Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #41 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybobby View Post
There sure is water in that E10 crap, they aren't making 200 proof alcohol to add into gasoline. Just pour a quart into a glass jar and let it sit for a week and you will see the cloudiness and separation. Leave it in a carburated motorsickle for more than about 6 weeks and you'll be pulling the carbs to clean the spooge out of the pilot jets. Yes it costs more for pure gas, but it's still cheaper than rebuilding carbs and gives better mpg.
I bought a gasoline generator off craigs list for cheap because it doesn't run right, inside its carburetor is all cruded up with something, my guess is E10 sitting in the tank for ages.
None of my other gasoline powered machines have had a problem like this, but I run E0 in them.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #42 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

the other is just a redirect site.

Edit:
puregas. org = redirect
pure-gas. org = real site

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #43 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I don't see how the natural gas used to make the ammonium nitrate fertilizer, electrical power to water the crops, all the petro chemical based pesticides, non replenished aquifers that are depleted are renewable.

Would you say that if every kernal was made into tortillas?

Quote:
None of my other gasoline powered machines have had a problem like this, but I run E0 in them.
And nobody ever, ever had water in the gas problems before ethanol. Not. There were far more water problems back in the day than there are now.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 12-22-2013 at 10:34 PM..
Old 12-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

theBeater - '94 Isuzu Trooper S
90 day: 19.09 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
And nobody ever, ever had water in the gas problems before ethanol. Not. There were far more water problems back in the day than there are now.
May be true, but I would blame that on quality of tanks in the ground, quality of vent systems on vehicles, and a host of other issues that have greatly improved over the years. Water absorption and phase separation in E fuels is not a myth. Sucks the fuel octane drops when water absorption happens, otherwise I'd add water to my fuel and use a separator to get just the fuel LOL.

^ above is done all while pulling a trailer semi-frequently
Old 12-24-2013, 03:00 AM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
IF the E10 sold in the US is water free it would have quite some capacity to absorb water before phase separation takes place.
I buy purposely hydrated hE15 and run fine on it, no phase separation, nor bad economy.

I cannot understand how water can lower the octane number, it does not make sense. Water has no ignition point. It cannot lower the ignition point of any fuel it is mixed with.
I'd expect problems on the other end, bad or slow ignition if there was too much water.

In my student years I had an old moped which tank rusted through from the inside. Drained it as I wanted to repair it; found the inside was covered with condense, and indeed the remaining fuel had some water in it. At night the gasoline vapour condenses back in the fuel and sucks in air. As temperature continues to drop the moisture in the air will condense on the inside of the tank. A few drops per night, but accumulating over time.
If we had ethanol blends in those days it would not have happened.

Doessn't anybody have the notion that if regular is good and E10 is bad, it might just not be the ethanol which is to blame but the poor quality of the gas that goes with it?
Do you believe they mix in the same quality as they use for ethanol free gas?

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

MC SBX - '95 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS
Last 3: 29.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Doessn't anybody have the notion that if regular is good and E10 is bad, it might just not be the ethanol which is to blame but the poor quality of the gas that goes with it?
Do you believe they mix in the same quality as they use for ethanol free gas?
it most certainly is worse.... after all, they only have to end up with an octane rating of 85 or so with the pure gasoline portion, then blend in up to 10% ethanol and now we have an 87 octane rated fuel.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Show me what fuel gets shipped for free.
I worry about all the ethanol that gets burned by all those tankers that haul gas all around the country. Not.
Tell you this: Ethanol comes from Springfield, not Bahrain.
So, the tractors run on ????? no fuel at all and you enjoy paying high food prices.

Excellent! `
Old 12-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
The government says it's good ... so it must be good for me. Even if the economics don't play out and it actually uses more fossil fuel to product.

If I put 10% ethanol in my vehicle and lose 10% fuel mileage because of the ethanol, doesn't it mean that the fossil fuels that went into making the ethanol are kind of wasted at this point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Would you say that if every kernal was made into tortillas?

Fuel injection plays a large part in that.

I did surprise myself yesterday. I woke up to about 8'' of snow while at my parents. Didn't feel like shoveling, so I decided to get the snowblower out. The only two cycle gas I found was 3 years old (last time I lived there and used any sort of two cycle equipment).

To my surprise, it did run. Actually fired up on the first try. But ... the last time I used it, I drained the gas completely out of the tank, cleaned the line with fresh gas and drained the carburetor. It also smoked a lot but that was from the oil put in the cylinder to keep it from seizing.

I don't think non-ethanol gas would have fared any different.

I have never used "dry gas" and probably never will. I don't go below 1/2 tank in either of my vehicles and if I have to leave either one for any period of time, I fill the tank up and let it sit.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
So, the tractors run on ????? no fuel at all and you enjoy paying high food prices.

Excellent! `
I do not understand what you are trying to say here.

You did blame ethanol for the fuel needed to ship it.
To ship ethanol anywhere you need fuel. Yes.
To ship gas anywhere you need fuel too.
That's my point. Nothing ships for free.

I never said make ethanol when there is a shortage of food.
I hope everybody is wise enough to turn food stock into ethanol only when that is not needed for food. To keep farms alive. To form a buffer in good times and use that in bad times.
Ethanol can be stored in large tanks for a long time without deterioration.
So don't blame me for high food prices. With proper management ethanol production would indeed lower food prices.

I hope soon ethanol can be produced by converting lignin to glucose, meaning any woodlike plant could be used to produce ethanol. So the chaff of food crops could be put to use, while the remains can still be used as fertilizer.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Reply  Post New Thread