Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

double down

Search the interwebs for mini cooper hub motors. A UK outfit built a cool looking Mini with motors in all 4 wheels, so there is precedence. Something like that could be put on the back of any front driver with out too much doing I'd imagine.

I've been investigating the pusher trailer idea for my bicycle, using a kid trailer a bike hub motor, and a couple 12 volt lead-acids, or maybe retrofitting a e-scooter deal. One of the reasons I like electrfying the trailer vs. the bike itself is the trailer could be unhitched and then no additional weight is on the bike, save for a couple feet of wire and a throttle. The advantage here on a car pusher would be on a highway trip you may want to leave the trailer home.

For less than what it would take to design and build a 1 wheel trailer with drive train and hitch there exists a thing that lets you tow a motorcycle by holding the front wheel on a thing in the receiver hitch. I like the idea of wiring a throttle to an electric motorcycle in tow to a throttle inside the car. Then you get a pusher trailer, and an independent EV. You could have a gas motorbike pushing an electric car too, if you already had the electric car.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

www.tow-ster.com
I awnted one of these, but my Valkyrie is too heavy.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsasquatch View Post
Search the interwebs for mini cooper hub motors. A UK outfit built a cool looking Mini with motors in all 4 wheels, so there is precedence. Something like that could be put on the back of any front driver with out too much doing I'd imagine.
And man did that thing look terribly cobbled!

Too bad real reliable hub motors don't yet exist at a hobbiest level, my cobalt has lots of room for batteries if I remove the spare, use a pair of hub motors and a Ford escape hybrid battery and instant prius. (sort of)
Old 04-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #34 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsasquatch View Post
Search the interwebs for mini cooper hub motors. A UK outfit built a cool looking Mini with motors in all 4 wheels, so there is precedence.
Like this PML unit?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pml-flightlink-electric-mini-cooper-wheel-hub-electric-motor-photo-232278-s-1280x782.jpg
Views:	1067
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	12887  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thats how the "hybrid" car va tech had on display at the state fair was setup. It was a ford escape with a biodiesel subaroo drive train up front and an electric motor in the rear on the axles. Then a setup to go between the engine, motor, but required a lot of driver input to make work.

The gen 1 insight really is setting the bar as its easy to break 100 mpg. Why take a 17 mpg car, mod it to get 4 times that when you could just buy a better vehicle to start with and save you time and money?

Old 04-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yeah, most of the 1000 watt hub wheel motors I see on ebay are limited to 45 mph at full speed, then of course with it mounted hind you it would cause some problems with tight turns in parking lots. 1000 watts may not be enough to help you maitnain speed, but it should help you coast further and if used in combination of pulse n glide get you more fuel economy. An idea I had was to mount a small tire to it, mount it under the hood and use it to help spin the engine.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I think a newer VW diesel would be great for this kind of experiment...especially since they did come with 4wd so the rear suspension should be easily modifiable.

I'm thinking perhaps a VW Jetta diesel wagon with the rear drivetrain from a VW Golf Synchro / Rallye and an electric motor in place of the driveshaft.

Last edited by ai4kk; 05-01-2013 at 02:53 AM..
Old 08-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #38 (permalink)
Modder status:Noob Saibot

The Aquajet - '95 Saturn SL1
Team Saturn
90 day: 40 mpg (US)
just found this thread from the eco mods index. as soon as i started reading in a bit about how the 5th wheel works, i had the idea for rear wheel hub motors on my FWD 1995 Saturn SL1. After reading through, I decided that the info on this thread might be outdated, as far as hub motors go, so i looked around for 15 minutes and found this:
kellycontroller.com/brushless-hub-motors-c-21_62.html
any thoughts on the applicability of one of these?
I was looking at this one(kellycontroller.com/hub-motor-48v3kw-high-torquedisc-brake-p-158.html) specifically, as it mentions high torque

also, can anyone tell me whether or not i'd have to have a 13" rim for this thing, or if it's just telling me that the damned thing is 13" in diameter? my stock tires are 14s that i plan on changing to 15s or 16s. definately dont wanna pick out a motor that puts me a step in the wrong direction.

Sorry about the absence of links... im a newb... T-T
Old 08-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #39 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Looks to me like those hub motors are meant for scooters/motorcycles. Nothing there appears to be a "bolt on" automotive type hub.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 08-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #40 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkXoa View Post
so i looked around for 15 minutes and found this:
kellycontroller.com/brushless-hub-motors-c-21_62.html
any thoughts on the applicability of one of these?
I was looking at this one(kellycontroller.com/hub-motor-48v3kw-high-torquedisc-brake-p-158.html) specifically, as it mentions high torque

also, can anyone tell me whether or not i'd have to have a 13" rim for this thing, or if it's just telling me that the damned thing is 13" in diameter? my stock tires are 14s that i plan on changing to 15s or 16s. definately dont wanna pick out a motor that puts me a step in the wrong direction.

Sorry about the absence of links... im a newb... T-T
Read this thread (the whole thing)

Mira-Inboard Hub Motors - DIY Electric Car Forums

You need to install the motor(s) and modify them in exactly the way Ripperton demonstrates and then they will be usuable on a lightweight vehicle

Never mind he is the only person I know of to find an automotive use for these scooter motors.

Good Luck
Ryan

The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (08-20-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread