Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 01:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
I'd rather be biking

Lexie - '98 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.46 mpg (US)

Beater Hauler - '92 Isuzu Pickup

Rentaclipse - '08 Mitsubishi Eclipse ?
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Fahrt - '83 BMW R80 ST
Even though I EOC pretty frequently in my commute, if i haven't had enough coffee I'll do stupid stuff like kill the engine while it's still in gear, or try to bump start with the engine on.

Quote:
Also as a side note, if you do put in a seperate kill switch, you're better off putting in something that kills your spark, instead of your fuel.
Why is this better? We're trying to save fuel, not dump fuel into a cyl that won't burn it.

My bike runs on dihydrogen monoxide.
I like to use these acronyms
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-30-2008, 01:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

aerospire - '95 Ford Aspire
90 day: 56.92 mpg (US)

Hindsight - '00 Honda Insight
Good call 'chain.

Reformed: Why pump fuel and not burn it? Wouldn't it be better to not pump fuel at all?

WRT Steering - wouldn't it be easier to modify the steering column so it doesn't "lock" when the key is inserted? The locking mechanism is a simple pin/solenoid that prevents the wheel from turning. It's a safety feature designed for manual transmission cars. It was designed to force the car to turn in a circle if it ever "rolled in a freefall" down a hill (to limit the damage, I'd guess).

Last edited by cbergeron; 04-30-2008 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-30-2008, 11:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
EOC gone wrong:

Worst EOC experience was in a rental Chrysler 300 in Alberta. Coasting down a mountain pass, I decided to shut it down. (should have downshifted and let the fuel-cut do its job, but...)

Turns out, you have to have the car in Park to restart Triple-checked the Neutral gear position, engaged the brake, parking brake -- everything I could think of, until I saw a turnout at roadside.

Apparently there's different behavior among models of cars (and the markets where they're sold).

RH77

_
_
Old 04-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Eco Noob

Red Rover - '01 Nissan Altima GXE
90 day: 30.07 mpg (US)
RH77
simular thing happened to me ( less the freeked out panic look as going down a mountainside) - but with a UHAUL Pickup i rented for a yardwork project.
As i has to refuel the truck ( F150 with a Duramax i believe) i wanted to squeeze the most MPG out of it.
after a check of coasting in N and shifting back to drive with rev match (no odd sounds or bumps or jerks)- I desided to see if i could also coast to the stop lights : Not to far of a coast mind you - maybe 100 yrds max, sit at the light OFF then restart and go.

Light turn green - turn the key ... Nothing happens...
i start thinking that there is something wrong with the truck - some rental disengagement lock or odd thing i missed.

then i look down and see i am not in park. DUH!!
and our PT Cruiser IS an AUTO and i SHOULD have seen this..
(somedays i live up to my Screen Name)

Steve

First Milestone passed - 30 MPG (city) 5/15/08
Best City Tank - 8/31/09- 34.3 MPG (EPA= 20)
Best Highway Tank - 5/20/09 - 36.5 MPG (EPA= 28)
------
In effort to drive less:
Miles NOT driven in 2009 = 648 (Work from home and Alt Transporatation)
Old 05-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ZX3 SE
90 day: 30.86 mpg (US)
More concerns learned "the hard way":
In the focus, last night, doing the first EOC at night. Apparently, my headlights do not operate when the key is turned to "accessory". Couple of seconds of pitch-black highway driving in the middle of a relatively busy highway = terrified me and girlfriend (who wasn't aware that I was even doing that really). Also, apparently in the Ford Focus, if you turn from accessory back to "on" very quickly, apparently something bad happens with the RFID-authentication, and the car won't restart again... So I had to coast to a complete stop on the side of the highway, take the key out completely, put it back in and restart the car. The security light on the dash was blinking while I was coasting and trying to restart it, so that's all I can think of.

Be careful out there!

On a positive note, best tank of gas I've had yet.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Nerdcycle - '81 Honda CM400E
Motorcycle
90 day: 61.16 mpg (US)

Trouble - '06 Kawasaki Ninja
90 day: 74.69 mpg (US)

Edna - '13 Nissan LEAF SV
Last 3: 126.4 mpg (US)

Tank - '20 Ford Expedition Limited
Last 3: 17.4 mpg (US)
Be careful with PS while EOCing

The worst situation I've had with EOCing is on long downhill curves like on ramps. My steering is pretty stiff while the engine is off, but I took people's advice on here and got used to that while there wasn't anybody else around, but what I wasn't prepared for was how soft it becomes so quickly after the engine comes back on! I coasted 80% of the way down the ramp with the engine off, the transmission in OD and the clutch in while holding the turn. As soon as I dropped the clutch I just about threw the whole truck into the shoulder because it was light as a feather all of a sudden. I need to just get new tires that take less turning force and then disable the power steering all together.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

aerospire - '95 Ford Aspire
90 day: 56.92 mpg (US)

Hindsight - '00 Honda Insight
Randy, you raise a great point. When you turn off your engine, DON'T take the key out. It will LOCK your steering column and you'll lose power steering and power brakes.

If you're a teenager or younger 20 something, do this first:
Sit in your car with the engine running (in Park) and turn off the engine and turn the key forward one notch. That's how you EOC.

Don't ever remove the key. Simply turn it back toward one notch and then forward one notch.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:56 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pushrod - '02 Chevrolet Cavalier
Quote:
WRT Steering - wouldn't it be easier to modify the steering column so it doesn't "lock" when the key is inserted? The locking mechanism is a simple pin/solenoid that prevents the wheel from turning. It's a safety feature designed for manual transmission cars. It was designed to force the car to turn in a circle if it ever "rolled in a freefall" down a hill (to limit the damage, I'd guess).
It's an anti-theft feature to make a hot-wired car inoperable. it has nothing to do with manual cars or turning in a circle. I park my 5 spd with the wheel straight. If it ever started rolling, it would continue that way.

How many of you auto drivers engage your parking brakes while in Park? I don't know of anyone who did it besides me. The only thing keeping your car from rolling away is a little pin in the transmission that occasionally snaps if you're parked on a hill. The proper procedure for parking an auto is stopping with the foot brake, applying the hand brake, releasing the foot brake and putting the transmission in park. This will only put pressure on the park pin if the handbrake fails. I trust the handbrake far more than an auto's Park. If the handbrake fails on a manual, being in 1st gear should prevent the car from moving more than a few inches per minute.

To the OP: You only turn the key to Off to kill the engine. Once it's dead, turn the key back to On and you can coast without locking the wheel.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGrey View Post
...I park my 5 spd with the wheel straight. If it ever started rolling, it would continue that way.
That is why they teach us to turn the wheels when we park, in drivers ed The direction depends on if there is a curb or not:
http://golocalnet.net/drive/hills.htm
Old 05-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #20 (permalink)
Eco Noob

Red Rover - '01 Nissan Altima GXE
90 day: 30.07 mpg (US)
It annoys my wife, but i always use the parking break - on the Nissan (5spd) and the Crusier (auto) regarrdless of where i park ( yes even in the garage). unsure where i picked this up from as both my parents NEVER use the parking break - but then again they always had manuals so the tranny keeps it from moving ( intheory)

i Purposly turn the wheels only on really steap hills - Maybe i do it all the time and do not think about it.

steve

First Milestone passed - 30 MPG (city) 5/15/08
Best City Tank - 8/31/09- 34.3 MPG (EPA= 20)
Best Highway Tank - 5/20/09 - 36.5 MPG (EPA= 28)
------
In effort to drive less:
Miles NOT driven in 2009 = 648 (Work from home and Alt Transporatation)
Reply  Post New Thread