Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Gas Passer

Burnt's Cobalt - '09 Chevy Cobalt LT XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 38.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
There is mention on this site in several threads about the proper shifting technique and clutch starting for manual transmissions. If you're unsure about how you're currently doing it, I suggest you read up and avoid a head ache.
Before I started doing EOC I read everything I could find about it on this site; I didn't even know manual engines could be clutch started. I spent some time in a parking lot practicing before I felt comfortable with it on the road. I have noticed some increases, although it's only been one tank so far with regular EOC. I just saw that thread about engine damage from EOC and I got a little worried, which prompted me to make the thread.

Robertsmalls is right, each time I turn the ignition off all my electronics etc cycle off/on too, which is kind of a pain. I am planning on having a kill switch installed this summer, once I can scrape some money together (I know squat about mechanics, so I don't think I could install one);

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt View Post
Before I started doing EOC I read everything I could find about it on this site; I didn't even know manual engines could be clutch started. I spent some time in a parking lot practicing before I felt comfortable with it on the road. I have noticed some increases, although it's only been one tank so far with regular EOC. I just saw that thread about engine damage from EOC and I got a little worried, which prompted me to make the thread.

Robertsmalls is right, each time I turn the ignition off all my electronics etc cycle off/on too, which is kind of a pain. I am planning on having a kill switch installed this summer, once I can scrape some money together (I know squat about mechanics, so I don't think I could install one);
Well, the engine damage, from what we can tell, is caused by fuel dumping. You won't have that trouble at all, no matter what engine speed you shut down at.

If you can do basic maintenance, and know how to use a wire crimper, you can probably install a kill switch without too much drama. The hardest part is the research, believe it or not. If you need help when you get around to doing it, there are plenty of people here, myself included, who are more than willing to help you out to the best of our ability.

The basic idea behind a kill switch is to stall the engine. There are a few ways to do that, but some of them aren't safe. If you kill the ignition only, you end up with fuel dumping. Same thing with choking it out. Really, you should kill the fuel. That way, the ignition system keeps working and ignites whatever is left of the fuel that already made it into the engine, so you're not pushing raw fuel out your exhaust.

Only conceivable problem with injector cuts on an OBD-II vehicle (yours, for instance) is that you might get a CEL if you cut the injectors directly w/ the switch. It should go away immediately after restarting, though.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Toyota Yaris - '09 Toyota Yaris sedan
90 day: 29.7 mpg (US)
I'm new to this and having a little troble finding a definitive answer as to we
ther eoc is safe or not in my aoto yaris,, most of what I'm reading is leading me to believe that engine off is harmful to the auto trans,, ?

What about coasting in neutrrel with engine on?
Old 04-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RaceJeep - '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 5.9 Limited
90 day: 13.62 mpg (US)
Coasting in neutral with the engine running is fine, as it keeps the tranny pump turning, so everything is lubed.

EOC varies by tranny. Some autos will lube well enough when spinning freely with the engine off, others won't.

Typical driving: Back in Rochester for school, driving is 60 - 70% city
Old 04-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
I believe the Yaris is one you should NOT eoc. Engine-on neutral coasting is fine.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 04-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
What about my Dakota? It has a "thunk" when I put it back in drive from neutral... this is EOnC, not EOC.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMPG View Post
What about my Dakota? It has a "thunk" when I put it back in drive from neutral... this is EOnC, not EOC.
You probably have a bad engine/transmission mount.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Re. coasting with an auto tranny.
Look in your owners manual re. having your car towed.
Look in the section on "Flat Towing", where all four wheels are on the road and turning.

Most manuals should tell you whether it's safe, and limitations on distance and speed.

The reason to read that section is - flat towing an auto-tranny car is essentially the same as engine-off coasting it. Wheels are turning and the engine is off, with trans in neutral.

Some car's manuals will say never do it, always have the drive wheels off the ground. Some manuals will say you can go up to 30 mph or 40 mph, and for a distance of x miles. You get the idea. Now they're assuming the car is being towed so they probably figure you do it rarely. If you're using it as a driving technique - that will be daily, or nearly so. You might want to limit your coasting to lower speeds and distances than the manual gives you. Tranny failure is expensive indeed.

Better yet, buy a stick shift car next time if you're able to drive it!

Old 04-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Toyota Yaris - '09 Toyota Yaris sedan
90 day: 29.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post

Better yet, buy a stick shift car next time if you're able to drive it!
I couldnt connvince the wife to learn

other wise i've always preffered mt's even before i started trying to increase mpg's

Reply  Post New Thread