Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2018, 08:47 PM   #231 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,623 Times in 1,448 Posts
IIRC it's all about bureaucracy. They must get them re-certified and satisfy the judge in charge of the case before they're allowed to put them on the market again.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-01-2018, 03:31 AM   #232 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
They have little economic value to VW.
If they sell them anywhere it would hurt the sales of their new cars.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:57 PM   #233 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Not exactly. But they would need to have an attractive price to compete with the JDM exports, even though them being already LHD won't demand the cost and eventual lack of safety involved in RHD-to-LHD conversions in some countries throughout Latin America where the import of used cars is a common practice.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:30 AM   #234 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
They have little economic value to VW.
I don't think so, these will be quite a different market than anything they sell new. I can't see them giving up 3+ billion in returned profit and just scrapping them. These car companies try and save 50 cents on a junky switch to add a few dollars profit. I do think they would be better trickling them out as best they can. Putting them all on the market at once will be too much.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:35 AM   #235 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Not exactly. But they would need to have an attractive price to compete with the JDM exports, even though them being already LHD won't demand the cost and eventual lack of safety involved in RHD-to-LHD conversions in some countries throughout Latin America where the import of used cars is a common practice.
I don't think these 300,000 cars here are leaving the US. They say already 82% of them are fixed and in compliance and they have re-sold 12,000 already. They are going to be back on the roads here, no further expense required. Fixed on most of them is just a reflash of the computer. Now people can buy them and get a custom tune to "fix" them back to good again!
Old 04-02-2018, 01:02 AM   #236 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I don't think these 300,000 cars here are leaving the US. They say already 82% of them are fixed and in compliance and they have re-sold 12,000 already. They are going to be back on the roads here, no further expense required. Fixed on most of them is just a reflash of the computer.
All of them getting exported may be unlikely, but throwing nearly 300.000 cars in the useds market at once is likely to keep their residual value quite low. There might be some demand in export markets where light Diesel cars used to be easier to supply from Japan, such as Paraguay and some African countries where JDM used imports are popular, plus it would decrease their expense with storage.

Quote:
Now people can buy them and get a custom tune to "fix" them back to good again!
Are their former owners getting some priority to buy them back from VW? Well, since I'm not sure if all of them would actually be interested in getting a TDI again, maybe VW should try to register expressions of interest from them in order to grant priority for the ones who eventually desire to do so.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:40 AM   #237 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I wrote 'hurt' not 'completely annihilate'. Some people would never be lured from buying new by a cheap relatively new second hand car, others might.

The damage would be long-term. If you own a VW of the age and think of selling it some day, the last thing you want is VW dumping 300.000 competing cars in your market. Small chance you'd ever buy a VW again.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:43 AM   #238 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I don't think these 300,000 cars here are leaving the US. They say already 82% of them are fixed and in compliance and they have re-sold 12,000 already. They are going to be back on the roads here, no further expense required. Fixed on most of them is just a reflash of the computer. Now people can buy them and get a custom tune to "fix" them back to good again!
The 'fix' also needs legs, the ability to work longer than driving off the lot. My understanding is the original components are sized only to pass the test. The last VW software fix was to prevent accidental enabling of some TDI emissions equipment that led to in service failures. This suggests they were undersized or under managed.

The other problem is managing TDI emissions means lower MPG and potentially less power. So these vehicles would need a new window sticker. It is not impossible but difficult and expensive.

Bob Wilson
Old 04-02-2018, 04:23 PM   #239 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson4web View Post
The other problem is managing TDI emissions means lower MPG and potentially less power. So these vehicles would need a new window sticker.
Not sure if a new window sticker would be needed. The point is to make them comply with the certification issued at the time, which for MPG was lower than the real-world results with the cheating software enabled.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:59 PM   #240 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...ll#Post4794584

The diesels are starting to get junked.

The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Xist (06-23-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread