Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2016, 06:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Thumbs up

While friction drive is not something I'd chose, all these ideas are a great help to get me thinking of different means of doing what you're suggesting. Keep the creative juices flowing!

I've got engines and electric motors for this use and have been trying to decide how to get the power from one or the other to the ground. I don't really want to generate electricity only to convert it back to mechanical...the losses add up in a hurry. Get it straight to the ground is the most efficient, affordable and lightest method that I'm aware of. But the main benefit to generating electricity is the simplicity of hooking it up to my EV, so I've not completely given up on the idea.

Using the rear axle from an older Tracker to make a hybrid out of an ICE vehicle was one idea I had -- they have a 5-point-something to 1 ratio differential, so you would be at the right kind of RPM for an electric motor once you got up to speed.

The 5th wheel idea and or a trailer went through my head as well. Main concern is the additional drag & weight. Weight distribution is a factor as well, if it were to not support itself on it's own wheels, as in a "hitch carrier" type mounting. However, these all open up the possibility of doing some really good aero modifications to the back end of a vehicle, so there is something to offset the downsides.

I'm looking to have a removable range extender for my Firefly (Geo Metro). It only needs ~10 hp continuous to maintain level highway speeds, according to my calculations. I have an appropriate engine for it. And a propane carb for said engine, as I am not a fan of the combination of gasoline and carbs. I either need to keep it light enough to lift in to place, or else have it on wheels. Problem with a trailer setup is the sheer waste of space, and a detachable 5th wheel will be a bugger to balance. a two-wheeled 5th wheel has occurred to me, but now you've got extra weight and drag.

If I end up building a trailer, I might as well go big or go home...built a universal one that can hook up to any of my vehicles and add either electric or ICE propulsion as necessary. Rather need a differential to pull it off though.

Anyway, I'll be watching with interest to see what else the rest of you come up with. Keep up the good work!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread