EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   The Dream Ideal Reasonable Eco-Modded Car (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/dream-ideal-reasonable-eco-modded-car-24281.html)

AaronMartinSole 12-11-2012 11:05 PM

The Dream Ideal Reasonable Eco-Modded Car

If you had a car you could completely modify however you wished, yet wanted to be able to give this car to an elderly person or a regular person, which means no EOC and kill switches and belt-less driving and trickle charging and the like, (you know, key-in and go, no maintenance or radical mods or inconveniences at all), what would that dream ideal list of mods be? How many MPGs might it reasonably give? The car can look different and eccentric.

If I could change the title, I'd add non-radical somewhere in there. Or non-invasive mods. Or something along those lines.

mcrews 12-12-2012 09:11 AM

Gotta say, the approach that bmw is taking on the 3 series....w/ start stop and other minor eco friendly mods is close to what your asking for, IMHO.

or a turbo diesel vw gti

Daox 12-12-2012 09:23 AM

Well, if we're talking about radical bodies mine would look a lot like an Aptera 2E, electric drive, solar panels on top to minimally increase range... Yeah, that'd do it. It wouldn't really need modification as it would be the most aerodynamic vehicle I can think of. Maintenance would be next to nothing since its electric. All you have to do is plug it in to recharge...

If thats too radical, a EV converted first gen Honda Insight would also get the job done. Add the usual aeromods to it like a grill block, belly pan and boat tail and you'd have an amazing vehicle.

Frank Lee 12-12-2012 09:29 AM

I want a Pillbug.

Smurf 12-12-2012 11:06 AM

I'm curious what Chrysler's 8-speed automatic could do in an MPG application.

For example, if the Dakota wasn't so buttugly, they could use the "smart" 4cyl from the Dart with the 8 speed automatic, and possibly beat the typical Ford Ranger parts runner trucks in efficiency. Or taxi cabs with 8 speeds. Or police vehicles. State fleet vehicles.

AaronMartinSole 12-12-2012 04:13 PM

For example, I would probably do something along the lines of:

-Front Air Dam/Shark Nose Dam
-Kammback/Boat Tail
-Front and Rear Wheel Skirts & Smooth Caps
-Wiper Deflector
+Keep both side mirrors

-Fuel Efficient Tires w/ a conservative 40psi (for decreased tire wear)
-Ride Height Reduction

(know very little about these, but I'm curious about these more advanced mods)
-Advance Ignition Timing
-Warm Air Intake
-Taller Manual Gear
-Camshaft Swap

-I've also heard gapping spark plugs a little wider may help a little, but probably too inconsequential to even bother.

What am I missing? Heh, these lists remind me of all those modified cars people sell on Craigslist with their list of performance mods. But instead, we've got eco-mods. But they do cross over and we have things in common. But I'm sure they do hate us for driving a tad slow. Go around! You have your own lane! Is there a magnet on my bumper? I'm sorry! Fine I'll speed up!

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 12-26-2012 02:06 AM

I'd want something with a rear-mounted engine, allowing me to streamline its front-end as much as possible without clearance issues, and a Diesel engine. Possibly with a custom fiberglass body on a VW Beetle frame.