EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Drove a Kei truck yesterday -- first time in a Kei (not far or fast) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/drove-kei-truck-yesterday-first-time-kei-not-34915.html)

MetroMPG 02-27-2017 03:24 PM

Drove a Kei truck yesterday -- first time in a Kei (not far or fast)

2 Attachment(s)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1488226239

While I would have preferred that my first ever drive in a Kei car would have been at the helm of a sweet, sweet Honda Beat, that's not how things turned out.

Instead, I got to drive this 1996 Daihatsu Hijet mini truck.

My buddy bought it for hunting, small jobs and general running around on his rural property rather than getting a side-by-side ATV type machine... primarily because the mini-truck is enclosed and has heat. And cost $3500.

Specs:

- 3-cyl, 660 cc, SOHC 6-valve engine with 44 PS (43 hp)
- 5-speed manual trans
- ~1500 lbs curb weight

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daihatsu_Hijet

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1488227386

Unfortunately, my driving experience was limited to bouncing down a muddy, bumpy road. I never got past 2nd gear.

I would have loved to get it up to 80 km/h / 50 mph (secondary highway speed limit), to see how the gearing & handling was.

My friend sometimes drives it into town, but he says he would not drive it on the highway.

Daox 02-27-2017 03:39 PM

How did it handle the off roading?

MetroMPG 02-27-2017 03:43 PM

I honestly didn't test its capabilities at all.

But my friend says he's had it in some surprisingly sticky situations and it's come through OK.

It's even got a lift kit on it! :D

Saskwatchian 02-27-2017 05:02 PM

I test drove one in Quebec many years ago. I can't remember the exact model, but I got it up to 100km/h on a highway. It really felt more comfortable in the 60km/h and under range around town. It would have made a great runaround utility machine, but not for long road-trips.

MetroMPG 02-27-2017 06:27 PM

Also, the seat backs were FLAT. And I had it as far back as it goes against the back of the cab, and I'm only average height.

Frank Lee 02-27-2017 07:52 PM

I wonder if putting one of those 660s in a Metro would yield good results.

I've sat in a kei pickup and it was really really snug, but I've (tried to) get in worse. Mid-70's Datsun pickups and VW Rabbit pickups comes to mind. :/

MetroMPG 02-27-2017 08:06 PM

Good question.

Just for comparison, the difference between the 1.2L and 1.0L in the Mirage yields ~7.5% better fuel economy (combined rating). And that's an apples to apples comparison, since both engines are available in Europe, and are measured on the same test.

So, "yup" would be my bet.

Frank Lee 02-27-2017 10:24 PM

A Suzuki 660 engine might even bolt right up to the trans...

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 02-28-2017 02:36 PM

I've already had some contact with export versions of Kei cars, with 800cc engines instead of the 660cc ones.

Sjoegerd 02-28-2017 04:20 PM

Love those Hi-Jets! They were used around my hometown by the local authority. Because of their size, they were perfect around parks and alleys. Some of them were fitted with an electric tipper.

If you like these, also look for the Suzuki Carry and the Piaggio Porter.

rmay635703 02-28-2017 10:21 PM

There is a licensed and plated one tooling around downtown Wausau with landscaping tools.

Guy says a dentist owns it.

skyking 02-28-2017 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 535156)
I wonder if putting one of those 660s in a Metro would yield good results.

I've sat in a kei pickup and it was really really snug, but I've (tried to) get in worse. Mid-70's Datsun pickups and VW Rabbit pickups comes to mind. :/

LOL Frank! Let me paint you a picture:
Dad bought a 68 datsun new, and us three brothers learned to drive in it. We are all 6' tall guys. Sometimes we'd go load manure by fork into it.
Those things weigh 2000 and haul 2000, hence they ride like a brick empty.
So here we go, both windows down and an arm and part of a shoulder out each side, the driver had the brake and clutch, the middle guy had the throttle and shifter. The right side pointed and laughed.

niky 03-06-2017 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 535136)
I would have loved to attempt to get it up to 80 km/h / 50 mph (secondary highway speed limit), to see how the gearing & handling was.

Fixed. :D

-

Seriously, though, most kei trucks can do 80 no issues. They're noisy at it, though.

-

The Suzuki ones also come in 4x4, by the way.

Always wanted to try one off-road.

MetroMPG 03-06-2017 09:25 AM

This one was 4x4 as well. Not sure what type of system - it just had a button on the dash.

Fingie 03-07-2017 08:42 AM

probably a vacuum lock AWD.

Fingie 03-07-2017 08:46 AM

Here in finland, there was sold a model called Suzuki Carry, both in van and pick-up configurations. it has a 1000cc engine.

There is a super-rare trim of it with lockable 4wd.

http://brakehorsepower.com.au/wp-con...uki-carry1.jpg

And a couple of Subaru domingos.
they have a 1200cc engine, and I think the majority has part-lock 4wd

http://auto.webalta.ru/img/gallery/s...-domingo-1.jpg

MetroMPG 03-07-2017 09:35 AM

Neat vans! Love the wheel covers.

My friend's usual vehicle is the GM pickup truck in the top photo, which I think explains why he is not comfortable driving his mini-truck even on the secondary highways around his place.

I would have gladly done it, but I'm already used to driving a little car with a 1.0.

For him, it's a relatively huge difference.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-08-2017 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fingie (Post 535533)
Here in finland, there was sold a model called Suzuki Carry, both in van and pick-up configurations. it has a 1000cc engine.

A small amount of them were also sold in Brazil too, I remember that a Suzuki dealer in Florianópolis used a 4WD one as a service van until some 15 years ago. But they didn't outnumber the Asia Motors Towner, which was a license-built version of the Daihatsu Hijet much like the current Piaggio Porter.

niky 03-09-2017 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fingie (Post 535533)

http://brakehorsepower.com.au/wp-con...uki-carry1.jpg

And a couple of Subaru domingos.
they have a 1200cc engine, and I think the majority has part-lock 4wd

http://auto.webalta.ru/img/gallery/s...-domingo-1.jpg

Damn pretty thing. Looks like an old Toyota Lite Ace with a panoramic roof!

But smaller! More desirable!

Fingie 03-10-2017 06:08 PM

haha :D all used liteaces got shipped to Africa

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-10-2017 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niky (Post 535682)
Looks like an old Toyota Lite Ace with a panoramic roof!

All those Jap vans (or wagon as they call them there) look the same anyways :D

One feature I like about the Subaru Domingo is that it has a rear engine, much like the good old VW T2.

Fingie 03-12-2017 09:01 AM

it has the same driveline as the Subaru Justy :D

MetroMPG 03-20-2017 04:36 PM

Possibly related!

This Guy Drove 1000 Miles Across America In A Japanese Kei Van And Wasn't Blown To Smithereens

From the video, it appears 6000 RPM = roughly 105 km/h (~65 mph). 6500 is redline. At least that's what his little turbo Suzuki van was doing. (With possibly taller gearing!) 6500

rmay635703 03-20-2017 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 536540)
Possibly related!

This Guy Drove 1000 Miles Across America In A Japanese Kei Van And Wasn't Blown To Smithereens

From the video, it appears 6000 RPM = roughly 105 km/h (~65 mph). 6500 is redline. At least that's what his little turbo Suzuki van was doing. (With possibly taller gearing!) 6500

My father drove his electric kei van about 20000 miles and only got hit once by an old asian dude that ran a stop light.

Van is still driveable but with a massive dented spot :(

If you check the subaru 360 forums that club used to have meetups and everyone would drive their 360 across the country to the meet.

Too Bad we don't have more of those little guys around here.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-20-2017 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 536540)

Their gearing is usually quite low, to make up for the low torque and high RPM.

Fingie 03-21-2017 02:50 PM

these low-geared ones are meant for in-town deliveries. you can find one with a longer box too if you hunt for one

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-22-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fingie (Post 536640)
these low-geared ones are meant for in-town deliveries. you can find one with a longer box too if you hunt for one

Longer box? Don't you mean differential? Anyway, it seems like the turbocharged versions would be more suitable to a higher final drive ratio.

Fingie 03-22-2017 12:45 PM

i meant has taller gearing, so the RPM isn't so high.

PaleMelanesian 03-22-2017 02:21 PM

Cool! I was actually considering one of these 2 years ago when I bought my mini-farm. I ended up getting the ATV instead for one main reason - you can get those with 2 rows of seating. I have a family so it's a better way to get them around the place.

I got a Polaris Ranger Crew, which is almost the same length and width and weight as the Daihatsu you drove. Just with more seats and less bed, and more off-road tires.

kimer6 03-22-2017 02:23 PM

Dihatsu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 535140)
How did it handle the off roading?

I was assigned to a 4 wheel drive Diahatsu truck at the refinery. It had fat off road tires while the rest of the fleet had narrow street tires. This was in the mid 90's and I believe a 2 cylinder engine was in it. The top governed speed was 28mph. My partner and I went a lot of places with it, carried heavy pumps, tools, hoses, etc. We never got stuck in the mud in one place down a riverbank where we had to frequently service some pumps. There was limited suspension travel and ground clearance so this truck was not meant for off roading. It would have served nicely for grounds maintenance, golf courses, or light duty farm purposes.

Bicycle Bob 03-22-2017 02:37 PM

I have a neighbor who uses his for most errands and loves it. I see a wide variety of loads. The highways are not busy here. I see another used as a short-haul water tanker.
The 4wd vans are popular as jitney cabs in nearly-roadless 3rd world frontiers, and there are very posh camping conversions for two people available. The same layouts can be home-built. The later models with a safer front engine have recently become available in Canada.

MetroMPG 03-22-2017 03:16 PM

Fun stories.

kimer6: that's how my friend uses his -- light "off-roading" around his property.

Varn 03-22-2017 04:39 PM

Neighbor had one similar. His had regular street tires with 4 wheel chains. I drove it off road down through a creek and all over his place. Then took it out on the road. Really like it, drove like a mtn goat. Most people put off road tires on them.

Here they are legal on the road Just like any other ATV. There are restrictions unlike the old days. You can't drive state highways, keep it under 30mph and have a red flag.

I would like one with a dump bed.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-24-2017 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob (Post 536747)
The 4wd vans are popular as jitney cabs in nearly-roadless 3rd world frontiers, and there are very posh camping conversions for two people available. The same layouts can be home-built.

Not just the vans, and also not only the 4WD ones, are widely used as jitney cabs in Southeast Asia and Africa. Anyway, I have already considered to get a Korean license-made version of the Daihatsu Hijet that had been available in my country in the '90s and try to make a modular camping conversion that could be easily removed when not in use.

Quote:

The later models with a safer front engine have recently become available in Canada.
As long as it's 15-year or older, isn't that easier to register a Kei van there in Canada than in the U.S.? Are them granted access to the highways there?

Fingie 03-24-2017 11:12 AM

here in finland it has to be older than 2001. Id like to import a Kei car one day here. Maybe a Daihatsu Move /T-U-R-B-O/

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-24-2017 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fingie (Post 536931)
here in finland it has to be older than 2001. Id like to import a Kei car one day here. Maybe a Daihatsu Move /T-U-R-B-O/

Brazil on the other hand requires a second-hand grey import to be at least 30-year old in order to become eligible, for import as a collection car, even though some folks found odd ways to circumvent this rule in the '90s. Anyway, even though some random Kei car from the same vintage is likely to be better than the locally-built Ford Ka Mk.1, presumably the shipment costs would still lead it to not be so competitive here if we could import used cars from Japan as freely as Paraguayans can do.

Pryme 03-26-2017 08:50 PM

Can these be found here in the states? Are they legal to register?

rmay635703 03-26-2017 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pryme (Post 537130)
Can these be found here in the states? Are they legal to register?

Certain examples are, check out Subaru 360, there are usually a few "sambars" for sale

Another kei car is the Miles zx40 line which are electric micro vans and trucks

Otherwise 25 year old examples plus a police walk around will get one legal after the title company does its job inmost states

Good luck

Leo.IT 03-27-2017 06:51 AM

This kind of little truck is still made by Piaggio in my hometown, Pontedera.
It's called the Piaggio Porter and it came in several versions during the past 25 years, like 4wd, diesel powered, full electric and high loading capacity.
Now it's only powered by a 1.3 l 4 cyliders petrol engine with also the LPG and the natural gas versions available.
There is also a "detaxed" version called "Quargo" with limited top speed at 80 km/h featuring a 2 cylinders 0.7 liters diesel engine with 13 kW of output, but I think that it has a rear mounted engine instead the front-central position of the standard Porter.

Modelli Piaggio Veicoli Commerciali - Piaggio Veicoli Commerciali

Daschicken 03-31-2017 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 537024)
Brazil on the other hand requires a second-hand grey import to be at least 30-year old in order to become eligible, for import as a collection car, even though some folks found odd ways to circumvent this rule in the '90s. Anyway, even though some random Kei car from the same vintage is likely to be better than the locally-built Ford Ka Mk.1, presumably the shipment costs would still lead it to not be so competitive here if we could import used cars from Japan as freely as Paraguayans can do.

30 YEARS OLD!? And I thought America's 25 year ban was ridiculous! :eek:

The maintenance staff at my campus uses kei vans, cute little things, but annoying when they drive on the sidewalk instead of the road around the campus....