Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Do Have Better Situational Awareness While Hypermiling?
Yes 34 91.89%
No 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 03:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichotomous View Post
I feel about as aware when hypermiling my car, as I do in general riding my motorcycle. which is very aware. I tend to not be anywhere near as aware in my car as my bike, since there is a full heavy steel cage around me instead of nothing around me and sitting with 4.5gallons of gasoline between my motor and my crotch. so being bike aware in the car, is a very cool thing. kinda reminds me of back when I would come home after snowboarding, finding the perfect momentum for everything (snowboarding momentum and gavity are you ONLY engine, and there are lots up uphill sections on the slopes suprisingly, you get good at knowing your glide)
Agreed. Motorcycles make you VERY sensitive to what is going on around you, as well as what is going on underneath you. More tuned to traffic, more tuned to the sound of your engine, more tune to what may be laying on the road. It definitely helped my driving style. I'm much more aware of tar snakes, road surface texture changes, tire/engine noise, and whether or not cars around me are gaining/losing ground relative to my position.

Last edited by Nevyn; 12-16-2008 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: grammar police
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

CivySi - '03 honda civic SI
90 day: 31.99 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevyn View Post
Agreed. Motorcycles make you VERY sensitive to what is going on around you, as well as what is going on underneath you. More tuned to traffic, more tuned to the sound of your engine, more tune to what may be laying on the road. It definitely helped my driving style. I'm much more aware of tar snakes, road surface texture changes, tire/engine noise, and whether or not cars around me are gaining/losing ground relative to my position.
and with a sport bike, even my "low powered" sport bike (only 75hp/45tq, compared to 190hp/90tq on a bigbore) the throttle response and acceration is instant you really have to have your head into what you are doing. let you head slip for a second and you are in triple digits.

but every bike requires you to pay more attention, because the fact that you are moving fast and could die really easily at these speeds is right there all around you, its not hidden behind glass and steel.

I really think that motorcycle training should be required for people to get car licenses (aside from those who physically cannot ride). mainly because it makes you have a healthy fear of transportation so you can use your judgement better. I want to put my sister in the program and have her ride a bike for a summer, she's so clueless when driving.... I was driving right next to her in my VERY loud white civic (rare model though, looks way different) with black hood, honking at her in the next lane while driving, she wasnt even aware that someone was honking at her from 4 feet away...... that would change if she was used to riding.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Whoop's Wheels - '89 Honda Civic Wagovan
90 day: 39.09 mpg (US)
Well, I answered the poll with a No, but I would have probably answered with a maybe, if that had been a choice. On one hand, I find to work towards better mileage it takes a lot of effort, which at times I find myself becoming to focused on the details to where I'm not paying attention to the overall circumstances.

I suspect in most cases it makes us more aware of things, but if you become overly caught up in focusing on becoming aware of those things, my mind can tend to become less aware of my surroundings than I would like.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Absolutely. I am WAY more attentive now than I used to be, in front, to the back, watching side roads, etc...

Maybe I was a little less aware when I was first learning, and watching the gauges a lot. Now it's second nature, and the gauges are for confirmation and motivation.

I choose to eliminate potential distractions like food and music. The radio is off, so I can concentrate and hypermile better.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 12-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Losing the MISinformation

Quad Cam - '00 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX
Last 3: 25.94 mpg (US)
Murphy's Law for hypermiling???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Having said all that, I'll probably go crash into a tree next time I get behind the wheel...
LOL! Sounds like at least a Murphy's corollary to me...

...and I vote yes, too... after getting used to the new stuff...

The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal...
Old 12-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Maybe I was a little less aware when I was first learning, and watching the gauges a lot. Now it's second nature, and the gauges are for confirmation and motivation.

I choose to eliminate potential distractions like food and music. The radio is off, so I can concentrate and hypermile better.
+1.

But sometimes it feels like a toss-up. I used to drive 55-60 highway and 70 freeway even at night and felt comfortable doing so. Ive had countless quick deer stops too and knock on wood Ive never slammed one. Since hypermiling Ive been going 55-60 freeway and 45-50 highway at night and it feels like itd scare me to go the speeds I used to go. Driving in daylight is a rare thing for me except in summer.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 12-17-2008, 11:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I believe that Amateur racing experience has helped my on-road driving alot.. So my situational awareness was probably above average to begin with, as it were.

Since learning about P&G, and applying the technique in practice (even without instrumentation, it's helping), I've gotten used to the sequence of events to the point where I don't pay attention when coming out of gear or into gear anymore, it doesn't require my attention. Now that this is the case, I believe that my awareness has increased substantially more than it even used to be, given previous experience, now that I have to think and pay a little more attention to when/where I should be pulsing vs. gliding, and deciding whether it will be beneficial to cut my pulse short and begin gliding earlier, or to pulse a little longer to get to that hill, so I can maintain my higher speed longer, before decelerating on the glide, etc.

All those things are considerations to me now, whereas before it was "Don't use the brakes, good drivers don't need them." And I usually didn't, unless I intended to stop, or needed an emergency maneuver.

I voted yes, but also with the caveat that MetroMPG mentioned, maybe even a little further drawn out for some.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yes to some degree. In comparison to talking on the cell phone, Yes! I hate talking on my phone while driving.

Hypermiling on the cell phone is suicide!

Following my typical 50-60 P&G on the highway with my eyes on the rearview, I would say I'm EXTREMELY AWARE.

P&Ging in the city or trying to be incorporate a new hypermiling technique then I'd be a little less aware.