Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Great stories everyone!!!

We're still traveling and I haven't been able to figured out my wifes 2012 Scion Tc for economy with the traffic we have in countered. Man you guys in California drive fast
So far only managed a poor 34 mpg

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-18-2013, 03:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
The brake pedal is evil

Denny's Detector - '08 Mercury Grand Marquis

Taserface - '17 Chevy Volt
My tank is 13 gallons but it reads empty at 9 gallons down. I could do a 450 mile tank most of the time and not run out of gas but I rarely do over 300 miles to the tank.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
I used to have to hypermile my VW back in my student days to save money. I had a spun aluminum gas tank that replaced my original when it rusted out.

One particularly broke week, in the summer, I had let my tank get particularly low. I had scraped some cash together from odd jobs and headed out for the station. I saw the level in my tank was very low. (no gauge) The gas station was a couple of miles away so I knew I had to conserve. I pulsed and EOC'd all the way like my dad used to do. The engine stalled about 100 feet away from the station but I had just enough momentum to roll in. Opened the tank and it was bone dry. Heh.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
The PRC.

Back in 1987 my dad and I made a camping trip to the North of Scotland. It was fun, different and we even enjoyed the spectacle of the RAF bombing the tiny island in the bay as target practice.

We stayed one night and then enjoyed the next day walking, talking etc.

Unfortunately the weather and rain turned against us so rather than spending another night in a leaky tent which was at risk of blowing away we decided to go home.

Home was 440 miles away and we were in a BL Metro (not the GM kind) which had a 1275cc OHV A-series (think MG Midget but single carb), a tiny 7 gallon tank, an SU carb and "longer" 4sp gearbox (18.6MPH/1000RPM in 4th) - but gears in the sump like the original Mini.

Normally this car would do 210 miles before filling the (annoyingly small) tank and we had done about 110 of those already. We were in Durness, north Scotland and headed south at about 11pm with the wind blowing.

We drove slow and eco, as we knew it then without gauges and feedback in the bad weather. We swapped every hour and used loud music to keep us going - differing tastes which last until today. Of course every garage we passed was closed as it was overnight and this is remote...

Eventually we reached the first main town of Inverness which was about 115 miles away and found a petrol station linked to an Audi dealer which was open. We filled up. I can't remember the exact MPG we worked out but it was well over 50 at that point.

We then swapped about a few times and filled up again between Glasgow and Carlisle until we got home and then slept until the next day.

The Metro (a HLE model for those in the know) hadn't been so eco then I expect we would have got stuck at some point, most cars had 4sp and gearing of under 20/1000 rpm.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
France.
On a sunday.
On a motorcycle.

If you've been there you'll know ...

If not :
Beyond the motorways, you'll find very few fuel stations open in France on a sunday.
Foreign cards, debit and credit alike, most often didn't work back then.
And they still don't always work properly in France.

The reserve light having been on for a while already, things were getting rather desperate.
Puttered around @ 80 kph (50 mph), with no accelerations at all, hunched over the fuel tank to cut down on drag.

Eventually found a manned, open fuel station and poured in well over 18L.
The tank was only supposed to hold 18L ...

Reply  Post New Thread