Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModder Blog Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
The PRC.

Driving Impressions

Hi,

Is there a space or a possibility for a space for road tests by ecomodders of vehicles with good FE ? This may be a test of a new car, a used car, or a hire car you wouldn't normally drive and so on. I'm also thinking something like a a short review possibly based on some standard headings e.g. :

What is it ?
What kind of car, size, engine and trans options, prices new or used, age, would suit (e.g. families, people who tow, people who don't tow etc.)

Stats
Official FE, and maybe some links to others who have done better or worse

Driving
Brief 2-4 paras on what you did - e.g. a quick run round the block vs a run up the highway, impressions, noise levels, comfort, etc.

Misc
Did you buy it yes, no, why ?

My thought is that there are loads of sites which do this kind of things, fans of Honda or VW or BMW or Toyota or etc etc. But perhaps not a site where FE is the main issue under discussion.

This idea is not fully formulated but I'm also wondering if it could be incorporated into the blog element of the site in some way, perhaps under the control of the mods. The blog has not been updated in a while and the 2nd birthday post is still there - from 2009 I know the site 'owners' have other lives so maybe this is a way of putting some new life into that part.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Learning quick

Good Altima - '06 Nissa Altima 2.5s
I bought a 2006 automatic altima in 2008. Good car overall. Not great for hypermiling. But... Without any hypermiling techniques I got an average of about 550km per tank. With a grill block, mx psi tires and conservative driving (engine on coasting, ignition off at red lights, no drive thrus, junk out of car, following the spped limit). I now average about 950km per tank. So I believe any car can be hypermiled. By dream hypermile car would be the 2007 toyota camry se manual trans... small 4 cylinder in a nice safe car. Possible of 40 mpg . All for about 10 grand canadian. So good value.

If you're rich.. Jetta diesel or prius.
The Following User Says Thank You to doomz78 For This Useful Post:
Arragonis (06-21-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
The PRC.

Hi,

Thanks for replying, and that is the kind of thing I was wondering about. We have a Unicorn barn could we have a test or impressions barn please, mods ?

Ta.

A.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
This might be a good sort of a thing to get going in the Wiki.

Seems like that's what wikis are for, right? People collaborating and compiling information?

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 06-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
This might be a good sort of a thing to get going in the Wiki.

Seems like that's what wikis are for, right? People collaborating and compiling information?
Weeell, kind of. I always kind of viewed wikis as being factual, i.e. how to-s, "this is the diagram of x" etc. I'm kind of thinking more or less someone's opinion, a review if you like but from an FE and EM point of view as opposed to how it tows, how it goes 0-60 like most motor websites and magazines do.

This was done (occasionally) in the blog (which seems done for just now) and some folks have asked about specific cars - e.g. 2012 Focus, Fiesta etc.

Just an idea.

I did a test drive tonight and may post something later about what I mean as a try out.

I am no writer though

EDIT - I am not saying that an entry in the wiki for it is not a good idea though...