Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2015, 02:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
09 Toyo Yaris HB (Huevos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Instead of making these damn cars harder to work on/diagnose, how about just more aerodynamic? That 6% will never pay for itself when it takes me an extra 2 hours to diagnose an engine misfire problem and I charge you 90$ an hour for labor.
Try $120 to 160 in the Bay Area. but diagnostics are normally a flat fee

I like the idea of more Aerodynamic, but the devil is in the style details. Pure Aero takes away a little to much artistic freedom for the designer, and the car still needs to appeal and sell to the masses. At the moment that means the option to incorporate individual choices on wings, headlights, front and rear bumper covers, graphics, etc.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-24-2015, 03:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Why wouldn't they just deactivate all cylinders together for short bursts of time?
Add a capacitor bank and a generator/motor flywheel IMA style, dump the alternator and starter motor; it would be like a mini hybrid but without the extra weight.

Unlike a normal hybrid it would pulse on and off in quick succession; charging the capacitor banks when running on gas, depleting them when not.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Send a message via MSN to markweatherill
Dual Mass Flywheels are popular on diesel cars but do have a tendency to self destruct. It's one of several technologies that negate the fuel savings of diesel with huge repair bills. The Pendulum Absorber is something I hadn't heard of before but is in the same class.

It really is a false economy to produce super-economical cars that in reality have only a short life.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
09 Toyo Yaris HB (Huevos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Why wouldn't they just deactivate all cylinders together for short bursts of time?
Add a capacitor bank and a generator/motor flywheel IMA style, dump the alternator and starter motor; it would be like a mini hybrid but without the extra weight.

Unlike a normal hybrid it would pulse on and off in quick succession; charging the capacitor banks when running on gas, depleting them when not.
Interesting, "hardware-wise" you've just describe the 2013/14 Toyota Yaris Hybrid R concept vehicle, but that's a racing setup where the front is fueled power and the rear wheels are electric hub motors connected to large fast discharge capacitor banks. Unlike the pulse concept the extra electric power forces the car for maintain traction and stability at high speeds and around road course turns.

Since there is a real possibility a 400 hp engine come overwhelm vehicle control at WOT, the rear electrics engage to force the car back to straight and under control. I guess that's a pulse concept, but I think it powers the electric up only in the event of loss of stability. The same concept is used by Ferrari and other in CAM Am international type racing.

Reply  Post New Thread