EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   EOC with an automatic e-brake? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/eoc-automatic-e-brake-35078.html)

Piwoslaw 04-16-2017 03:46 PM

EOC with an automatic e-brake?

When reading the specs of a few cars, I noticed that certain models from the last few years have a feature where the e-brake is automatically applied when the engine turned off. IIRC, one of them is the Peugeot 308 with the e-HDi engine.

This may be linked to the engine start-stop system, and makes stopping and then moving uphill easier. But what I am worried about is coasting with the engine off - if the e-brake is automatically applied when the engine is killed, then coasting will be impossible:( Or is this not the case?

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-16-2017 08:29 PM

Didn't the e-brake took a few seconds to engage right after the driver depressed the brake pedal and came to a complete stop?

oldtamiyaphile 04-16-2017 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 538656)
This may be linked to the engine start-stop system, and makes stopping and then moving uphill easier. But what I am worried about is coasting with the engine off - if the e-brake is automatically applied when the engine is killed, then coasting will be impossible:( Or is this not the case?

Normally, hill hold uses the ABS system, not the handbrake. The push button starter won't let you turn off the engine while moving, so it's a mute point.

New cars aren't designed for EOC. My Renault won't even let me open a window unless the engine is running.

Piwoslaw 04-17-2017 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile (Post 538667)
The push button starter won't let you turn off the engine while moving, so it's a mute point.

Who said I'll be using the stock stop/start button? Buahahahahaha;)

But once I wire in my own kill switch, I don't want anything else happening automatically. In my P307 when the engine is killed I keep getting warnings about "oil pressure too low", thankfully it doesn't slam the brakes. I'm not sure I trust new cars, though...

oldtamiyaphile 04-17-2017 02:02 AM

These day's you'll be lucky not to go into limp home mode.

You'll also need your own starter switch, and possibly some way of fooling the body computer into ACC.

Nothing on my Renault can be done manually, while I can do an engine off roll start, I then can't start the engine with the starter button until I come to a stop.

I think bump starts are going to be bad for the DMF, too.

You'll probably also find that if you add a kill switch, Stop/ Start will keep cranking the engine so you'll have to find a way around that.

Lots of PITA issues in your future, I see.

My Renault returns under 7l/100km city, which is pretty fine for a 2 ton van. I don't see mods as really being worth the effort. P&G doesn't work as there's too much fuel during the P and even EOC wouldn't be enough to make up the difference.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-20-2017 04:11 AM

We can't deny that electronics improved safety and efficiency on newer cars, but sometimes their interference becomes excessive.