Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Obviously I am not in a position to validate any of this, but I do have a question or two I would like to ask:

The center bearing block, where the cylinders meet, when the cylinder is expanding it will want to rotate the bearing block itself I think. And all the cylinders need some articulation at that point since they are not always meeting at right angles.

So how do the cylinders articulate and pass gasses back and forth?

And how does the assembly resist the torque of the power stroke?

Also it is worth noting that this valving needs to handle peak combustion pressures.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
the model probably isn't to scale, but if I understand it:
the red things are the cylinders

the silver things inside the red things are connecting rods/pistons

the combustion chambers are in the middle

it is a two stroke, so each piston fires once per rev

the lever in the middle provides offset/variable displacement

when the lever is centered the engine is not firing, but is able to act as a flywheel alone.

the porting is like piston porting in a "normal" two stroke, except it has to happen on that center bearing that connects the cylinders, and through the pivot arm and bearing, somehow.

only the outside part rotates (and the pistons/cylinders), the inside hub is stationary

The main question IMHO is after overcoming the technical challenges remaining, will it weigh less than an optimized engine of the same base fuel consumption with an external energy recovery system, like in F1 Regenerative brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or a standard issue hybrid. packaging size is also a concern though secondary.
OK That helps a lot, now I can wrap my little brain around this thing.LOL

Old 12-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Here is a drawing of the journal cylinder interface. There is one master cylinder that completely surrounds the journal. The other two are "slipper journals" that can oscillate on the surface of the master journal collar. They are locked in place by circular rings to maintain tolerances while allowing movement.

I just lost a fairly long description through a timeout, so I will post more later.

regards
Mech
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (3).JPG
Views:	43
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	5185  

Last edited by user removed; 12-23-2009 at 09:56 PM..
Old 12-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The principle in its most basic form is to combine the non reciprocating advantages of turbines and true rotary engines, with the piston in cylinder efficiency of a sealed combustion chamber.

Add to that the capability of utilizing the mass of the engine itself for storage.

The overlapping intake pulses would also create a constant flow of incoming air, compared to the pulse of intake air then three periods of static in a conventional 4 stroke engine.

With a diameter of about 3 feet and a height of less than 9 inches, and a weight of somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-250 pounds, the mass of the engine itself could absorb the energy of a 60-0 stop and reapply that energy with a change in RPM of about 1800.

Some here may remember the flywheel toys of our childhood. This would operate under the same basic principle, but be capable of variable "gear" ratios in power application and recovery as well as re-energizing of the flywheel.

This allows you to pulse the engine, without having to pulse the vehicle. The engine would never be at any constant RPM and the transmission would never be at the same ratio. As engine-flywheel speed increased under fuel consuming power, the "gear" ratio would be increased. Then when the fuel consuming mode was switched to flywheel, the "gear" ratio would be reduced as the flywheel speed decreased as energy in the flywheel was applied to the vehicle.

The self hypermiling car, using pulse and glide operational tactic, while maintaining a constant speed, with no reciprocating losses, no idling, no wot operation, super high torque, and a reserve of close to a 1000 horsepower seconds of energy instantly available for acceleration that would make most high performance cars pale in comparison.

Also a heck of a lot fewer parts required to produce a functional vehicle.

Combine this engine with the hydraulic hybrid power train that was the second evolution of the design, and you have the power to break traction at all 4 wheels from a dead stop. 0-60 times would be limited only by the traction capability of your tires at all 4 wheels and regenerative braking would be available all the way to 0 vehicle speed.

No batteries, or electric motor necessary.

Now if you wanted to go electric, make the engine the armature in an electric motor. The hub is a hydraulic pump while the outer rim holds the magnets of the motor. Spin the motor up to several thousand RPM, and throw the stroke to full, and you have the same 4 wheel tire shredding acceleration.

The power train patent is the one that was approved. The engine patent was a 4 year battle, that I eventually abandoned and pursued the power train development, because the engine concept was extraordinarily difficult to understand and the capital commitment would be astronomical.

This system could be installed in any vehicle, even a lightweight motorcycle, or a human powered vehicle like a bicycle.

Using hydraulic energy storage via an accumulator you could charge the accumulator using household current or just used the vehicle stationary as an exercise machine.

After years of fighting to get the design patented, the real fight starts in the beginning of 2010 to get the design built into something that proves the concept, even to people who do not understand the principles of operation.

regards
Mech
Old 12-24-2009, 02:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Very nice write up!!!

Now that I finally understand your engine design I can see some major advantages to it. Keep up the good work.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pgfpro;

The work you have done in your engine efficiency thread is equally amazing to me. I always considered performance and economy to be in opposition to each other, and I was wrong.

You see, the ability to say I am wrong and learn something new, to change your preconceived notions about a certain technological pathway, is what keeps us in a state of advancement.

Indeed almost everything you have done could also be incorporated into my design, and the synthesis of both efforts could possible be the creation of something that is significantly greater than the sum of the components.

In the next decade, I think we will see this come to the point where engine efficiencies of over 50% and Intelligent power trains with energy recovery at high efficiencies will produce a 5 passenger 2500 pound car that does average over 100 MPG.

Not under ideal circumstances or at speeds that bicycles can match, but under normal circumstances driven by normal people.

As cars become more efficient mechanically, then aerodynamics and low rolling resistance tires will become even more significant and the cumulative effects of every improvement will be amplified by a system that responds to each small improvement.

regards
Mech
Old 12-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

the thing that made me realize it was not really out of static balance is that if it were you could put it on its side and it would turn forever
Old 12-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You can view the first revolutions of the functional prototype. It does not have an adjustable journal. I had it built last summer when I was not sure if I would get a patent and did not really want to reveal the details of the journal adjustment or have an adjustable journal prototype built.

It was running on the air in a small pancake compressor without the compressor itself running.

Going to run it on some shop air tomorrow which is about 130 PSI with an 80 gallon tank. It should get to close to 1500 plus RPM then.

The voice is my son in law.

regards
Mech
Old 12-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

I must say that is pretty damn cool I can't say if it will pan out, but still pretty cool. Very unique approach.
user removed (12-27-2009)
Old 12-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It's very heavy, should be able to handle 1000 plus PSI hydraulic pressure. My intention is to make it work with a small cart of 3 wheels, so you can push it one way and store pressure then let it got the other way to demonstrate its wheel to wheel efficiency.

Kind of like wind up the spring and see how much you get back.

regards
Mech

Reply  Post New Thread