Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
You can make any size electric foam cutter so , with a real big blob of foam and a steady hand . you could carve 'something' from your dreams or nightmares depending on how good the hand eye coordination is..

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-07-2014, 12:36 AM   #22 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Will expanding foam stick to duct tape? I am wondering about a removable insert grill block for my front bumper that would simultaneously lower the stagnation point. I imagine the finished product being bolted to the grill from inside the grill, on the engine bay side, for easy removal.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:38 AM   #23 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I'd think so. Maybe wax the duct tape as well.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:49 AM   #24 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Will expanding foam stick to duct tape? I am wondering about a removable insert grill block for my front bumper that would simultaneously lower the stagnation point. I imagine the finished product being bolted to the grill from inside the grill, on the engine bay side, for easy removal.
Expanding foam seems to stick to everything, it actually pulled the surface off of our driveway when I scraped it off.

Perhaps Aerohead addressed this directly elsewhere, in this post he talked about expanding foam and release agents for fiberglass resin, which should be applicable:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
*The polyisocyanrurate foam is chemically similar to urethane,so polyester resin is okay with it.
[...]
*Aluminum foil can be squeegied on over a coating of general-purpose axle grease,directly on a finished automotive finish to create a bleed-proof block and release mechanism for wet-layups applied directly over a vehicle when integrating spoilers,tails,and whatnot.The foil itself can receive multiple carnuba waxings along with a coat of polyvinyl alcohol release agent prior to laying up to release the foil from the part after the cure.
After the 'part' is completed,you slip it off the car,peel the foil away,then GUNK the area to remove the grease.
Have you read this thread? Jedi Sol said the foam sticks to foam, I would expect it to also adhere to duct tape.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (07-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 02:19 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by aerohead
Sweet. Now I can do this:

http://www.gerrelt.nl/section-aerodynamics/modifications-windnoise.html
Old 07-07-2014, 02:41 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Styrene foams such as styrofoam can be hotwired, with excellent results, as is common for wings, etc in homebuilt airplanes. But, polyester resin dissolves that foam, so you must use more expensive epoxy. In stage props, the basic shape is often done with styrofoam, and then a layer of plaster of paris or similar is applied, for final surfacing.

Urethane foam is said to gum and clog the hotwire, and some say the process generates toxic fumes. I don't know about this, as if it were so, surely urethane foam would not be allowed as common house insulation. However, the sanding and workability of urethane foam is excellent, but makes a dusty mess and the fine granules go everywhere. Urethane foam is fine with inexpensive polyester resin. It is also chemically the same stuff as Gorilla Glue.

I've read that those who've used both styrofoam and urethane foam for one-off projects such as car body panels or mods, much prefer the urethane. RMax insulation at Home Depot or Lowes is polyisocyanurate foam, essentially urethane, so may be an option for car body mods, if the skin is pealed off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (07-07-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #27 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Okay, I have polyurethane expanding foam in spray-cans (Dow's "great stuff" was on bigtime sale at Denault's Tru-Value hardware). I understand from this thread that this foam can take polyester fiberglass resin without disolving. A question: can the polyurethane foam be combined with styrofoam? I am considering using left over styrofoam blocks as filler inside a bumper insert. To reuse materials and to save on spray foam. So, the core would be styrofoam, surrounded with polyurethane foam, finished with polyster resin fiberglass. Can that work for a front bumper cover attachment?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #28 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
2 part foam makes an excellent adhesive for pink board To glue two pink boards together I used a wafer of pink board and put a dab of two part polyester foam on it and held it behind the seam.

If used behind pink board that has appropriate wedges removed you can make pretty decent 3d curves in pink board. I have a pic somewhere of such construction.

I have always used epoxy rather than polyester to glue on reinforcement

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Varn For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-18-2014), BamZipPow (07-18-2014), California98Civic (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
poly/styro

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Okay, I have polyurethane expanding foam in spray-cans (Dow's "great stuff" was on bigtime sale at Denault's Tru-Value hardware). I understand from this thread that this foam can take polyester fiberglass resin without disolving. A question: can the polyurethane foam be combined with styrofoam? I am considering using left over styrofoam blocks as filler inside a bumper insert. To reuse materials and to save on spray foam. So, the core would be styrofoam, surrounded with polyurethane foam, finished with polyster resin fiberglass. Can that work for a front bumper cover attachment?
The styrene will dissolve with polyester resin,but if a blocking coat of carpenters glue,or polyurethane spar varnish it will be non-reactive.
You could glue in your styrofoam to fill in the voids,then just 'paint' the exposed surface with glue.
California98Civic (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #30 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Gonna be revealing more of what I don't know here...

By "pink board" we mean something like this? INSULPINK Foam Insulation Board - Residential Insulation - Owens Corning

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
The styrene will dissolve with polyester resin
Will the resin dissolve the styrene even if the styrene is encased in polyurethane foam first?

Reply  Post New Thread