Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2017, 02:31 AM   #181 (permalink)
Primer is still paint!

85 Chevy Pickup C10 - '85 Chevy C10
I'm still on the fence about the sedan delivery. Also I didn't know they had a storage area between the rear wheels. But yeah space is the issue. I figure any air cooled should get 30+ mpg with a 5 spd, so aero is not a big issue.

Here's a nice one in Brazil:

1971 Volkswagen Other 1600

Last edited by ChopStix; 05-24-2017 at 02:37 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-24-2017, 03:21 PM   #182 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopStix View Post
Here's a nice one in Brazil:
Sure, a TL, even though they're becoming rare I still see some once in a while. It's among my favorite old Volkswagens, but if I were going to take one I would be tempted to resto-mod it and eventually fit a liquid-cooled engine. The challenging issue would be to fit it in a way that wouldn't require me to raise the floor of its rear luggage compartment too much, since it's originally fitted with the axial-fan engine. I'd not want to use a Subaru engine, and Volkswagen's own wasserboxer from the Vanagons are unobtainium here, so maybe the only way to go would be the non-crossflow EA827, and finding a way to tilt it a little more to the right side for clearance would be still needed. I'm sure it would also need some custom intake and exhaust manifolds.

Anyway, maybe the only air-cooled rear-engined Volkswagen that I still have some mixed feelings about its design is the SP2.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #183 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
The challenging issue would be to fit it in a way that wouldn't require me to raise the floor of its rear luggage compartment too much, since it's originally fitted with the axial-fan engine. I'd not want to use a Subaru engine, and Volkswagen's own wasserboxer from the Vanagons are unobtainium here, so maybe the only way to go would be the non-crossflow EA827, and finding a way to tilt it a little more to the right side for clearance would be still needed. I'm sure it would also need some custom intake and exhaust manifolds.
Wikipedia doesn't say whether the Vanagon Diesel uses the EA827, but they are laid way over, available here:

Quality German Auto Parts ~|~ VW 1600cc (1.6) Turbo Diesel Vanagon

I looked over and touched the Dasher today. I still haven't driven it, but I watched it being moved inside for the night; it started right up.

No cracks in the taillights or turn signals; the vinyl dash will get aluminum tape and then Plastidip. I hope to perfect the transaction on Friday. Tyler said I was the first one he whispered the price to; and it was a done deal in that instant. The Superbeetle was for sale parked in a farmer's field.

It's the perfect time to buy that convertible in the background. It's not too late to respray it in a year-correct L-code color; possibly:
  • Yukon Yellow (L-19K)
  • Kansas Beige (L91D)
Old 05-24-2017, 10:46 PM   #184 (permalink)
Primer is still paint!

I would avoid the tape and just fill/sand the dash cracks with Bondo Flexible Part repair. Then pdip the dash. Its easy to use like all Bondo fillers, except it drys flexible. You can get it at most auto part shops, and home repair centers. I used it when messing with my vans bumper cover cracks. It works good. Though I didn't respray, I just filled them and touched up the crack lines with paint. I also urethane epoxied patches across the cracks on the back. But bumper covers take more abuse than dashes (typically).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-VWBeetle-70thAnniversary-08.gif
Views:	308
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	21841  
The Following User Says Thank You to ChopStix For This Useful Post:
freebeard (05-24-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 11:15 PM   #185 (permalink)
Primer is still paint!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2016-VWBeetle-70thAnniversary-07.gif
Views:	353
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	21846  
Old 05-26-2017, 01:28 AM   #186 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There exists a website called Encycolorpedia; I haven't found the list of VW colors but you can search by name, e.g. 'Mexico Beige' gets Volkswagen Mexico Beige / #d9a06f Hex Color Code Schemes, Charts, Palettes, Paints & RGB / CMYK / HSL Conversion

It lists everything imaginable:
  • Color Space Conversions (RGB, HSL, 23 others)
  • Color Blindness Simulation (!)
  • Color Schemes for #d9a06f / Color Combinations & Harmonies
  • Related Named Colors
  • Colors from Paint Charts / Paint Brands & Suppliers (the three closest colors from 100 different suppliers (Krylon, PPG, Pantone, Humbol etc. with a ΔE for each one)

It doesn't find Shantung Gold, but if I get an RGB value elsewhere, you can search for and it will generate a page for that. Here's Mountbatten Pink (the manliest pink).

The average color of Universe is Cosmic Latte. So if you want to blend in () the closest VW color is Cashmere White #f9f4e3, else Champagne Pearl #fcf6ea, else Light Ivory #fef6de. This is awesome, I feel all empowered.

What is your favorite Volkswagen Color?
Old 05-26-2017, 02:03 AM   #187 (permalink)
Primer is still paint!

I'm not a VW purist, so the factory colors are not as important to me. I'm more about making a vehicle mine over stock restorations. I prefer satisfying my vehicle functionality needs over them being factory original. For example I nearly purchased a '70 Buick GSX one time because it didn't have the correct numbers matching engine. But that was back in my car racing days... Before you ask, this is one of the cars that I used to race:

But I have news as well. I bid on a type2, though I'm not holding my breath on actually winning it. I would prefer to not share a bunch of details so as to not get my hopes up, if you know what I mean....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0107.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	21847  
Old 05-26-2017, 05:29 PM   #188 (permalink)
Primer is still paint!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2016-VWBeetle-70thAnniversary-05.gif
Views:	431
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	21848  
Old 05-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #189 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+wood+gas

HOLZBRENNER VOLKSWAGENS - Wood-Burning Cars
Quote:
They were called “Holzbrenners” (Wood burners) and were made primarily by Porsche.
Most of the wood gas vehicles ever were 1940s VWs.

I'm holding title and 'Pacific Wonderland' plates who's number will be obscured for purposes of the build thread. It already has a block heater. Whoo-hoo!

Chopstix — The mechanic at the shop drives a black next-gen Camaro with that cowl induction 'scoop'. It has a V-6 clear back under the dashboard. He likes it for the weight balance.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #190 (permalink)
Primer is still paint!

I don't mean to be politically judgemental. But its amazing how technologically brilliant the German's in WWII were, yet so stupidly blind in their race relations. Gasifier driven cars are pretty cool, especially for that era of technology when they didn't have, or use our level safety precautions.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2016-VWBeetle-70thAnniversary-01.gif
Views:	392
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	21849  
Reply  Post New Thread