Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
Fuel injector questions ....and a request

Hello everyone,

I have wanted to experiment with swapping different fuel injectors into my Ranger for some time now. With it being my only work vehicle and work being good this year I haven't had any free time. That and not having access to a variety of parts in my local pick-n-pull. I have the old style single hole injectors now. I found a set of 4-hole ones from a 2000 Contour and grabbed those the last time I was there. These seem to be a direct swap and the wiring looks the same. One of the things I wonder about is....do they make adapters for swapping different styles of injectors into vehicles they aren't usually in?

I am going to try the 4-hole ones this summer and see if they give me any FE increase. They may, but it may be due to the fact that the ones in there now are original equipment and have over 200k miles of fuel run through them. I don't know though, I'm still getting 30mpg on the highway pretty consistently.

I have heard about some 12-hole ones that are used in California. I'm sure it's for the higher emissions standards there. These are rather interesting and I would love to try a set just to see what would happen. So I guess this leads me to the request.

First, any information from the west-coast modders about these injectors would be greatly appreciated. Specifically, will these work in my Ranger (2.3 Lima) if they make an adapter to fit. And if they do make an adapter to fit, where I can find them.

Secondly, if they do make an adapter (and they aren't to horribly expensive), I really can't make the trip out to California to search the pick-n-pulls for them. Buying them online would probably make the "return on investment" to great. Heck maybe the adapters (if they exist) would cost too much anyhow.

I would gladly forward the shipping costs (and some of the wife's homemade chocolate chip cookies ) if someone wanted to grab a set of the red 12-hole ones on their next trip out to the JY and send them to me. If it all fits together and is usable in my truck, I just want to get away with minimal cost for the experiment.

Thanks for any advice.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

hX-TREME!!! - '97 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 54.75 mpg (US)

450sX-TREME!!! - '95 Nissan V8 240sx

chodercycle - '06 kawasaki ninja zx6r 636
well, seeing as you know a thing or two about injectors im guessing you know that there are a couple different styles right? top feed and side feed? well first you would need to figure out what yours are. some fuel injectors are interchangeable. im not an expert by any means, but i know people take the 550cc subaru sti injectors and use them on other cars because they are common and they are huge, good for turbo set ups or e85 or whatever you want to do. it sounds like you are trying to stay the same size? if you were trying to go with a different flow then you would need a tune. otherwise your truck may not know what to do. i experienced that with my civic. the honda world only thought there was one size injector for all civics and integras but through research i found out the d16y5 and d16y7 civic hx and dx used 190cc injectors. which screwed me up real bad. the other thing is injectors have different functions. like peak and hold and pulse (im not totally sure what they are called) but they make a difference to on how the ecu talks to them. there is probably tons of ranger info out there and im sure you can find adapters if needed through performance sites real easy

Reply  Post New Thread