Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ranger - '99 Ford Ranger XLT
90 day: 25.05 mpg (US)
First Post; with questions

Hey everyone I've done a little reading here in the past and finally decided to join. I have a 1999 Ford Ranger regular cab with a 3.0L V6, 5 speed, and a 3.73 rear end. I have always liked Rangers as they have been reliable for me and I like the look. If I drive like everyone else I normally get around 22 mpg, but after reading some things on here I managed to squeeze 25mpg out of it. My best with e85 has been 20.5mpg. (My truck is a flex fuel model)

Ill get on to the point, I have two little kids and the lack of space is starting to be more of an issue. My wife has a Grabd Cherokee so we use it mostly but I'd like to be able to take one or both kids somewhere in my own vehicle. I have found that I rarely use the bed of my truck. It also has nearly 155k miles on it. It's still decent but it's showing its age for sure.

My commute is about 25 miles each way, mostly interstate. Out of the 25 I'd say 4 miles are "city." I'm just trying to get some ideas on what cars to look at. I won't be buying new, but probably something in the $6-8k range used. I know that's not a lot of money, but surely I can find something.

Here are my must haves-

Manual transmission, ability to seat 4 people (but not necessarily 4 door), fun to drive, and something I could squeeze 40mpg out of. One more thing would be a car that is generally known for reliability. I realize its a crap shoot with a used car but something with a good track record would be great.

When I say fun to drive I'm not looking for speed really, but just a responsive car that handles well. Good acceleration would be nice, but that kind of takes away from the mpg goal. I don't know if I've set the bar too high, but hopefully I can get a better idea of some cars I should focus on.

I'm sorry for the newb post, but I've mostly been a truck guy. I know a good bit about the different models but not so much when it comes the smaller cars.

I hope to stick around and learn more.

Thanks,
Joey

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Yaris?

How about a 2009 Yaris base sedan?
2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan Base What's it Worth?

Supposedly a good steering package, like the 1990s Civics.

Or maybe a Honda Fit?

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I was thinking about maybe a 2005ish Civic or something. I'm not sure if a Fit is in my price range. No offense to any Yaris owners, but I'm not big on the looks. Actually I should have said no Toyotas.

I hope I haven't made anyone mad right off the bat but I guess I'm leaning more toward a Honda.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
I think a Civic would be a great start for you, easy to find in a standard trans, seats four, and will be much better on gas than the Grand Cherokee. I would stay away from the "sporty" models like the Si and SiR civics, they are geared lower and won't give as good of mileage.

I went from an already efficient Neon to an older Civic VX (king of the hill for MPG civics), and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yeah it seems like they are pretty easy to find in my price range. I'd like to get something around a 2003 or newer. I still can't believe my 1999 model truck is 14 years old.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
Yeah its hard to believe, I always thought of my 2000 Neon as pretty new, until you actually stop to think that its 12/13 years! You should be able to find one 03 or newer in your price range.

Reply  Post New Thread