Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Taking another shot at it

It's been a while since I paid a lot of attention to my MPG for various reasons. I still have the same car, a 2013 Dodge Avenger that I use for daily commute to work which is about 100 miles roundtrip a day. I tracked my MPG on the way home this morning and on the way in to work tonight and both seem to be about 5mpg less than I remember. I got 32.3MPG (mostly hwy)and 31.7MPG (some city) by watching my driving closely, even killing the engine and coasting when I couldn't avoid traffic lights. After reading a few threads, I'm figuring the cold may have something to do with it. We have had an unusually cold few weeks down in Texas. I did a tune up about 5 months ago and an oil change with 5w30 about a month ago. No body mods yet and no deletes, everything is pretty much stock. Unfortunately, my car weighs in at 4600 pounds, more than twice that of a 90's Civic or other small cars. Do you guys have any suggestions, short of get another car? This one is paid off and I'm keeping it but would enjoy some more savings.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-13-2018, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Get a motorcycle for the nice days.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (01-14-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 10:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Get a motorcycle for the nice days.
Lol. Not for Houston freeways
Old 01-13-2018, 11:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Records. Fuelly app or a notebook. The annual fuel budget. Dollars and gallons. See AAA site for cost per mile. It’s cents per mile. The win is to the percentage change on an annual basis versus the previous year.

The vehicle type, make, brand, model, etc, doesn’t matter too much if it’s otherwise right for transporting the family. That’s the basic requirement. One vehicle to do it all.

After that is the real first step. Against ones records it’s in cutting annual miles to achieve the same ends.

A private vehicle is supposed to be time leverage versus alternatives. But this has transmogrified since 1970 into metro sprawl (ethnic cleansing of decent people from the cities), and is now no longer seen in relief to public transportation.

90% of us go to 90% of the same places 90% of the time. Do something with that:

No single trips. Combine most or all into one.

Use Mapquest for fuel efficient routing (no left turns; same as FedEx). Leave the house on a Saturday and go to the farthest point, preferably on a steady state highway. Get warm up accomplished.

Now, work back to the house.

No last minute trips to store. Exert some discipline. Be adult.

As to the commute, leave at an earlier time if that means more cruising at steady state.

Having cut the miles, and addressed the major use, drive remaining miles at a higher skill level. Don’t idle. Don’t stop. Glide.

1. Cut the miles. The cold starts.

2. Work at better spacing in traffic, first, make every stop light, second. Route so that time and distance aren’t obstacles any more than being stuck in the packs of morons who are today’s “drivers”.

Use the engine block heater year round. Garage the car. Throw out the $3000 in crap to properly care for the $30,000 car; what that investment represents.

The other is to bring all factory maintenance to date. Buy best tires. Brakes. Weekly wash and cleaning. After filling tank.

IOW, make scheduled time. Plan your use. Never turn the key you don’t know the ending as well as the beginning.

Reduced fuel burn is a help. But extended life of ownership is real economy. More than ten years or 200,000 miles.

A decade or a quarter-million. Yeah, that sounds good.

Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
sirchris (01-13-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread