Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2016, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Fuel / water emulsification without emulsifiers

It appears that getting oil and water (or fuel and water) to mix is as simple as degassing the water.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...mix-after-all/
Quote:
If you first remove any gas that is dissolved in the water, it will mix spontaneously and even stay that way indefinitely, according to chemist Ric Pashley of the Australian National University in Canberra.

Once the emulsion has formed, hydroxyl groups from the water adsorb onto the surface of the oil droplets, making them similarly charged and thus preventing them from coming close together.

To test his hunch, Pashley removed almost all the gas from a water-oil mixture by repeatedly freezing and thawing it while pumping off the gases as they evaporated out (Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol 107, p 1714).

What he saw then was completely unexpected. “The mix spontaneously formed a cloudy emulsion. I was as surprised as anybody,” says Pashley. The result suggests that dissolved gas may be involved in how the force acts.
This means that we no longer have to use emulsifiers to keep water in suspension in fuel as means of increasing fuel mileage... boiling the water under a constant vacuum should suffice to remove enough of the dissolved gas to allow emulsification.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-07-2016, 05:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Send a message via MSN to markweatherill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle View Post
This means that we no longer have to use emulsifiers to keep water in suspension in fuel
I am not sure if that is the same thing as keeping oil in suspension in water...
Old 03-07-2016, 08:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I get my water emulsifier already in the gas I purchase since 10% of that gas is ethanol.

regards
mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle View Post
It appears that getting oil and water (or fuel and water) to mix is as simple as degassing the water.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...mix-after-all/

This means that we no longer have to use emulsifiers to keep water in suspension in fuel as means of increasing fuel mileage... boiling the water under a constant vacuum should suffice to remove enough of the dissolved gas to allow emulsification.
??? I would think this discover only pertains to companies making vinaigrette salad dressing.

Emulsifying oil to water reduces the amount of fuel required to go a mile as the steam also helps drive the piston.

However, vacuum and boiling require lots of energy, I doubt the amount of efficiency gain on the diesel exceeds the amount of energy it takes to boil and degas water.

Also adding emulsifier normally is not lost money, the emulsifiers used normally cost no more than the diesel fuel and add energy to the mix, there would be little reason to boil water to mix it in motor oil for car use that I can see.

Ah well.

Reply  Post New Thread