Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

UfoTofU - '91 Honda CRX DX
Last 3: 28.36 mpg (US)
That's a good point. My brother is more Americanised than I am, although his wife is Vietnamese too. Both of them are thin, but they won't turn anything off

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-20-2009, 12:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I don't often eat "American" cuisine... in fact, the most "american" thing I eat is cheeseburgers and "french" fries, which aren't french at all.

I prefer italian food in some cases, for the high carb content of most pasta meals. It makes nice to to go work knowing you won't be killing yourself in a couple hours looking for a few extra carbs to keep you until lunch time.

I prefer asian cuisine for suppers, as they're light (most of the time) and high in nutrients and protein. Great for relaxing at the end of the day, with a small bowl of rice or some egg-soup. (Who'd have thought that chicken broth and egg whites would go so well together?)

I don't normally eat "meals" perse... I don't advocate the "3 squares" mentality. I eat when I'm hungry, and only until I'm not hungry anymore (holidays and really good food aside, of course). The biggest thing I do to keep myself in shape is eat, actually. (More specifically, eat such things in such a manner that won't allow me to over eat, gorge myself, and die of a heart attack before my son's matured.)

One of my favorite things to eat for breakfast is rice, with milk and sugar. (Alas, I eat cane sugar instead of brown sugar... but I use cinnamon too!).

I am far from the norm, though. I was raised poor, and had to make due with what I had, almost every day. There were days where hamburgers were breakfast, lunch, and dinner, so to speak. And that's if we were lucky enough to eat at all. I guess my (mostly) conservative lifestyle is thanks to everyone else's over-taxed life style. I feel that they're wasting enough resources for both of us.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I think the "American obesity epidemic" is a lot like the "Americans want big cars" meme: it's true of a certain segment of the population, but not true of everyone, or even of a majority. For every seriously obese American, you can probably find two or three in a normal weight range, and one training for a marathon.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think the "American obesity epidemic" is a lot like the "Americans want big cars" meme: it's true of a certain segment of the population, but not true of everyone, or even of a majority. For every seriously obese American, you can probably find two or three in a normal weight range, and one training for a marathon.
Well, given that a majority of americans are clinically overweight (which is not the same as obese), it's hard to say whether on not that's really true. Sure, the biggest marathon in the country may get near 100,000 people, but that's a drop in the pond.

But that's why generalizations are great. They will always marginalize the minority, which is sort of the point
Old 04-20-2009, 01:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Daily Driver - '02 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 18.45 mpg (US)
I would have biked to work tonight, but spending time with my wife (something full time school and work limits) made me lose track of time, so I didn't check the weather, I didn't have time to prepare myself to bike to work. I'd rather bike to work than drive, I thoroughly enjoy it, and it takes about the same amount of time since I can sneak through red lights (it's 11pm, there are 3 cars on the whole road system, don't judge my situation).

Now if I could get my wife to bike to her work, 1 mile away, in the winter, that'd be great. Never going to happen. In the summer she will though. I'm far from overweight. In fact, that stupid BMI crap says I'm underweight. By 25 lbs. BS if you ask me. My wife is spot on for her. More BS. She's got extra to spare and she'll admit it.

Just gotta stop being greedy and selfish. It's hard to make people look in the mirror and admit being wrong. But it feels good when you get it out. (could make a parallel to some other organizational group, but I won't).
Old 04-20-2009, 06:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Some of my upwardly mobile yuppie friends are mega consumers who fly regularly and drive to the beach house etc etc..commute from lifestyle farms on the fringe of cities, drive to the gym... they are in shape but use lots of gas.

The big polynesians living near me hardly go anywhere or discard packaging on new product. Except food packaging.

I drive to the beach alot as I like to surf.

I think we are all guilty of not being Armish.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

UfoTofU - '91 Honda CRX DX
Last 3: 28.36 mpg (US)
I have thinner friends than me who have higher BMI because they're taller. I told a man he was too thin. He said he was the correct BMI. My BMI would say I was underweight if I weigh what I weigh when I'm in Asia
Old 04-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

And my BMI would say I'm overweight, even though that extra weight is muscle and my body fat percentage is in the lean range.

I've always gone by the belt test myself: I pull on my pants, cinch up the belt, and look to see if any of my belly is hanging over. If not, I'm fine.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
And my BMI would say I'm overweight, even though that extra weight is muscle and my body fat percentage is in the lean range.

I've always gone by the belt test myself: I pull on my pants, cinch up the belt, and look to see if any of my belly is hanging over. If not, I'm fine.
The "Dunlop" test. If it 'dun lop over, you're still Ok to eat!

(For those who don't catch "redneck" lingo, "'dun" is used to represent "doesn't".)

Old 04-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
BBC NEWS | Health | 1970s lifestyle 'protects planet'

Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Reply  Post New Thread