Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

TexasThunder Avg MPG 54 - '08 Toyota Prius Base
Red face DIY PDR aka Dent Removal

Help
I have never used a (PDR) paintless dent removal tool/kit or seen one in action.
Dent removal aka PDR tool choices
1.slide pull with glue gun aka new slide pull that does not pierce metal (ebay)
2. dent out kit / dent fix kit (amazon)
Besides using web based purchase choice can these tools be had locally.
I have a vehicle with roof , hood, etc hail damage.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I have used the services of one of the local Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) places. They use a heat gun to soften the paint, to reduce the chances of it cracking and flaking away. They will generally go in behind the dent and push it out from the inside, using a "bodyman's spoon" or another pushing implement. Sometimes they push out more than they need, and have to recess some part of the former dent again.

It seems to be a real art form to me.

I have significant doubts that you would get good results from the glue gun approach, and I would be astonished if you could even get something that looked good at 50 MPH from 50 feet away (a "fifty-fifty job") by using one of the suction cup thingies.

-soD
Old 07-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
I have used the services of one of the local Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) places. They use a heat gun to soften the paint, to reduce the chances of it cracking and flaking away. They will generally go in behind the dent and push it out from the inside, using a "bodyman's spoon" or another pushing implement. Sometimes they push out more than they need, and have to recess some part of the former dent again.

It seems to be a real art form to me.

I have significant doubts that you would get good results from the glue gun approach, and I would be astonished if you could even get something that looked good at 50 MPH from 50 feet away (a "fifty-fifty job") by using one of the suction cup thingies.

-soD
You have different pdr tools and tool kits. Bodyman spoons have been around for a long time period. A internet search shows ss whale tail pdr rods. Sheet metal deflection is better if u pull versus push .The heat gun works the metal as well as the paint elastic prop nature H&S tool mfg(Canada) makes several body shop tools one of which is called a glue puller
http://http://www.hsautoshot.com/EngIndex.html
Old 07-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
The suction cup method can work well on semi large shallow dents like from some one sitting on your hood.

There is a heat gun, dry ice/duster method that supposedly has good results on some dents. I have not tried that method yet but hope to try it on my dads car later this year. That method you heat the dented area well with out burning the paint and place the cold source on the hot metal the difference in temps causes the dent to pop out. Search on google before performing it though.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
The Following User Says Thank You to Phantom For This Useful Post:
TexasCotton (07-14-2010)
Old 07-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
The suction cup method can work well on semi large shallow dents like from some one sitting on your hood.

There is a heat gun, dry ice/duster method that supposedly has good results on some dents. I have not tried that method yet but hope to try it on my dads car later this year. That method you heat the dented area well with out burning the paint and place the cold source on the hot metal the difference in temps causes the dent to pop out. Search on google before performing it though.
Yea I have read/looked at what you are talking about aka heat gun then CO2 or dry ice which if used incorrectly could scratch finish. I may even try a POP A Dent from local auto part/chain retail store. The suction cup idea is good too but not sure How to size dent to size of suction cup?

I tried "POP A DENT" the glue never attach/bond tight and so when you tight the tool just pulls small tabs of leaving messy glob of glue.

Last edited by TexasCotton; 07-15-2010 at 10:04 AM..
Old 07-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
Heat guns can be bad I once bubbled/crackled the paint on a car at the dealership I worked at when removing a different dealers sticker. Luckily the car was an old used car that was priced at $5000 to sell. Not to bad a record though with removing over 100 stickers from cars and only slightly damaging the paint on 1.

The trick to keeping that from happening is do not stop moving the heat gun and do not heat small sections at a time, but I'm not sure how that works with the method above as I have not tried it. If I get around to trying it I will have to do an instructable on it.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
The Following User Says Thank You to Phantom For This Useful Post:
TexasCotton (07-14-2010)
Old 07-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
The PRC.

Buy a Daewoo (aka Asian Chevvy). Last time I had one of those fixed for dents the guy just pushed them out with his thumb.
TexasCotton (07-14-2010)
Old 07-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RaceJeep - '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 5.9 Limited
90 day: 13.62 mpg (US)
Phantom - for cases like that, try a hair dryer first, then move up to the heat gun if it isn't enough. It doesn't get as hot as a typical heat gun, so it's less likely to damage paint or other surfaces.

Typical driving: Back in Rochester for school, driving is 60 - 70% city
Old 08-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Heat/cold dent removal

I have a bunch of small hail type dents in the roof of my metro. I tried a variation on the hot/cold thermal shock dent removal method a month or so ago. Waited for a 102 degree day with my dark blue car parked out in direct sunlight. I believe I could have fried an egg on the roof. I placed several small rubber collars about 2 inches deep over several hail dents. Since I had access to it, I took a thermos full of Liquid nitrogen and filled each collar. It took a minute or two for the N2 to vaporize from each collar and as it was doing so I could hear the metal popping and booming. I repeated the treatment a few hours later after the sun had reheated the metal. Sadly, I could'nt see any reduction in the depth of these small dents.

Reply  Post New Thread