Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

DIY emissions analysis

As a techie with an almost Aspergerian desire for measurement, I'd love to be able to do my own emissions measurements and logging, especially on-the-fly. To buy such a system I think is about $6K-- that's what a local tech school paid for theirs. Many of us semi-retired Dads don't have that kind of money in petty cash on a regular basis, so I thought that I would try to put together my own system (at least until Publisher's Clearinghouse shows up at my door with that big, big big check).

Apparently DIY emissions analysis is a very rare topic, so rare that I can't find anything.

"Who will help me plant this wheat?" said the little red rooster.

Oxygen sensors aren't expensive and ought to be straightforward enough to interpret the output.

For diesels, it seems to me that an opacity meter ought to be easy enough to rig-- a chamber with a light and a light meter. I hear green light is favored.

As for NOx, CO, CO2 and HC, I have no clue as of yet-- have yet to read the technical articles.

I'm not looking for EPA or California Air Quality Board level tolerances, although I wouldn't be surprised if I could get them. Does anyone else think that having these measuring abilities would help in ecomodding research?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Even if an idea or strategy doesn't result in FE improvements, if it results in lowered emissions, doesn't cost a lot or hurt fuel economy, it's worth working with or at least taking a closer look at.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Obviously the emissions analysis box-makers aren't going to help me avoid paying them six thousand dollars.... maybe some o' the folks at professional testing labs might have some pointers-- or the bright young people at our institutions of higher learning might have blazed a trail for us already.

E-mails are in order. Maybe even personal phone calls.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Welcome.

You make me wonder what car(s) you're going to subject to your DIY emissions test, and what you will do to improve on them.
For my bikes I did simple things like just smell the exhaust gas, observe the caking on the spark plugs and the like. When in doubt it was dealership time. My cars always ran fine so I never felt the need to test, and with modern cars with ECU's and 3-way cat systems there remains little to test I fear.
On my car I'd expect no gain from this kind of testing, while raising the tire pressure somewhat and installing HIDs and LEDs are surefire ways to get better mpg.

But I agree, I ecomod as a hobby so I have to like what I do. I will make mods that won't pay for themselves if I feel like it, and leave those which would but I don't fancy.
Improving on emissions works for the environment too, not just the wallet. That's eco˛modding

My daughter has not yet mastered her walk-bike, and my 5-year old son, who reads, writes, does basic math and studies Japanese tokens and the Greek alphabet (ancient, modern and archaic), is still in his diapers - a true-to-form Asperger... but one day he'll be a mean ecomodder

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

"These are the days of miracles and wonder
This is the long distance call....." -- Paul Simon

Gad, I remember when long distance calls were expensive! Now we just find out who to contact and call them!

I made a call to the California Air Resources Board and then went to the Consumer Protection people, who sent me to the Bureau of Automotive Repair who sent me to the Engineering & Research Division of Smog Engineering where I talked to "Rocky". He informed me that due to changes in smog testing in California that there was a boatload and a half of obsolete but working 4 gas analyzers that could be had VERY cheaply.

No need to make my own equipment! What a timesaver!

I'll check this out and post a link to any equipment that I find. I got a coupla pennies to rub together here somewhere.

These aren't portable, as far as I know. Portable is what I want, but I'll take what I can get and be real happy that I don't have to re-invent any wheels right now.

I'll still have to rig up an opacity meter for diesel. Seems easy enough as long as I'm satisfied with comparative results for simple experimentation.

I feel blessed by this day's events.

Last edited by Dad and Dotter; 03-28-2013 at 07:07 PM..
Old 03-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Someone over in the intro thread wrote that I should be concerned about NOx from leaning out fuel.... point well taken. We must get temps down to keep NOx low. I lost a favorite fishing spot in Minnesota to acid rain in the mid-late '70s. The smaller lakes were especially susceptible.

There's another sensor for me, or set of them, I should say, for operating temps of various systems and fluids.

Just call me Doctor Schmience!

{Disclaimer -- Dad is not a real doctor and does not diagnose or claim to cure any medical conditions.}

Last edited by Dad and Dotter; 03-28-2013 at 10:49 PM..
Old 03-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Arrgh!

Arrgh! (Not "ahhrr!" which is pirate-speak)

I am not seeing the cheap and plentiful obsolete emissions analyzers promised by Mr. Rocky of the California smog-monitoring bureaucracy. He did mention another source so I have e-mailed him back inquiring of same.

I do hope that he can come through for us. I would hate to put him on my fecal roster. Them that's there are receiving little enough attention as it is, lately. I could link to a youtube video of me at a hearing of a government agency, but you probably wouldn't want a sunburn and for the paint on your wall across the room to peel off.

Perhaps I should start a thread on the subject of profanity. As this is a "civil" forum with agreements, it might be an interesting exercise in euphemism. Come now, gentlemen, who among us has not uttered a profanely expressive verbal ejaculation upon the occasion of skinning our knuckles when a wrench slips?

!@#$%^&*!!!

Long Live The Memory of George Carlin!

And I'd do well to remind meself of an acronym my Uncle Bob taught me. TANSTAAFL! I can still hold out hope for a gift from the fairy-godmother department.

Last edited by Dad and Dotter; 03-28-2013 at 10:10 PM..
Old 03-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Opacity Meters / Diesel Smoke Meters

An important measuring tool for diesel performance and emissions is the diesel smoke meter or opacity meter. It is a measurement of particulate pollution, a significant problem for us as an urban motive-power-using society.

The more I know, the more inclined I am to admit when I'm ignorant-- but as far as I can tell, an opacity meter is a chamber for diesel exhaust with a light on one side and a light meter on the other.

Light meters became affordable if not cheap in the 1960s and pretty darn accurate in the '80s and '90s.

Right now I have about zero-point-squat idea of what any government standards are for opacity meters, but I do know that we should be able to get before and after readings that would show any significant improvements.

If anyone knows anything about this, please go to the head of the class.

I'll update here as I learn.

Last edited by Dad and Dotter; 03-28-2013 at 10:41 PM..
Old 03-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

no nickname , it's just a car - '04 volkswagen golf tdi
what car what system

so what is it that you are trying to monitor ?
what system ?
what car ?
OBD1 ? OBD2 ? Diesel ? Gasoline ?

it matters . i suggest that you pick only one to start with .
there will be a learning curve .

bottom line
your monitoring of the end result will have little to no effect on FE
if the system is operating as designed
you will not be able change anything that will create an improvement

there is much to be learned before you spend 1 penny on any test equipment

i suggest
you re focus your leaRning curve to zero in on DSO s - there is more to be leaRned and more to be tested with scopes than with a 5gas ,
do not waste your time with a 4gas
again
spend no money ... yet

navigate to Autonerdz then ACE MISFIRE Detective then ATS Escope - study what is listed in the forums and tutorials in those sites

in ATS there are also tutorials related to the use of the 5gas , the information can be applied to any 5gas

in AMD and ATS information on the use of pressure transducers combined with scopes

then
think on it for a while , it will be a journey , a long journey .

Pico6 is the best choice the most resolution the best price
the greatest versatility

but
it is a personal choice , like choosing a pair of boots or a firearm
you have to be comfortable with the choice

Last edited by mwebb; 03-28-2013 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to mwebb For This Useful Post:
Dad and Dotter (03-29-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

What is it that I want to monitor? Emissions-wise, the usual suspects. CO, C02, HC, NOx, 02, and Opacity for diesels.

I actually have a larger agenda than the family cars. I'll introduce our vehicles and stationary test engines here later. They are to include not only motive-power-wheeled applications but motive-power-marine and power generation as well. With a bit of bloomin' luck I might even be able to get my hands on an aircraft engine for stationary fiddling about with.

bottom line your monitoring of the end result will have little to no effect on FE if the system is operating as designed

That is true, of course.

Please remember that I am of an earlier era and have not gotten quite up to speed yet on all the new-fangled tech. Just this week I've been delving into MAP and MAF sensors. Please also be aware that I'm a control freak. I hope that I've mostly gotten over my desire to control people, but that has probably only exacerbated my desire to understand and control machines and systems.

When I go whole-hog to do something, I guess I may go a little overboard. I read about ICE research and think, "Well, spit! I could do that!"

This is all Dotter's fault. That and my continuing curiosity.

>> there is much to be learned before you spend 1 penny on any test equipment

Yes, this is true, of course. Old Dad is "back in school" and I assure you that old dogs can learn new tricks.

>> I suggest......
>> Navigate to......

Thank you most kindly for your helpful input. Don't hesitate. I need all the help I can get!

then think on it for a while , it will be a journey , a long journey .

Ayup. Based on everything that's come before, I expect so.

Reply  Post New Thread