Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 03:03 AM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

My two cents

I read all five pages and found lots of interesting stuff. Here's my thoughts. I'm assuming this mod is for the boat tailed vehicle pictured, therefore venting out the back into low pressure area ain't happening.

Given the time and talent I would close off my fan shroud and vent that air only. Leave the gills underneath because there will still be an air exchange w/ the engine compartment but vent all that you can capture from the radiator flow only.

This captured hot air should be ducted to the wheel well, but more specifically right behind the tire close to the level of the vehicle floor. There is a low pressure area there that some fill with other types of aero mods. This would be a hot air aero mod.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TBD - '17 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 40.79 mpg (US)

Starship - '08 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.34 mpg (US)
I think it's a bit overstated the positives of venting air out the top on a race car. That simply disrupts the flow to the rear wing and if you look back across the last 20 years few, if any, have done that. Most instead opt to venting radiator air out into the base area (low pressure) of the rear of the car. Clearly this isn't particularly practical given the packaging restrictions we all deal with...

Now the idea of venting the air into the front wheel well as suggested at the beginning of the thread isn't a bad one if the relative pressure work out and if more work is done to provide for the evacuation of the wheel well out the side of the car. Though that last part might be easier said then done.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

For my Geo Prism/Toyota Corolla the simplest method would be to cut two openings in the hood just behind the radiator. These would be small enough not to require cutting the hood reinforcements. Trays would keep rainwater from flowing onto the distributor cap and wires. An angled deflector at mid hood would effectively reduce hot air being sucked in at the base of the windshield.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #54 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello ecomodders, apologies if i bump 'old post'
I read all 6 pages on ideas of engine compartment vent; then i found this site:
DIY 2011 Mustang GT500 Heat Extractor Install - D-series.org
I am thinking this is an okay idea for my 90 civic; person placed a huge 'gt500 hood vent' where the exhaust manifold is. i may do this with a smaller vent and additional vents to the wheels as stated in previous posts.
Below: Hole for vent on EG civic; shows where it lines up nicely with exhaust manifold.

Below: same gt500 vent for an EF civic (similar to my car);

Personally i like it on an ef civic but i found a nice home $5 depot vent that i'll install vs $100 gt500 vent;

MY QUESTION IS AS FOLLOWS:
Any ideas or comments about this type of venting for a 90 civic hatchback?

Note; i will complement with a front undertray and rear diffuser similar to "CURV872's mini cooper rear diffuser

Last edited by tanjulio; 01-20-2013 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: forgot some pics
Old 01-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #55 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahPete View Post
I believe the idea is to vent it to a low pessure area to better fill the void. Is there any way you can get it vented behind the car? Maybe by running some sort of vent inside your already made belly pan to the back of the car? Maybe 2 vents running along the exhaust. Hm.. Would that put too much pressure on your belly pan? Can someone comment on my ideas please.
Hey Pete, Some years back on this site an Ecomodder named CoyoteX did what you proposed to a rusted Geo Metro. He put a false floor above his full belly pan to duct the engine heat to the back of the car and "fill in the wake". His results were less than stellar and not worth the trouble IMHO. The AeroCivic achieves stunning mpg at highway speeds. The owner Basjoos has implemented extensive aero mods including an adjustable grill block but doesn't worry about where to vent engine heat. In theory ducts and hood vents are good but with most Ecomodders the idea is to NOT convert fuel into heat and therefore we allow very little air through the grill in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
Reply  Post New Thread