Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: IS this to extream
Yes, your one crazy person 23 85.19%
no, looks great 4 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008, 04:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
I think its bonkers. But when i saw the framework for the nose, i just want to see it built and see how good it is on the road. May the force be with you ebacherville!!!!

ollie

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-31-2008, 11:48 PM   #32 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec-e View Post
I think its bonkers. But when i saw the framework for the nose, i just want to see it built and see how good it is on the road. May the force be with you ebacherville!!!!

ollie
I'm not giving up on this thing made lots of progress today.. raised the hood 2.5" today, filled gapes from the fenders etc.. added new inside left and righ mirrors.. I'm going for total best economy I can get on this thing, dont care what it looks like, working my way from the front to the back as i go .. I should have a bunch of new photos tomorrow on this thread covering the car..
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ed=1#post30088

Today I picked up 4 - 4x8 sheet d of 1/2" foam and a sheet of 1/8" luan for minor fills of spaces.. it was less thick and lighter than corrugated plastic .. and more rigid... also cheaper.. seems perfect if you coat it with fiber glass resin.. to seal it.. well see... got it mainly for my gap between the stock hood and the windshield but had to buy a full 4.x sheet to get it..

I have been driving the crx as is and got 130 miles and the gas gauge is just a hair below full.. seems pretty dang good to me...

The cooling issue was a major issuse to deal with.. now Im set there.. seems that nose did wonderful job of blocking air front stock boxy front of the underside of the car.. that a good problem to have I guess.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #33 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
hoods done waiting for foam to cure so I can knock it down to body profiles.. I'm now driving the car daily so I should have some mileage numbers to report soon..

The tail will be a big project, but totally doable..

Old 06-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm not trying to divert this thread , but I looked at OPENFOAM, and I think it is just for Linux. Also, it apparently takes a knowledge of math to use it - so that leaves me out.]

Thanks for the link to OPENFOAM, very interesting. Also, FYI, using Linux (I use fedora) is EASIER than using windows. Whenever an update is available for my OS or most of my appications (firefox, openoffice) the system updates itself automagically. I do not have to reboot after the update unless there is a new kernel AND I want to use the new kernel right away. There is no DRM or Genuine DisAdvantage or typing in endless activation codes... I better stop now

ebacherville, A camera mounted high up on a vertical pole at the extreme end of your tail could be used to view the behaviour of yarn tufts when the testing starts.
Also, here is a nice page with some general drag information:
http://www.princeton.edu/~asmits/Bicycle_web/blunt.html
The two pictures at the bottom of the page, the sphere with/without trip wire, are classics.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #35 (permalink)
Ex-lurker

Skeeter - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Cd View Post
Crap ! Can anyone here convert a .DWG file for me ?? ( To .Obj , .3ds etc )

Right now ... it's useless. Aint that a bi#ch !
http://lx-viewer.sourceforge.net/ should be able to convert the .DWG to .DXF and Blender can import the .DXF and export to pretty much anything; both on windows.

I'm an Ubuntu guy myself, but I'll use whatever is at hand Wish I could find a premade model for my corolla, it'd make designing mods a heck of a lot easier and I'd have some #s to to see if its worth the effort.

*edit* - found models, but they cost $. darn people wanting to be paid for their work

Last edited by i_am_socket; 06-02-2008 at 12:08 PM..
Old 06-13-2008, 11:12 PM   #36 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_socket View Post
http://lx-viewer.sourceforge.net/ should be able to convert the .DWG to .DXF and Blender can import the .DXF and export to pretty much anything; both on windows.

I'm an Ubuntu guy myself, but I'll use whatever is at hand Wish I could find a premade model for my corolla, it'd make designing mods a heck of a lot easier and I'd have some #s to to see if its worth the effort.

*edit* - found models, but they cost $. darn people wanting to be paid for their work
Many thanks for the exporter.
P.M. me about the Corolla model and what format you need it in. I have one that is similar to yours ( your generation I believe ), but not very accurate, but it can be tweaked.

I did a workaround and downloaded the demo of 3DS Max which exported .DWG files.
Then I checked here by chance ..and voila ! So, I haven't tried the exporter yet, but I'll let you know if it works.
Now all I need is a good CFD program that I can understand.
Have you used OPENFoam ?
Old 06-13-2008, 11:15 PM   #37 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I hope I'm not 'hijacking ' this thread .......... let's get back on topic here shall we ?

About the tail - is it too drastic ??? NAH !!!

Do what you want dude !

Reply  Post New Thread