Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2009, 11:15 PM   #31 (permalink)
PaleMelanesian's Disciple

City - '04 Honda City iDSI EXi
90 day: 47.47 mpg (US)
It would be somewhat appropriate to recoup the billions of barrels lost building up belly fat by converting it to bio-diesel. At least a doctor tried it. And instead of being appreciated, he was hounded out of practice... The world sure applies strange logic to decide what goes, and what doesn't...

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-26-2009, 03:21 AM   #32 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Playslikepage71 -

Wasn't it true 100+ years ago that obesity was a sign of wealth and status? If I could *afford* to eat a lot, I was showing off my wealth. That made sense in 1900 when the average lifespan was less than 45 years (no consequences!). I look at all over-consumption as extensions of the same need/POV/psychology.

Because my Dad is a diabetic, I have been unintentionally raised to be ambivalent towards food. I literally see it as being something that could just as easily kill me as sustain me. I'm not diabetic, but I assume I am at risk, so the underlying psychology is trenchant in me.

In terms of what I eat, I don't have any rules. I say you can eat anything you want, as long as it's in small portions. If you pig out because of "social eating", then you need to eat less to make up for it the next day.

I am also sympathetic to the "eat less live longer" theory, but I don't have a cohesive argument to back it up. It just "fits" my POV.

Right now I'm 10 lbs over my high school weight of 125, and I think that's 5 lbs too much.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 04-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #33 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Playslikepage71 -

Wasn't it true 100+ years ago that obesity was a sign of wealth and status? If I could *afford* to eat a lot, I was showing off my wealth. That made sense in 1900 when the average lifespan was less than 45 years (no consequences!). I look at all over-consumption as extensions of the same need/POV/psychology.

Because my Dad is a diabetic, I have been unintentionally raised to be ambivalent towards food. I literally see it as being something that could just as easily kill me as sustain me. I'm not diabetic, but I assume I am at risk, so the underlying psychology is trenchant in me.

In terms of what I eat, I don't have any rules. I say you can eat anything you want, as long as it's in small portions. If you pig out because of "social eating", then you need to eat less to make up for it the next day.

I am also sympathetic to the "eat less live longer" theory, but I don't have a cohesive argument to back it up. It just "fits" my POV.

Right now I'm 10 lbs over my high school weight of 125, and I think that's 5 lbs too much.

CarloSW2

My father has said, all my life: "Eat to live, don't live to eat."

I pretty much agree about food, with your POV, but for a different reason. I find eating to be a socially disgusting habit, as well as a gross waste of efficiency and time.

(I don't go out with friends so we can watch each other eat.)

Old 04-27-2009, 05:40 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

When I researched about fuel economy for my ENGL 104 class, I found out that obesity accounts for about 3 days of fuel usage every year! It only accounts for the effects of extra weight. The extra weight not only increases the mass to accelerate as well as rolling resistance, but also slightly alters the aerodynamics by compressing the suspension springs. I remember reading about a Prius owner complaining about losing mileage when he had to carpool with an obese coworker - he normally gets 60 MPG, but that time, he only got 52 MPG.

Oh, and a heavy foot on the pedal isn't good for MPG either!

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 04-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #35 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Christ -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
My father has said, all my life: "Eat to live, don't live to eat."

I pretty much agree about food, with your POV, but for a different reason. I find eating to be a socially disgusting habit, as well as a gross waste of efficiency and time.

(I don't go out with friends so we can watch each other eat.)
I know what you mean, but that's not the social norm. There's actually a Star Trek:Enterprise episode where the alien species is offended by humans eating in public. The aliens only ever eat by themselves.

When I'm by myself I have a "military" attitude towards food. Keep it simple and get the job done.

Over the years it's been torture for my Dad because almost *all* social occasions inevitably involve going out to eat. We would sit there gobbling down hamburgers and fries and all he could eat was a salad. Totally unfair.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 04-27-2009, 10:36 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

This is all wrong.

Sports is the problem.

Sports miles uses more gas that fatties extra weight.

And, if everyone got stoned at home, or had a spiritual experience, they would realize that all is vanity and spend more time in quiet endeavors, eat less animal products and probably lose weight more naturally.

Or pets. How much of the national fuel consumption goes to having, acquiring or working in the pet industry.

Supposedly the single biggest environmental thing we can all do is become vegetarians.

Or genetically modify our offspring so they never grow over 4ft or weigh more than 100lbs
Old 04-28-2009, 10:46 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Batmobile - '03 Oldsmobile Alero
90 day: 31.13 mpg (US)
NiHaoMike is getting it! That's where I was going with this thread. I'm not advocating weightloss for the purpose of saving the environment because that is all a very shakey science right now. I'm saying that it would save resources and help the economy by letting people spend money on something besides gasoline. It would also help the healthcare industry by eliminating large numbers of obesity related disease cases.

As far as the obesity as wealth goes, there is such an abundance of food in most places in the world that the idea of showing off your wealth through weight doesn't apply. I'm sure in a place like Somalia it would be desirable to be heavier. Here in the States however, it shows that you're irresponsible.

Blueflame, I don't know what they put in the veggies there in NZ but wow....
Old 05-28-2009, 12:27 AM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Connie - '00 Kawasaki Concours

Good Vibe-rations - '03 Pontiac Vibe GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
I reserve the right to be wrong, but my understanding was that the average lifespan was so low back then, not because people dropped dead at 45, but because the infant mortality rate was so horrendously high. If you made it to say 5yrs old, then barring unforeseen accidents it was likely you would live about as long as people do today.

I would have said they had a chance to live longer due to less processed foods and chemicals... though the quality of medical care if they started to go downhill probably neutralized that to a great extent.

And in an attempt to move this thread largely back on topic:

Ok, lets try this whole "on topic thing" again. (I think I can, I think I can...)

I also subscribe to the "keep it simple & get the job done" in regard to food. The idea of "watching each other eat" does seem a bit weird, though if you take time between mouth-fulls to maintain a conversation it works; also helps you not eat as fast. Also provides an excuse to get together: "lets get something to eat" is a lot more "socially acceptable" than "lets get together and talk (about ____)." I don't like the idea much myself, mainly because it inevitably involves spending more for a sit-down-meal than I would have otherwise spent (I'm perfectly capable of getting my own food and refilling my own drink glass: I don't need to pay someone else to do it).

However, eating out makes a whole lot more sense to me than going to a movie theatre with friends: why should I sit next-to, but not communicate with, friends and pay an arm and a leg to watch a movie and (not) eat overpriced popcorn? I'd much rather rent something and go to someone's house: The popcorn and drinks are cheaper, and you can MST3K to your hearts content without annoying anyone you don't know (at least until they duct tape your mouth shut or sit on your head or the like)! Even though the whole idea of "getting together to watch TV in a group" beats the theatre by far, it's still much worse (as a social event) than a shared meal to my point of view.

Reply  Post New Thread