is still there. So, engine -> wheels is normally going to be more efficient, especially if the engine isn't too oversized. However, it does make for a relatively easy plugin hybrid setup.
Cobb (12-07-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Sure it will work, mileage of course is the question.

I think it would be worth while to see if you could find a clutch that would hold up so you could have the engine power the wheels at cruising speed, a light weight motorcycle chain could even be used as your engine shouldn't need to be over 15hp or 20hp, you might even be able to get away with not using a clutch and instead shifting it "in to gear" once the speeds match up, or use a centrifugal clutch on the tail shaft of a motor that has a tail shaft so once you hit 60mph say, the motor generator lock together powering the wheels directly.

You'll also need a battery bank to buffer, unless of course you over size the generator or are willing to wait for train like acceleration, 0-60 time of 20 minutes?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurcher

You need to explain how to do these at the same time:
Quote:
...you could run the diesel engine at it's best BSFC rpm all or most of the time and just vary the load rather than rpm...
Best bsfc is for a certain load range. Diesels tend to be less efficient at full power. But a diesel engine also tends to be heavy, comparatively, especially if you only run it really close to best bsfc:

Volkswagen 1.5L diesel
Here best bsfc occurs at about 1/2 full power. And full power bsfc is about 75% as good as best bsfc, like the difference between 40 mpg and 30 mpg.
What I mean is that for the power range you want, the engine is twice as heavy as you need. I don't think this leads to the best economy.

My father and I did this project long ago when parts were really hard to get and batteries were crap. Our car was a 1970 Vega chassis. We had a 30 KW diesel generator set and a 45 HP AC motor from an elevator. And 300 pounds of lead batteries. We could just maintain 50 mph on the Grapevine grade. 0 to 60 in about 30 sec. On a flat course the diesel would run a few minutes until the batteries were charged (also boiling) and then shut down for 20 or 30 seconds. Big pulses small glides. Fuel economy was a little worse as a hybrid than it has been as a gasser.
But you can do much better today. If I could do it again I'd use an Atkinson engine and a PM alternator, and lithium batteries, natch. Built from the ground up, a series hybrid is the best route to high fuel economy.
-mort
Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I guess I wasn't clear with my intentions. I don't want to build a hybrid. One battery, just to start the engine. I just want to use the generator in place of a conventional transmission since the small diesels available tend to be used in generator applications. Rather than just throwing the generator away or selling it, I figure why not use it? I really just want to see if I can build a car myself and power it with a small diesel engine; and the idea of using a generator as a transmission came when I was searching for small diesel engines and all the ones I was finding were coupled to generators.

Would the power loss when converting energy forms (mechanical kinetic to electricity) be greater than the kinds of losses seen in an automatic transmission?

Maybe a gas engine would actually be more efficient because of the weight advantage?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Your answer is in post 2.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
MPG is not linear police

Ciderbarrel's P*2 - '22 Polestar 2
90 day: 108.13 mpg (US)

Ciderbarrel's Civic - '08 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 31.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
What you are describing is a serial hybrid vehicle. They aren't really known to be the most efficient since you always have to have that engine -> generator -> batteries -> electric motor -> wheels energy conversion going on. The more steps, the more losses. This is one reason the Volt gets unimpressive mileage when the engine kicks on. Running an engine at peak BSFC definitely helps negate that penalty, but it is still there. So, engine -> wheels is normally going to be more efficient, especially if the engine isn't too oversized. However, it does make for a relatively easy plugin hybrid setup.
Despite everything you just said, I would love to have something like a Volt with a diesel generator running DIY B100.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
ah, so the engine speed is going to control the vehicle speed... huh, you should get that nice smooth 0-60 time of several minutes then!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
ah, so the engine speed is going to control the vehicle speed... huh, you should get that nice smooth 0-60 time of several minutes then!
Ryland, why would the engine speed dictate vehicle speed? If the engine is not mechanically coupled to the drive wheels, how would there be a correlation between engine speed and vehicle speed? Diesel-electric locomotives and diesel-electric buses don't operate that way, why would a car be any different? And don't tell me that diesel electric buses take eons to accelerate; I've rode several and they were perfectly adequate in terms of acceleration. As far as I'm aware, such buses don't operate on freeways, but the kind of car I want to build wouldn't be well suited to freeway travel anyway. Just something to commute through the city to work and back.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Also, regarding my original post and the intent of my idea, I do NOT want to build a hybrid. There will be NO battery bank, just one battery to start the engine. The generator will simply act as a transmission, and the electric motor(s) would act as a differential. In effect, I would be duplicating the drive system of a typical car only using electricity. Replace the gearbox with a generator, and replace the differential with electric motor. The engine would operate, for the most part, the same way car with a CVT does.

I'm just trying to simplify the design process of a homebuilt car. If I ditch the gearbox, I don't have to try to adapt the engine to it. I just have to fabricate some mounts for the engine and generator. I'm not sure how big sufficient motors would be to drive the wheels. Ideally I would like to drive two wheels with an internal electric motor, but if motor size is a constraint, maybe I could use one large motor as a differential and drive one wheel with a shaft.

Reply  Post New Thread