Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Fuel efficient hot rod?

Place marker for a possible build and idea collector for others interested in "fun to drive 40mpg+ cars.
Some back ground:
Recent divorce has me needing something with something resembling MPG. My 97 Land Cruiser sure isn't it. I work 2 miles from home so the sucky MPG was not a big negative and while married the family ride was a Previa that did reasonable mpg when we all went somewhere but that left with her.

I had considered buying something like a late 90's Outback as a Cruiser replacement thinking I could milk close to 30 mpg and it still would haul the dogs and run down most forest service roads. Problem is Subaru owners seem to be REAL proud of their cars and want to keep them because in North Ga they all ask $2k over KBB. The second Problem is those years and more importantly my price range seem to have a LOT of head gasket issues (known problem and Subaru even redid their warranty because of it) and they seem to have transmissions eat it around 220k and that's both manuals and auto. I've looked a 3 that had early signs of head gask failure and one that defiantly had a blown head gasket and they still won't budge off $2+k with known and disclosed blown transmissions and head gaskets needing $1-2k+ in repairs. As much as I like Outbacks Kind of backing off that not wanting my only 4wheel transportation possibly being a problem when cash is tight.

I do some back woods camping where 4x4 is a requirement and plan to do more now that my main obstacle to it in the first place was the Ex is now gone. I also regularly drag lawn equipment around (and more then a outback will handle and why I got rid of my 86 4Runner in favor of the Cruiser) helping out my elderly mother so really don't want to get rid of my Cruiser.

Ex moved with my daughter 90 miles down the road so In addition to $700 in child support when gas was over $3 I was burning $300+ in fuel each month. Tire change (sized down and tires were not worn evenly so extra drag/ parisic loss on the AWD) I managed to squeak an extra 2mpg out of the pig but I really need something over 30mpg and that will let me save at least $50 a month even after insuring a second vehicle with gas prices where they are. 40mpg and the savings really ad up.

$1500 plus 30mpg fun cars that will smog without $500-1000+ in repairs before going into service, clean titles and under 200k just don't seem to exist in the Atlanta area. I've been looking for months
My issue is without selling the cruiser I need somthing I can get in and drive for around $2k and needs to be 40mpg hwy to make the math work.

I am being a bit selective and want something fun to drive. A/C is a must! I'd like a light weight coupe (longer doors easier to get in and out of) or a 2 door civic hatch or simular that I can put some suspension tweeks under it for the North Ga twisties but will still be decent for my frequent 180mil round trips to get my kid on the weekends. Been hoping to find Unmolested CRX DX or SI, they just don't exist at that price range around here with out half butt cut springs lowering jobs, junk speed parts, half a** motor swaps that can't pass smog. That's a lot of my problem. The cars I'm interested in are also the same ones that tend to get hot rodded in my area so the good condition ones go for a premium.

I did find manual insight's pop up from time to time that could be had under $2k with bad batteries. That's seems to be not uncommon. They don't interest the fast and furious kids so the prices are not artificially high. The manuals seem to be the way to go as the cvt transmissions seem to not to stand the test of time. Even with bad batteries they sound like you can run them on the gas motor if I can get them smogged. The batteries are stupid expensive. Thats got me doing research on batteries and possible repowering if I can figure out how to get it smogged with say a 150hp civic motor. Id still get mid 40's or better mpg for about what the batteries would set me back.

This is what got me thinking a repower. 89-91CRX is 2200 ish lb. First gen Insight is 1800ish lb and lower drag co. This guy in FL jammed a 200+hp K20 series engine in one and gets 46hwy. Springs and shocks are said to make these handle very good. So if I can pick up a crash downer car where I can pull the complete drive train and engine management, dash ect for around $1k and then sell off the insight drive train if think I can have a very serviceable car for around $3k.
My only concern is passing smog. If I have a 2000-2005 OBDII civic drivetrain with all its smog goodies functioning as they should will it pass smog when the vin they enter says its a Insight?
Fun reading:
Honda K Powered Insight - Environmental Blasphemy - Honda Tuning Magazine

Last edited by Grim; 12-28-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
I have a 2002 Forester that I paid $3000 for a couple years ago, 150k, manual, 2 sets of good tires mounted up. It has had an oil leaking head gasket the whole time, not really a big deal. Mine now has 175k on it head gaskets never touched. If they leak exhaust into the coolant they will overheat. I can get 25mpg all city not even trying, and as good as 35 on the highway. I live in the Subaru capitol of the world, Missoula Mt, which is good and bad. Plenty of stock always trading hands but the prices are high. I could still probably get $3000 for my car in less then a week, especially with rebates coming soon and fresh snowfall. The Subie isn't really a good 4x4 to say, and if you were going to do the rock crawling, hill climbing 4x4 type stuff the automatic is much better then the manual. With no low range the clutch is just to weak to take much slow speed, gental application of power needed to crawl over obstacles. Now if you want a rally type, surefooted, dirt road AWD, the manual is great.
I also looked at a CRX but am glad I paid a little more for the Forester. Back when the Rav4 first came out (96 or 97) we rode in one in Australia. 3 full size men, towing a 18" boat from sea level to 2500 feet and the thing seemed to do great. I don't know if the Aussies got a better version but I was very impressed. That would be my other choice besides a Subie.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hersbird if I could only have one vehicle a Subaru Outback would be at the top of the list with a CRV or RAV4 AWD right behind them. My mom has a RAV4 that I will one day, hopefully 20 years from now, inherit. It's a 2001 and just rolled 22,000 miles and always kept in a garage.

Cash for clunkers has destroyed the used car market here. People traded in perfectly fine cars they could afford with plenty of life in them for cars they couldn't afford that ended up getting repoed or resold 12 months later. Their old cars were destroyed as part of the program. They then bought up what remaining used cars were left after loosing the new car and drove the used price through the roof. Your car in Atlanta would be advertised for $5k and sell at $4500 if it is rust free.
KBB is so far off what stuff is selling for in North GA it isn't funny. I sold my 86 4Runner in March for $4300. I bought it with a bad transmission for $1200 8 years before that. It needed paint, carpet, and seats recovered and the A/c wasn't working. I rebuilt the transmission my self for $200. KBB listed it for $1600 in fair condition. I paid through the nose for my Cruiser and I can easily get $9k for it right now. If I held out $10k by March. It's crazy!

If I'm keeping the Cruiser I need the second car to get 40+ MPG to make the math work. If I was smart (I'm not lol) I'd suck it up and just buy a good condition Prius. I want something I can enjoy on the awesome mountain roads we have here. Hense my desire for sport compact type vehicle or something unique. What would be more fun then a insight that is getting 45-50mpg hwy that has a weight to horse power ratio of a muscle car?
Old 12-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Two miles? Keep your cruiser and bike to work.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
Cobb (12-28-2014), Fat Charlie (12-29-2014), spacemanspif (12-29-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maybe there is a bus you can take? A cab is like 2.50 a call and 2.50 a mile here. Not bad for short commutes. Maybe you can car pool, maybe someone near you who is close by that could give you a ride?

For a great used eco car 10 grand is a much better budget unless you will take a riced out POS honda off the hands of the parents who repossed it from their ahole kid.

Granted the little cars you mentioned roll on forever and in many cases 250k miles its just breaking in.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My original post was long so I can understand missing this part
Quote:
Ex moved with my daughter 90 miles down the road so In addition to $700 in child support when gas was over $3 I was burning $300+ in fuel each month. Tire change (sized down and tires were not worn evenly so extra drag/ parisic loss on the AWD) I managed to squeak an extra 2mpg out of the pig but I really need something over 30mpg and that will let me save at least $50 a month even after insuring a second vehicle with gas prices where they are. 40mpg and the savings really ad up.
Two or three weekends a month I'm driving 360 miles (180 round trip to pick up on Friday and another 180 to drop her off sunday) so I can spend time with my kid.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
There has been a manual camaro rebuilt out here for a grand. Really, it seems like you need just great highway mileage- your Toyota can handle everything else.

I would suggest a G1 Insight. Even in disrepair and a bad battery, you are looking at 50 MPG highway. Mine hauls my 100 lb dog no problem, in the hatch or backseat.

I read your post, but for a little money, you can have a fine highway cruiser, and a great weekend eco project on the weekends without your daughter.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,524 Times in 2,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Two miles? Keep your cruiser and bike to work.
I take it that you have never driven in Atlanta?
The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
Cobb (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 04:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Bikes prohibited?

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
Cobb (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Winsight - '06 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 72.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I take it that you have never driven in Atlanta?
Sounds like biking is a thousand times better.

The Following User Says Thank You to fusion210 For This Useful Post:
Cobb (12-29-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread