Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Classifieds > For Sale
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

90VX - '90 Honda Civic Std
90 day: 46.32 mpg (US)
Having done a similar conversion, I would say it absolutely IS worth it. And having kept an eye on what VXs and Metros and small diesels are actually selling for, I would have to say that KBB is full of ****.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-27-2008, 03:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Seems to be pretty accurate in terms of the lower end/high mileage stuff. The better condition/lower mileage stuff has appreciated more, but the floor of ~$2k is still there. Probably less if something w/ a blow engine is found.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
nowhhs -

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhhs View Post
Having done a similar conversion, I would say it absolutely IS worth it. And having kept an eye on what VXs and Metros and small diesels are actually selling for, I would have to say that KBB is full of ****.
I agree but for other reasons :

1 - It's more expensive in SoCal (say with "It's Tougher In Alaska" voice). The cost of living is higher, so the cost of what you make is higher.

2 - If fistopher's intent is to make this into a living, the initial cost of early conversions will be higher, IMO. If fistopher gets it down to being a science, then he should be able to crank out ????-VXs at lower prices in the future.

3 - fistopher is doing *exactly* what we all talk about, but he is specifically doing it to make a profit. I *want* as many VX engines on the highway in Hondas or ???? as possible. Isn't this a good thing?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 07-27-2008, 04:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ecoformance Engineer

EJ7 - '96 honda civic Hx
Last 3: 58.02 mpg (US)
Its only worth what someone is willing to pay

I would say 5k, but these kinds of cars values are only going to go up.

Z1 and y5 swaps are still dirty cheap, complete swaps going for $150-300. I would start stockpiling these vtec-e engines for swaps when gas starts to really climb.

70 mpg or die modding

www.full-race.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
looking forward to seeing what kind of uber-sipper slinks out of the full race skunkworks.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Vince hit the nail on the head. It's worth what someone is willing to pay, not what someone else thinks its worth. It isn't worth 6k to me, because I can do the work myself and I need more than 2 seats, but for those who can't and don't, I think its a reasonable price. Where I live you don't find complete swaps for $150-300 (it must be another Cali thing). And yes Carlos, if the manufacturers won't do it, I think it is a great thing that someone is putting more VX engines on the road.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Fistopher: Did you sell it already? The link is gone. I wanted to see the ad.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
I don't think anyone, including myself, is arguing that it isn't worth $6k or whatever. Like others have said, it's worth is whatever people pay for it. My point was that I felt the margins were excessive. Hell, if people are starving and will pay thousands of dollars for a meal, then that meal is worth whatever people pay for it. But IMO, someone who is taking advantage of a disproportionate difference in costs is taking excessive profit. Similarly, if oil/car/financial companies all happen to make the moves that would result in high prices for their consumers w/ profits that are disproportionate to the benefits of their products, then that's excessive too IMO. Clearly different things have different magnitudes of impact, but regardless I tend not to approve of them. Although I do disapprove of some more than others.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

del sol

not sold yet but I got an offer of 5k coming this thurs. I will have more conversions on the way, Here are a few more pics.
*48 MPG HONDA CIVIC DEL SOL *ECO* CONVERSION* Long Expensive commute??
Old 07-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
My point was that I felt the margins were excessive...
Don't you think that's being just a little critical?

Have you ever done an engine and computer swap like this?

Not everyone has the skills to pull this off, in fact, I'd say dam few have the skills and tenacity to gather the components, let alone get it to fire then pass emissions at the ref station. Talk about jumping through hoops...

It will sell for exactly what it's worth, not a penny more. If the market will bear it, who cares? My friend's shop does V8 EFI swaps. There are so many unforeseen problems and issues he encounters, he won't even give a firm-fixed price quote. it's an industry standard. Why? If he did, he'd loose his shop in a matter of months.

If it's a clean instal and passes CA smog, $6k doesn't sound out of line to me. I wish you luck with the sale.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Roflwaffle's done lots of work himself, I think, he just doesn't put a lot of value on it, . I mean, if you look at the equivalent for other cars, you can put a $2k b16 in a crx and then sell it for like 200 bucks more than stock. Doing the work actually makes it less valuable, .

I don't think the seller is out of line in his asking price, I just don't think he'll necessarily find a buyer easily. But that's how it is, you have to find someone with the same values as you.

Reply  Post New Thread