Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2015, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Achieva rear spoiler

I'm a newbie who is proud of himself for finding the "new thread" button. I appreciate this sight and hope I can contribute.

I have a 95 Achieva S with a rear spoiler that is leaking water into the trunk. I'll be removing it this weekend to reseal it, or delete it. I used the Aero-template, and a pic that I borrowed offline, to see where this fits in the streamline. I'm thinking that this spoiler actually serves a purpose. (Looking sporty for sales purposes might be the purpose.) Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I don't want to lose the handling in "truck traffic" that i now enjoy. If this spoiler is a parachute, what is the better option? A diffuser?

Sorry, I haven't found the method of posting the pic with the template.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	green achieva.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	16789  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Based on what I can see, IMHO the outer 4-6" on each side are in free flowing air and might provide some downforce at the expense of added drag. The middle section is in the turbulent wake and probably not contributing much.

Quote:
I don't want to lose the handling in "truck traffic" that i now enjoy.
What is it that you find enjoyable? Straight-line stability when meeting/passing trucks?

Air dams, diffusers and fender skirts can help. The alternative that could use the presumed leaky mounting holes would be a Bonneville spoiler.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
razordave (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Bonneville spoiler!! Now that interesting.

The outer edges, that aren't attached to the quarter panel, do seem to generate wingtip vortices that are obvious in the rain. The "dirt trail" shows slowing of air behind, and in front of, the spoiler.

When passing/passed by trucks, this car is more stable than any other that I've owned. (Maybe this says something about the other cars that I've owned ) I think I'll try deleting it, for now, and see what happens. Or maybe I'm too lazy to put it back on.

Thank you for the reply
Old 01-17-2015, 04:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
spoiler

Considering wet driving alone,might be enough reason to keep it on.
Even though your notchback enjoys some of the downwash off the roof slamming into the trunklid,you may have rear lift due to the separated flow off the backlight header.
The spoiler can help with reattachment,killing the lift,and hydroplaning propensity.
Here you can see how a 1994 Mustang GT is harvesting momentum with their rear spoiler.

The Dodge Viper GTS reaches for even more air
Old 01-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Aerohead,

This is my winter, and wet weather vehicle, so, what you'er saying is important to me. Motorcycle is my first choice, when weather permits.
The spoiler appears too low in the streamline than what you're showing me (as it appears in the aero template. I'll work on getting the pics on this thread later, including pics of the dirt under the spoiler. The dirt trails/deposits on the lid make me think you are on the right track.
Calling for rain tomorrow. If it's not ice, i'll try it out at various speeds.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dandaboy For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-20-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread