Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

FEcamp - '16 Subaru Outback Premium
90 day: 29.55 mpg (US)
Dodge Magnum 3.5L improvements (SXT6)

Thought I would chronicle my attempts at mods on my Magnum here to help improve fuel eco. It is a 2008 Dodge Magnum SXT with 6 cyl 3.5L engine and 4 speed automatic. Quite the heavy beast but it is big enough to allow me to do everything. It is also smaller than a SUV and fun to drive.

1. I started with the free ones. Removed the snorkel/muffler on the intake Air silencer removal

2. Next I redirected cold air toward the remaining intake from the radiator. XE Ryder's Chilly air intake mod

3. A new set of shocks/struts to replace the warn out ones. These were adjustable height. I got BC Racing coilovers. So I ended up dropping it about 1".

4. Tuner: DiabloSport inTune and changed it to the 93 octane tune. Yes it is a more expensive fuel but my engine requires 89 octane. I have a Costco nearby so no 89 there but 93. The 93 is cheaper than the 89 at other gas stations so why not.

5. Currently a grill block has been built. Details below.

Last edited by leanAztek; 01-08-2015 at 07:41 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

For the grill block I used paper, a crayon, masking tape, cardboard, duct tape, and toggle bolts to attach it.
So I started with many pieces of paper taped together and the crayon to get a "print" of the front grill.

Next cut out a piece of cardboard to get the rough dimensions.

I had to leave the Ram exposed for style I then whittled away at the cardboard till it was a exact fit. (or so I thought) Then I wrapped the cardboard in silver duct tape to help strengthen it and mild waterproofing.

Closeup

As you can see from the closeup that the edges don't quite go all the way over. Having the cardboard wrap around the center grill beams shrunk everything. I meant to do a full block but then thought I should have some way to reduce it if needed. So I cut it off at the bottom so I could make a second piece to be able to come off if I needed more cooling. Well the second piece didn't fit and my mounting method required longer screws so I abandoned it.
I plan on making a new one out of chloroplast that I have if this works. So far it has. Warmup in the 40s-50s F is quicker. I am running a tank through currently to see how it ends up.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

So warm up was helped a lot in 20 degrees or less. From about 4 mile to full temps down to 2 or 2.5 miles. That means I can crank up the heat that much sooner.

With the huge grill blocked the air is not captured and driven into the engine compartment. Lots of drag that way. The air then has to go up and over the car. If you ever watch NASCAR racing they talk about front end tape. They block those grills as much as possible and peal off a little bit of tape to keep the engine from overheating. Our grill is big enough to cool the engine with 100+ degree outside temperatures. I very rarely have that in MI.

I have taken it off. Did that about a 1 month ago. This kind of mod needs lots of attention to engine temps though. You can't just put one on then ignore the engine temps. My wife drives this occasionally so I didn't want her to have to worry about it.

I was not able to do a ABA comparison. The big benefit was the faster temps to be able to turn on the heat. I may re-install some time to find what kind of FE improvement happens. Not sure when. I don't have a scan guage or instant MPG reading to watch.