Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
I installed block heater recently, and it took a grand total of around 5 minutes. Unbolted the drain plug which was within reach from the top of the motor, very quickly swapped the drain plug for my block heater which had the same threads, tightened it down, ran the power cable to the grille in the front. Since I was quick switching the plug for the heater, less than a cup of coolant was lost.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

How about installing an induction heater in your floor under your car? Do you have some metals that a magnet will stick to for it to work?
Old 12-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenstate View Post
I can remember my father speaking of building a fire under the oil pan of his father's hand crank Fordson tractor just to bring the oil temperature up to the point where it could be cranked and started. This was in Nebraska where it gets real cold in the winter.
I witnessed some of this fancy pre-heating work years ago on forestry equipment. This was an old Timberjack skidder with a 353 Detroit diesel in it.

I don't find 40-50 degrees to be cold...but I am in Canada, so our definitions of cold are obviously going to be different. In the winter, I normally keep my garage heated in the 40 degree range when not in use, and bump it up to 50 or 60 when I am working out there. Depending on what I'm doing, I may even turn the temp down to 50...if I'm doing any real work...lol.

I don't think it's going to make much difference to the car if the ambient starting temps are 40-50 degrees...but then again, I certainly no expert...lol.

Rem

Cobb (12-13-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread