Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2016, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
G1 Insight CVT for sale in Florida (not mine!)

2005 Honda insight automatic

Saw a really nice looking blue CVT on Craigslist this morning around the Bradenton area. I was thinking about looking at it this weekend for my wife but she nixed the idea, so I thought I'd share it with you guys in case somebody's in the market for one.

Sub-100K miles, rebuilt title due to front end damage (see the pics he texted me of the car prior to fixing it). The pic with the vin makes me think the driver's door might be rubbing the frame, but I'm not positive that's what it is, could just be some tape residue.

He was asking 4500 bucks, but I'm pretty sure somebody could get it for 3500 bucks, that's what I would have maxed my offer at

I do NOT know this guy and I haven't gone to look at it in person, but it looks really clean and the guy was real helpful when I was asking him questions, might be a good deal if you're looking for one

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resizer_(60).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	20258   Click image for larger version

Name:	resizer_(55).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	20259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20160706_131735.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	20260  

Last edited by cowmeat; 07-15-2016 at 12:31 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-15-2016, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
I've heard too many horror stories about the CVT crapping out and needing a butt-ton of money to bring it back. Pass at pretty much any price; I've also heard horror stories about the manual having a weak input shaft bearing and the #2 syncro going kaput, but those are things I would at least have a chance at fixing.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
I believe a neglected CVT is usually good for at least 150k, and I've seen plenty that are taken care of (frequent fluid changes, not abused) last well over 200k. With as few miles as that car has, there's probably a lot of life left in it. That said, I'd take a MT over a CVT any day of the week.

Some info regarding the MT problems, which I stole from a post on IC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisbell View Post
I don't know the answer to your question, but recent evidence indicates that the grinding isn't usually caused by the synchros being worn out in the traditional sense. Some have begun repairing Insight transmissions by merely grinding the poorly-designed clocking tabs off the existing synchro rather than installing a new one which still has the defect. It's not known yet whether grinding would return sooner if a new synchro had been installed vs. modifying the old synchro, but synchros that have been examined apparently aren't very worn, so a modified synchro might actually prevent grinding longer than a new synchro with defective clocking tabs.
My 2nd gear has the common downshift grind, but it doesn't happen if I double clutch, and I always double clutch. My ISB is fine, and I'm at about 210k right now.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I believe a neglected CVT is usually good for at least 150k, and I've seen plenty that are taken care of (frequent fluid changes, not abused) last well over 200k. With as few miles as that car has, there's probably a lot of life left in it. That said, I'd take a MT over a CVT any day of the week.

Some info regarding the MT problems, which I stole from a post on IC:

My 2nd gear has the common downshift grind, but it doesn't happen if I double clutch, and I always double clutch. My ISB is fine, and I'm at about 210k right now.
350,000 miles on the Tronsight, have downshift grind, but no ISB problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baltothewolf For This Useful Post:
Ecky (07-15-2016)
Reply  Post New Thread