Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #51 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Fixed the derailleur dropout

Fixed it. Thanks for the input. Test ride went fine, but I do seem to be losing another rear spoke, maybe. Wheel seems out of true. I guess the weiht of the battery and all the miles on the public streets takes a toll on this relatively narrow wheel. Another new job!

EDIT: I discovered the wheel is not so much out of true as out of alignment. A small aluminum shim in the wheel dropout oposite the side the derailuer is on solved the problem
james

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160924_101922_resized.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	20599  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 09-24-2016 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: title
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-06-2016, 09:36 AM   #52 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Bike working great again. Only problem is I have less opportunity to ride it. Almost none of my commuting works now because of school drop-off responsibilities. But that's alright. Weekends it can replace solo errands and visits.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I am curious why you would be breaking spokes on the rear wheel. I run similar wheels and I weight 260 lbs . My 2000 Jamis Aragon has been almost trouble free and I just bought a used Roadmaster step through frame with 700C rims. I check spoke tension by plucking them like a guitar string to make sure the tension is even. They should have a 'middle C' ping rather than a thung sound. Do they break near the hub or near the threads?
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 09:16 PM   #54 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
I am curious why you would be breaking spokes on the rear wheel. I run similar wheels and I weight 260 lbs . My 2000 Jamis Aragon has been almost trouble free and I just bought a used Roadmaster step through frame with 700C rims. I check spoke tension by plucking them like a guitar string to make sure the tension is even. They should have a 'middle C' ping rather than a thung sound. Do they break near the hub or near the threads?
I'm about a buck fifty five. And the 20 pound battery is over the rear wheel. But I should correct myself again that, while I suspected another spoke for a while, I eventually realized that a shim in the rear dropout opposite the derailleur side of the wheel hub corrected the rubbing of the sidewall to the frame. But I'll try that spoke pluck trick when I get a chance later. Thanks!

So to date I have only ever lost one spoke. I don't clearly recall where it broke but I think it was near the hub. It happened right after a set of pretty bad pot holes.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #55 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Amazing. I'm glad to see that
Old 12-26-2016, 12:40 AM   #56 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Triangle box for battery & controller

I am building a triangle box. In the pic, the front of the bike will be to the right. The motor is on the frint wheel. The four "T" marks you see are attachment points to the frame (OEM spots for air pump and water bottle rack). I want to make the final box from the flexible but strong black plastic that I use for mods on my car. I might make the sides with fiberglass over these cardboard templates. Any pointers about waterproofing? Or anything else about this kind of project? (Btw, The battery is sealed in plastics and will be cushioned so it cannot contact metal surfaces.)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161225_213354.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	21089  

Old 12-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #57 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I would agree with .062" ABS and some neoprene padding inside. Once the box is securely mounted you can use thinner strips of plastic to streamline the box with the tubing.
California98Civic (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 11:40 AM   #58 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
I would agree with .062" ABS and some neoprene padding inside. Once the box is securely mounted you can use thinner strips of plastic to streamline the box with the tubing.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was considering fiberglass, with greater thickness where the weight is and less near the tops. I also have some 3 or 4 mm black plastic for my car mods that I might use instead. I also like the idea of making it overlap with the tubing too. I had thought of something similar. One side woukd be permanently attached, and I figure will overlap and the box will slide in like a canister top from that side. On that side too the bolts for the controller and battery restraints could connect. The other side will overlap the tube too, but be removable with screws so I can take the entire side off relatively easily. What would you do for waterproofing?

Old 12-29-2016, 07:33 PM   #59 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Either silicone caulk or neoprene strips would work.
California98Civic (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:49 AM   #60 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Weighed the bike the other day because I had not done it since first building it, and I knew I had added things since. It was 44lbs originally, and it is now 51! So the triangle box and a smaller tool box, and a rear rack delete, and some other small changes are in the works... I want it well under 50, at least.

Reply  Post New Thread