EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Exhaust for crx HF (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/exhaust-crx-hf-35586.html)

hispanicpanic 09-04-2017 10:19 AM

Exhaust for crx HF

My OEM muffler is finally starting to rust out after 280k miles.

Looking for something quiet like OEM. Do you guys think i should also replace all the piping and resonators? Perhaps redo the whole exhaust post header?? Perhaps there are some "racing" lightweight catback systems that i can attach a regular muffler to to keep it quiet?

Gasoline Fumes 09-05-2017 02:58 AM

On my Civic, I went with smaller diameter exhaust piping after the catalytic converter to gain a bit of low-end torque and to reduce weight. If the rest of your exhaust is still in good shape, replacing just the muffler might make the most sense. If you're looking to reduce weight, the muffler is probably the heaviest part of the exhaust. Unfortunately, any lighter aftermarket muffler will be louder. And you won't know how much louder until it's installed. I currently have a long piece of 1.25" pipe after the cat. No muffler. It's not really loud, both the cat and smaller pipe have a muffling effect. But it's certainly not OEM-quiet either.

I have a like-new, OEM-style CRX HF muffler that I'm not using, but it's probably not worth shipping from NY.

Stubby79 09-05-2017 04:12 AM

Inspect and replace what is going to need replacing soon anyway. Stick with OE or OE equivalent, or you'll wind up blowing $$ out the tailpipe, directly or indirectly.

hispanicpanic 09-05-2017 11:21 PM

well.... i wouldn't mind it if it was a touch louder, i just don't want exhaust drone on the highway and my car is NOT a rice burner. If i'm flooring it in upper RPM's, i won't mind a louder exhaust note but for daily cruisin, i still want it to be OEM-like in manners. As loud as modern sports car OEM exhausts would be acceptable, if you're familiar with them.

I found this on ebay but i'll bet its just as heavy as stock.

Quality Belguim Bosal#163-459 aftermarket Rr.Muffler 88-91 Honda Civic CRX HF1.5 | eBay

hispanicpanic 09-05-2017 11:31 PM

Also, is it safe to assume the catalytic converter and o2 sensors are no good? Not sure how long they usually last.

Daschicken 09-05-2017 11:43 PM

Before I got my Accord V6, I had a 4 cylinder accord. In an attempt to make it louder I had a magnaflow universal muffler slapped on that ho. It was a LITTLE louder, any intake noise from the short ram intake completely drowned it out though. Just avoid glasspack straight-through mufflers to avoid the rice sound.

Shake the other exhaust components like the resonator, if there is crap coming loose inside or it already broke, then yes replace it.

Gasoline Fumes 09-05-2017 11:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It's hard to say how well the catalytic converter is working without an emissions test. I drove my car without a cat for a while and it stunk like an old lawnmower. A bad O2 sensor should eventually give you a check engine light.

Don't pay $120 for that rusty muffler! I'd sell you mine for a lot less! It's heavy, but it's quiet and will fit.