Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008, 05:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
The reason is sacrifice. You have to sacrificie speed and that makes you late (cause you can't leave 1-2 minutes earlier). For some reason they think they need to go that fast and that it gets them there lightyears ahead of you.
Once I got used to getting out of the left lane (usually into the rightmost or next-to-rightmost lane), it isn't so bad. It isn't as if people are pointing and laughing--any more than I was when I was in the left lane.

What I've seen lately is that EVERYBODY has slowed down significantly. The 91 freeway, where traffic normally moved 75+ in all three lanes, has slowed to 65 in the right 1-2 lanes, and 70 tops in the left lane. There are still a few crazies that have to wind back and forth to keep going 90 (in trucks typically--what's with that?), but for the most part, when I'm going 62-65, I'm going about the same speed as everyone else, whereas a year ago I'd be lapped by everyone else.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic - '98 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 41.44 mpg (US)
I think its funny when some one starts at the top of a hill next to me at a light.
the light turns green and they floor it...
I start my car...put it in drive...give it enough gas to crest the hill...put in neutral...and shut the car off.
I see them catch and wait for a red part way down the hill, then at the bottom of the hill...way ahead of me.
then I pull up next to them at the last light with my engine still off, as the light turns green.

It may take longer but i seems like a more relaxed way to drive because your in motion longer.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
It can be argued that you are actually wasting time if you are sitting still at a light even if your car is off ... otherwise that time spent EOCing is still building MPG's instead of doing absolutely nothing.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 08-20-2008, 11:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

this tank was about 30mpg...because I had a couple days were I had to move quickly and used up a bit more fuel than I would of liked to.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Irresponsible no more!

Energizer Bunny - '99 Toyota Camry
90 day: 35.37 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikkonceptz View Post
Why do so many people refuse to drive smarter? ... when I tell them that 90 percent of the gains came from slowing down they look at me like I'm holding their newborn hostage.

I also see alot of that here with new members. I see many posting from day one on how they can modify their cars via dams, wheel skirts, mirror deletes, etc, but fail to give slowing down the best chance before modding their cars.

I mean if we are so tight on cash, then why not slow down, it is the easiest mod that delivers the most gains.
My sentiments from Day 1. This nut behind the wheel was turned 180 degrees to the tune of almost 50% improvement - I've done nothing to the car. And to those out there who think the world is slowing down, I believe the word is Scotoma. You never knew there were people going this slow before because you were blasting by at 80 mph (like me). Now you see that not everyone out there is blazing the trail.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

still shy on psi (oh! A poet!)LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSatz View Post
While at the gas station I inflated my tires up to about 36psi (recommended 32, max sidewall 40--I decided to start halfway), so hopefully that will help some. I'll keep working on the "nut behind the wheel." Still pondering the SGII or MPGuino.
Your tires will take higher...will your seat ( harsher ride)? ScanGauge is great...I'm not too happy with the maze of button "pages"...one tends to get lost in the confusion ( if one could only "back up"!). Pricey, but lots of info, here.
While at the gas station (unless you live close by) your tires were warmer than "cold". You didn't put as much air in as you think....The whole tire will cool down overnight. Check 'em again in the cool AM, and see what's really in there.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

34mpg again...seems to be my plateau average.
This last tank I did no EOC and ran with the a/c on almost all the time...and still averaged 34mpg.
hmmm....

Starting some aero mods soon.

Reply  Post New Thread