Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Nils is rear engine, rear drive. The way a VW is supposed to be.

R.B.Fuller's Dymaxions had a 2 or 3 piece hinged frame that held the rear wheel perpendicular to the two front wheels, as well as a forward weight bias. Maybe a front-rear hydraulic couple (similar to the BMC mini) between the front suspension and a rear wheel that would pivot the laterally would compensate for body roll.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I like this reverse engineering thing going on here. Maybe we should start a pool to see who can get the closest to the actual production vehicle. We know some things so far. No new technology is being presented. FWD, front engine. Do we have confirmation on a 1L 3cyl engine? The video states "world renown racing heiritage of its engine builder under the hood". What about trannys? Will it have a full reverse or an electric driven reverse? How about the autotranny? CVT? What about body construction? Metal, GRP or something else? What about steering? Rack and pinion? Doesn't list power steering at all. Rear suspension mono shock? How about turning radius?
Old 01-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
They have posted on FB and other places that it is a 1L 3cyl 70HP gasoline engine that runs on regular unleaded and has either and automatic or manual shift transmission, A/C, ABS brakes, 3 air bags. it will be produced at an old GM plant in Louisiana. Oh and the gas tank will hold a usable 8 gallons.

No other technical specs as of yet.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 01-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Yup got that. I emailed them for more specifics even if changes will happen before production.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #45 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
They have posted on FB and other places that it is a 1L 3cyl 70HP gasoline engine that runs on regular unleaded and has either and automatic or manual shift transmission, A/C, ABS brakes, 3 air bags. it will be produced at an old GM plant in Louisiana. Oh and the gas tank will hold a usable 8 gallons.

No other technical specs as of yet.
GM has a 3cyl 1.0L 60hp DOHC gasser engine in Europe, used in the Opel Corsa.

But due to the option for automatic transmission I'd bet it has chances to feature a Kia/Hyundai engine.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Prius - '16 Toyota Prius Three
You know, the city economy being as far off of the highway economy as it is - they're claiming 49/84, and we don't even know what test cycle that's on (EPA motorcycle fuel economy claims are typically unadjusted city, which is the pre-1985 car city standard), and we know the aero's not gonna be great, either, so if it were light, I'd expect high 60s city - makes me suspect that this thing is HEAVY. As in 1500-1800 pounds, as a random guess.

Like, iron block, and some lead tossed in the nose to keep the thing planted.

Anyway, as far as emissions, they can run much worse emissions - essentially, something that would've passed in 1995 in a car - due to being a motorcycle. This opens up some efficiency options like lean burn, as well as lower cost diesels. Safety, they don't have to meet (but seem to be choosing to - the side impact tests will be interesting to see, but frontal it'll ace easily, I expect, especially frontal offset).

An interesting point that I found when researching the legality of three-wheeled vehicles, though - in MA, they'll have to remove the back seat for it to legally be a motorcycle - enclosed three-wheel motorcycles can only be single-seaters, there.

Last edited by bhtooefr; 01-09-2013 at 10:02 PM..
Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

"World renowned engine builder" with "racing heritage"? Convinces me more and more we're talking the Suzuki K10B.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #48 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
"World renowned engine builder" with "racing heritage"? Convinces me more and more we're talking the Suzuki K10B.
I would have thought that the Shreveport plant would give us a clue but all I could find on that plant was that it made H3's. A three wheeled H3! I like it. But I must agree at this time that the K10B is a good guess. A made in India Suzuki could make the price point. I don't think we are looking at a cast iron block but I would love that to the the new ford ecoboost. I like my fords. that is a turbo and has instant on/off tech. Weather you could call this "new technology" that Elio said wasn't included I don't know. I would be surprised if they could get that price point with that engine.
Regardless of engine I don't think 1500 lbs is all that heavy. I hope it isn't but doesn't take much to hit that mark these days.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
The other thought that occurs to me is a Lotus engine and transmission? I have no idea on the cost, but Lotus is very much in this sort of business. Suzuki had not occurred to me as I was stuck thinking car racing...

It is interesting that the Trev is very similar to the Elio (Trikke?) and the Trev weighs less than 800 pounds *including* a 13kWh battery pack.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 01-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #50 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Prius - '16 Toyota Prius Three
I think I posted over on the Aptera forum, saying that I had heard somewhere something about Lotus, but couldn't remember where it was from.

I'd just think the cost would be a problem. And, Lotus doesn't use self-designed engines in their OWN vehicles, they use Toyota engines that they've tweaked, nowadays.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, scam