EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Energy at close to cost. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/energy-close-cost-35729.html)

JockoT 10-10-2017 01:06 PM

Energy at close to cost.

The Scottish government has today announced it will set up a publicly owned, not for profit, energy company, which will sell energy to the people of Scotland at "as close to cost price as possible".

redpoint5 10-10-2017 01:52 PM

...and somehow the price will be higher than if a privately owned company ran things.

BTW, if they charge any amount above cost, then where is that extra money going?

Fat Charlie 10-10-2017 02:22 PM

Overhead. Lots of overhead.

oil pan 4 10-10-2017 03:19 PM

If it wasn't going to make some one a lot of money then no one would bother doing it.

Frank Lee 10-10-2017 03:24 PM

Duhmerica's fly-over country has lots of ag cooperatives that sell fuels, and electric cooperatives for rural customers; Cooperatives are supposedly "customer owned". Their prices are no better and the profit sharing- if any- is minimal.

JockoT 10-10-2017 04:25 PM

Scotland actually has a government that looks after the Scottish people. We get free prescription medicines for all, free bus journeys for all over 60s and now cheaper energy than the big six energy companies charge.
If they just drop the quest for independence we should be okay.

jamesqf 10-10-2017 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JockoT (Post 552152)
Scotland actually has a government that looks after the Scottish people. We get free prescription medicines for all, free bus journeys for all over 60s and now cheaper energy than the big six energy companies charge.

I wonder who's paying for all that "free" stuff? The Scots, through taxes? Or are they still getting a lot of money from North Sea oil? And if so, how long do you suppose the "free" will last after the oil runs out?

RedDevil 10-10-2017 11:32 PM

Taxes obviously; Scottish tax levels are on a par with the majority of developed countries.

Poke, poke :D

JockoT 10-11-2017 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 552167)
I wonder who's paying for all that "free" stuff? The Scots, through taxes? Or are they still getting a lot of money from North Sea oil? And if so, how long do you suppose the "free" will last after the oil runs out?

Scotland gets sod all from North Sea Oil. All the revenue goes to the UK government. That was one of the driving factors behind the push for Scottish Independence. Another large oil field (by North Sea Standards) just announced this week. Discovered by Statoil.
Scotland can afford to give the free stuff through judicious management of the taxes paid by Scots (exactly the same rate as for other UK tax payers at the moment, though they are looking at possible changes to the levels at which the various rates change). Our NHS is also better funded than England and Wales.

redpoint5 10-11-2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JockoT (Post 552175)
Scotland gets sod all from North Sea Oil. All the revenue goes to the UK government.

Well now I don't know what to believe. Wiki says "GDP per capita $43,410 (including revenues from North Sea oil and gas)"

I'll point out that USA GDP per capita is $58,000. When you get to keep most of the money you earn, you tend to be more motivated to work. If most of my money went to pay for "free" medical care for obese Uhmericans, I probably wouldn't bother showing up for work.