Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
The extreme AreoCRX-HF project

Found my ideal car, the best MPG stock car ever sold int he USA..

The car is a 87 CRX-HF, rust free, rough around the edges but low milage the motor and trans are really tight!

I was so inspired by the AreoCivic that i had to build one .. this is the start of that very project..

The project will be a extreamly AeroCRX-HF.

Now why am i blathering on about it here, I want your input and assistance on this project, Basically suggest your ideas and ill get them done as a kind of community experiment.

Ill post some photos ect. tomorrow for you to ponder over.. photo shop and just plain have fun with..

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Got any price goals? I'm thinking of a similar project for a friend...but with the 88-91 era in order to swap a d15z1 in,
Old 05-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

I wanted to add that the car runs great but i was getting a few oddities in its idle so I figured its got to be a vacume leak, shot some starting fluid around the carb area and sure enough it is.. just have to pin point it exactly tomorrow..

Also I pulled all the plugs and replaced them and those plugs are perfect well perfect as used up plugs can look, I always pull the plugs they can tell alot about a motor..

still cant belive how tightthis motor sounds for 129,000 miles, sound smoother than many new cars.. This is my first Honda.. Im so impressed that they can make a car get 50MPG thats carbed and 20 years ago.. and 20 years later and 129,000 miles later the motor can sound that good.. WOW!!

Old 05-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Got any price goals? I'm thinking of a similar project for a friend...but with the 88-91 era in order to swap a d15z1 in,
Well goals yes as Aero as i can get it.. and done fairly inexpensively, the car only cost $950.. I want to build the new nose and tail from foam insulation and then sculpt it to the perfect shapes and then fiber glass over it to make it durable..

I'M totally open to suggestions however.. as I'm totally new to this Aero stuff.. but plan many mods like what the Eurocivic has done.. full nose tail wheel skirts, side skirts etc..

The only bad thing is its carbed so I cant computer monitor the fuel consumption.. Ill probably be vacuum gauge for instrumentation..

However i wonder if having a carb. could add some benefits to getting better MPG.

At first i thought it was fuel injected as when i started it for the test drive it was cold and it high idled and idled down just like a FI car.. almost had me fooled till i opened the air cleaner to look for blow by etc...

I kind of want to prove that a 80mpg car isnt rocket science nor for rich people only .. foam and fiber glass are dirt cheap

Old 05-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
MP$

Send a message via MSN to diesel_john
Smile

Fuel flow meters off the shelf are about $120 hook to the MPGuino and you have a digital mpg computer.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_john View Post
Fuel flow meters off the shelf are about $120 hook to the MPGuino and you have a digital mpg computer.
Really, awesome where would i get these parts?

Old 05-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

I have attached a very rough idea of what I'm thinking for the nose and tail.. the CRX isn't red this was my idea drawing before I got the CRX today.. I'm no graphic artist..

the contour i was thinking something like the nose of a late model firebird.. but less flat frontal area.

Last edited by ebacherville; 05-10-2008 at 11:15 PM..
Old 05-11-2008, 01:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

i have to add that on the way home it was raining the entire way amd the mist wake behind the CRX was almost nothing and the rear windows had Zero rain on it.. totally clear.. Signaling its air flow over the car is very efficient..

In the Crx's case the wipers are in a air flow zone, as i was watching rain rdops fly across the winscreen to get a idea of the aerodynamics of the car.. thinking rising the rear of the hood and making a cowl will be beneficial.. and probably lower its air drag even more.

Still cant see how with the fairly boxy front end they get 50 MPG.. we will start where Honda left off

Old 05-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Well i found the vacume leak, the isolation plate on the carb had a hair line crack in the plastic materia.. ordered a new one for it , .. wonder how much better its going to run it was running quite well already .. The crack in it was very small but didnt pass the starting fluid test.. so it gets replaced..

I also found out that the carb was rebuilt 3 years ago, got all the maintance records from the 2 previous owners.. 3 years ago it only had 65,000 miles on it...

Photos of the car comming soon.

Last edited by ebacherville; 05-11-2008 at 04:20 PM..
Old 05-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Here are some photos, as i said its rough around the edges but , the mechanics of the car were far more important than ascetics since that going to drastically change anyway.

here is the side, that has the big ad dent in the panel.. totally repairable but ugly:

and here is the front, where the grill piece is gone, the guy was smart enough to put some screen over it to protect the radiator, however its totally not aerodynamic now..

If your wondering the hood is totally fine, in the photo its popped.. FYI

Reply  Post New Thread