Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #41 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Steam makes a darn good/cheap anti-knock additive...and carbon-deposit remover.

The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
radioranger (12-07-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

MC SBX - '95 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS
Last 3: 29.75 mpg (US)
if you were running stainless everything, it wouldn't hurt too much.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:56 AM   #43 (permalink)
radioranger

if you guessed right and on certain engines it might work great others maybe not so much, if you could bump up timing or compression or if your engine need premium it might negate that need, needs experiment to tell of course.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Maxima - '02 Nissan Maxima GLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternStarSCR View Post
From what I have read, on the Bob Is The Oil Guy, and thread from 2008 on the LS1 site, the important aspect is that the fact it is an ashless TC-W3 is what makes it OK in modern cars

Along with the 640:1 mix ratio, which means very insignificant amount of heavy metals that can contaminate an O2 or CAT.

NOTE: The ASH type, (TC or similiar), 2 stroke oil is NOT what you want to use.

The KEY is "TC-W 3" oil. By any manufacturer, it is ashless, with lubricants and solvents to do the job that the other forums have researched and tested to be correct and useful.

But, I am just repeating what I have read so far, as its job as an Upper Cylinder Lubricant, and to help (hopefully) negate any ethanol related issues, even if E10 is OK and not seeming to have issues with your car.
I am glad someone else read up on the TCW3 here. I am pretty interested in it and it seems like a great idea especially after reading the LS1 site and Maxima site threads dedicated to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prophecy99 For This Useful Post:
radioranger (12-07-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Vader - '15 Dodge Grand Caravan
90 day: 23.13 mpg (US)

Cmax - '13 Ford Cmax SEL
90 day: 40.92 mpg (US)
Corn gas certainly has a following in the the hi-po world.

Gas Versus E85 - Converting To Corn - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

Allch Chcar, I checked with my uncle just for you and he confirmed he put the lid on his mason jar, and screwed it tight to keep air out.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternStarSCR View Post

Here is my belief: My belief is that corn should be food, then feed, and then fuel. Am I misinformed on that? Seriousy, I think that makes sense, but I am willing to stand corrected... Is corn much more complicated in its uses and process by-products than this simplification?

Does ethanol negatively impact availablity, price, and quality of our nations food supply and the soil on where it is grown?
I don't understand why so many people get caught up on the incidental edibility of the crop most commonly associated with ethanol production. If you put the exact same effort and land into growing an inedible grass for ethanol, would that bother you? Why is it a problem that the crop happens to be edible? Does it bother you to wash your car with water when you could drink water too? Today I'm going to use citric acid to clean some aluminum truss, does that bother you because citric acid is a food ingredient?

As has been discussed in other threads on the topic, corn ethanol production occurs side-by-side with animal feed production. The animal feed, various grades of de-starched and de-sugared corn meal and mash is rich in nutrients and protein, ships and stores and dispenses more easily than whole corn and helps keep the animals healthier than whole corn. That feed has become an important and massive part of the livestock supply chain, enough that we can consider ethanol a byproduct of feed manufacture with equal emphasis.

It's not food or fuel, it's food and fuel. In another thread I dissected how much money that saves every one of us annually, net, after food costs are considered.
Allch Chcar (12-06-2012), Frank Lee (12-06-2012), radioranger (12-07-2012), WesternStarSCR (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #47 (permalink)
tru
EcoModding Apprentice

tru - '05 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 39.46 mpg (US)

the truck - '02 GMC Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Bwah ha ha.

I'd run it in my '59 Chevy and I wager nothing bad would come of it.
I didnt think you were this ignorant...but this seals the deal for me.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #48 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
The '59 has never gotten anything less than E10 in the 13 years I've owned it. I've run E85 in a '76 Chevy pickup; I've been running E10 for about 30 years in everything; I've been running various strength blends of E85/E10 in my fuel injected stuff for... oh... almost 10 years?

You've been on here for a while; I didn't think you were ignorant enough to say something like that.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel View Post
I don't understand why so many people get caught up on the incidental edibility of the crop most commonly associated with ethanol production. If you put the exact same effort and land into growing an inedible grass for ethanol, would that bother you? Why is it a problem that the crop happens to be edible? Does it bother you to wash your car with water when you could drink water too? Today I'm going to use citric acid to clean some aluminum truss, does that bother you because citric acid is a food ingredient?

As has been discussed in other threads on the topic, corn ethanol production occurs side-by-side with animal feed production. The animal feed, various grades of de-starched and de-sugared corn meal and mash is rich in nutrients and protein, ships and stores and dispenses more easily than whole corn and helps keep the animals healthier than whole corn. That feed has become an important and massive part of the livestock supply chain, enough that we can consider ethanol a byproduct of feed manufacture with equal emphasis.

It's not food or fuel, it's food and fuel. In another thread I dissected how much money that saves every one of us annually, net, after food costs are considered.
If dried distillers grain (DDG)and the other "food" by-products of ethanol production is so much healthier than whole corn, why isn't it being sold as human food and being incorporated into breakfast cereals and other food items that normally contain corn. Why is it considered fine for animals, but not for people? Everything I have read about DDG in livestock feed discusses how much you can add to livestock rations (about 20 to 30%) before you start seeing a negative effect on growth. That it is an inexpensive, readily available alternative to corn, but is not a direct replacement for it.

DDG might be true for large scale livestock producers, but doesn't help the guy with a few head of cattle or who keeps a small flock of chickens for eggs who sees the price of corn and corn containing feed keep going up at the local Tractor Supply.

Also it doesn't address the problem of food shortages, riots, urban unrest, and government overthrows in 3rd world countries being caused by the ever increasing price of corn due to the ever increasing demand of corn for ethanol production. The increasing availability of dried distiller's grain for livestock feed in this country doesn't help the situation in the 3rd world for the guy who can rarely, if ever, afford meat and is increasingly unable to afford the corn to feed his family.
WesternStarSCR (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #50 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Gee, a bottleneck caused by population vs resource pressures. Who'da thunk it?

Obviously I should switch my diet over to tofu and ricecakes so that we don't need to waste all that precious corn on meat production.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
radioranger (12-07-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread