Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 12:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
The A is about 35 ft^2, and about .345 Cd for Cara... I was almost half thinking about getting a Metro or something similar, but then I sort of also think that I'd rather just put it in something that I'll get the most use out of, even if it's not the best for aero or mileage gains...

What I'm sure I'd like to do is use either the van or a small pickup, something that has some utilitarian advantage to it. I can carry plywood and passengers in Cara, and she's not all too unhappy about it.

My first idea is definitely to put the motor into Cara... I think she could use a little more brute muscle in place of the anemic 2.4 liter she has now, and I still would love to get a bike or something to supplement my driving, since I'm alone most of the time... no point in moving 3500 lbs of Cara when I could move only ~600 lbs of bike and get 2x or better the fuel mileage.

On top of that, my original modding plan for Cara involved more than just a diesel engine... I was actually thinking a dual-drive diesel electric hybrid, like I mentioned above...

Either way, I'll definitely document every piece of the process, since I'll probably end up writing it up completely.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-03-2009, 12:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Christ -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
The A is about 35 ft^2, and about .345 Cd for Cara... I was almost half thinking about getting a Metro or something similar, but then I sort of also think that I'd rather just put it in something that I'll get the most use out of, even if it's not the best for aero or mileage gains...

What I'm sure I'd like to do is use either the van or a small pickup, something that has some utilitarian advantage to it. I can carry plywood and passengers in Cara, and she's not all too unhappy about it.

My first idea is definitely to put the motor into Cara... I think she could use a little more brute muscle in place of the anemic 2.4 liter she has now, and I still would love to get a bike or something to supplement my driving, since I'm alone most of the time... no point in moving 3500 lbs of Cara when I could move only ~600 lbs of bike and get 2x or better the fuel mileage.

On top of that, my original modding plan for Cara involved more than just a diesel engine... I was actually thinking a dual-drive diesel electric hybrid, like I mentioned above...

Either way, I'll definitely document every piece of the process, since I'll probably end up writing it up completely.
Fantastic stuff. That dude is giving you the chance to "Pay it forward". I would go with Cara, simply because she's the "mule you know" and would defray your initial investment.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 06-03-2009, 01:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

I was thinking Cara for the following reasons -

Familiarity
Initial Investment
Return (utility)
Return (resale of salvaged parts, engine, auto tranny, etc.)
The fact that it's an "out of the ordinary" vehicle to be pursuing excellent mippigs in, and it kinda shows that you can even be eco-friendly without driving a Festiva.

The only reason I'd thought about using a small truck was so that I could easily mount the engine in a longitudinal orientation, and have a full utility vehicle... but on the same note, I have nearly that with Cara, once I upgrade the rear suspension, and no further investment beyond parts.

I'd love to see what ideas everyone else has that might refine the process though.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Another reason for Cara is that you already know how efficient she is, so it'd be that much easier to notice the gains of a diesel engine+tranny swap.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 06-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I struck up a friendship with an old dutch guy who bought an electric scooter of me thru Trademe which is an Ebay kinda thing in NZ.

I've dropped round and seen him a few times, hanging out in his workshop talking machinery, life and love.

Its things like these which really make life worthwhile.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:38 AM   #16 (permalink)

Pics, as promised:

Starter ID plate

Starter plate again

Block stamp, intake side

Old 06-16-2009, 12:40 AM   #17 (permalink)

The motor comes from a Thermo-King refrigerated unit, if I ever need parts for it, I either go back to them, or to Mercedes USA for a 170-series car. (Circa 1949).

The thermostat housing looks like I can get one from a GM small block... I'll have to see what fits it though, b/c I"m sure the OEM part will be outrageous.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:38 AM   #18 (permalink)

And now, to switch it up.

I just traded the OM636 Reefer engine to a guy who was interested in building a HPU for his northern NY home.

He contacted me through CL, and asked about trading or buying my engine. I told him that I'd prefer to trade, since, as nice as cash would have been, it would have left me without a diesel engine, which wasn't a good idea for me.

He agreed, and began searching for a good trade. First hit - 240D engine/4 speed tranny, good, running condition, pulled from an old lady car. I bit. Sure, lets do the trade.

He's in Northern NY. He drives to Atlantic City, NJ, where he spends the money to stay in a Motel the night... then to the guy's house, in Wildwood, NJ, to pay $150 for the parts, sight unseen. From there, he proceeds to my house, another 5-6 hours' drive time, to drop them off and pick up my engine, again, sight unseen.

Amazingly - the whole deal went over great. We're both satisfied. He has a HPU motor, I have a 240D setup to drop into.... wait... what do I put this thing into?

Pics soon!

Old 10-04-2009, 06:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
63 Ford Ranchero with a Jon Boat for a cap (use the boat for rivers ).

Very early Ford ranger same cap.

A Datsun 240 Z, then it would be a 240 ZD LOL.

regards
Mech

Reply  Post New Thread