Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #81 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
It fits!

Axles fit too!!!!

There's even proper clearance around the CV joint on the passenger side, which I didn't even think about when I was putting the axles in.

Not much more and I'll be past this annoying mechanical phase...
Nice work - looks *FAR* better than the 'adjustments' I made to my adapter plate!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-14-2016, 08:05 AM   #82 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Is that a crack I see on the cross member ? If so , I would weld it up and then weld a brace / stiffener plate to it .

God bless
Wyr

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fireflyevconversion00049-0.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	19638  
Old 02-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #83 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
Is that a crack I see on the cross member ? If so , I would weld it up and then weld a brace / stiffener plate to it .

God bless
Wyr
I'll check it out. Didn't notice it when I was under there.

Edit: it's just a weld seam. Dark line is from the shadow of said seam in the flash on my camera.

Last edited by Stubby79; 02-14-2016 at 10:03 AM..
Old 02-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #84 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Where I circled in red ?

God bless
Wyr
Old 02-15-2016, 02:17 AM   #85 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
Where I circled in red ?

Wyr
Yes.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:24 AM   #86 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Once you have the motor and transmission mounted, it might be a good ideal to remove the axle nuts from the hubs and test slide the axles in and out to check the centering of everything between the axles. Since those axles are just a tiny bit shorter than the originals, it is a little more critical to have the tranny well centered between them. With both axles pushed into the tranny, you can watch where they go into the hubs as you slide them in and out of the hubs, which gives you a good visual perspective if one of the axles is able to go further into that hub. There will always be a little more in and out travel between the trans and the hubs than there is on the ICE configuration, but I have never had any problems with it. I have had it over 100 mph and done smoky burn outs, and no troubles with the axles. Your build is looking great, it looks like food for a man's soul.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:31 AM   #87 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Question

Pondering my battery boxes...cuz, hey, it'll take me a while to decide what direction to go...might as well start thinking well in advance!

I'd like 2 modules of 24 cells each, in a uniform layout. I can either do 4x6 or 3x8 cells to get this. Or any other combination, really, but these give me a nice size & shape for handling, as well as being at my comfortable limit for lifting by hand, if necessary.

I'd like clear access to the motor's electrical connections, if possible. (But I intentionally rotated my motor to face forwards, so I can get at them from underneath, even if there's a box right over top of the motor). And, for potential "expansion reasons", it would be nice if the area immediately in front of the motor was clear.

It would be great if I could keep the weight low and behind the center line of the front wheels...but that's dreaming! I'd have to be doing a mid-engine car to pull that off. Hmm...naw, don't need to follow that thought. So, unless I want to put the batteries in the back, or at least half of them, I'm stuck putting them under the hood. That has some advantages, at least...

Also not likely to be able to mount them low, again for balance/handling...not without making access to them almost impossible. No easy access to them sounds risky to me...so easy access is required.

I can always move them later, once I'm confident of their well being and if I feel the need to re-arrange the weight distribution.

So, not quite trusting my ability to measure and envision things in place, I mocked up some boxes to get a feel for how they will fit.

This first layout is about the only one that permits me to keep the two packs flat and uniform. One is 6x4 the other is 8x3. They're not twins, but there isn't really enough room for two matching, without cutting the car's sheet metal to make room. It's fairly aesthetically pleasing, since the front of both boxes line up:

It leaves me with access to things on the firewall...

And, with the pack on the left sitting low and level, there's room on top for, say, my motor controller:

While the pack on the right is forced to sit at an angle to match the hood and the transmission.

This shot is just checking to see if the two packs could be lengthwise beside each other...

...a little too tight.

The 6x4 is a great fit over the motor...

....but the other module would have to be "stepped" to fit. Or located elsewhere in the car.

Would two 6x4s fit?

No, that's past the half-way point.

8x3 fits between the booster and the strut tower...

...but has to be raised to get over the trans, so no space for controller...nor anywhere to fit the other module intact.

And interfere with the hood:

(imagine my tape measure is the hood)

So, back to the original. Titled up on the left side to match the right?

While visually appealing, I lose controller space.

And, out of curiosity, can I fit the 6x4 up against the firewall, on end?

Yes, apparently I can...whatever that's worth.

So, most likely I'll go with the original layout. It leave me easy access to everything. I do have to give up some of the space and the visual access to the motor's terminals, and the weight will be sitting up high...though probably no worse than an engine would.

Meh.

Thoughts?
Old 02-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #88 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
Thoughts?
Under the hood is a good place to start.

Under the rear seat, where the gas tank is (I think) would work well to put a bit of weight on the back and keep the Center of gravity a bit lower but it adds cable runs and complexity. Such a small volume would not take significant weight out of the front, though.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #89 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I would try to put the weight divided between the trunk and the under hood area . If I had to / needed to , I would put more weight in the rear . Too much weight in the front is possibly going to cause problems . If stronger springs are needed , I would think it would be simpler in the back .

Be careful what you do in the front . You do not want to mess up the front suspension and / or allignment .

God bless
Wyr
Old 02-17-2016, 03:11 AM   #90 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
conversion, electric, ev conversion, firefly, geo metro