Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 60.02 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,276 Times in 857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I'm under the impression you'd get more power increase from an e-supercharger but in terms of total efficiency, it would be less than a straight e-assist.
I bet you are right. And an eAssist would be easier, if we go back to thinking just about practical EM bolt-on ideas. I have two vacant spots on my crank pulley from the delete of AC and PS. I could leave the stock alternator in place and add a small electric motor. The belts are prolly smaller than ideal but hopefully still useful with a properly small motor. That motor could maybe propel me around parking lots or extend glides. But that's not really the topic of this daydream concept general efficiency discussion.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Gaptooth - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 60.01 mpg (US)

Such Fit - '07 Honda Fit Sport
90 day: 41.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I bet you are right. And an eAssist would be easier, if we go back to thinking just about practical EM bolt-on ideas. I have two vacant spots on my crank pulley from the delete of AC and PS. I could leave the stock alternator in place and add a small electric motor. The belts are prolly smaller than ideal but hopefully still useful with a properly small motor. That motor could maybe propel me around parking lots or extend glides. But that's not really the topic of this daydream concept general efficiency discussion.
As a bolt-on solution for e-assist, you might choose to change the cam timing so it functions in the Atkinson cycle. A net gain in thermodynamic efficiency, increased engine load, and you still maintain adequate power down low. I could see a huge gain here for relatively little cost.

Last edited by Ecky; 03-13-2018 at 02:40 PM..
Old 03-21-2018, 04:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

"Proper Shitbox" (SOLD) - '96 Honda Civic LX fully optioned no weight reduction
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)

Plue Brius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 49.3 mpg (US)
Audi should be coming out with theirs this year. And ford will here in a bit as well. Basically the entire goal of echargers is to spool up faster to mimick a larger engine and allow a smaller engine to save on fuel (similar to how a hybrid uses its electric motors to allow a smaller engine).

2010 Prius. 36W low beams. 185 LRR tires. Aero wheel covers. CR 70 windshield. CR 40 side window. Passenger mirror & wiper delete. Antenna stick removed. Rear wiper & Squirter delete. 50lb weight reduction. 2" hitch.
Reply  Post New Thread