Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Gentlemen (and women :D) - Help me with a strategy

Scenario...

I need to move a human powered vehicle to Madison, WI and back (~2642 miles total). Due to, "complications," it looks like I probably can't take my car to do so (the plan was to strap it to my roof and go - just like last summer with last year's vehicle).

Last I checked, a teammates truck was offered (2005, v8, crew cab, probably 25 gallon tank, big). He says he maybe gets 17mpg highway.

I need to do this smartly, we've only got a budget of $500 for fuel and hotel (during the drive) - otherwise we pay out of pocket.

I paid $3.369 yesterday for gas - national average yesterday was 3.445. I'm thinking I'll wrangle up some 5 gallon fuel containers. Fill up at home where gas is a little cheaper than the surrounding areas.

Then use the 5 gallon tanks to even out in areas where fuel is more expensive. So if we refuel in a "high price gas" area, it'll be offset with the cheaper 5 gal gas (which would be refuel later in a lower priced station).

Yes, I know it's effort - but think budget.

I may go as far as camping on the way home... But, on the way up, I need a good night's sleep for the competition and don't want to risk feeling like crap before I present our vehicle before the judges (I need to think quick and present effectively).

Any other suggestions - aside from the obvious (air up tires, quickie grille block, etc.) The bad part - I can't get the SG to work in his car (it doesn't even power on).

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-19-2008, 11:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
You don't say where you live or how big the vehicle is. What would it cost to have it delivered? All those things play a part.

Also, I think you posted this in the wrong section.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
MechE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
You don't say where you live or how big the vehicle is. What would it cost to have it delivered? All those things play a part.

Also, I think you posted this in the wrong section.
Ya, think I did put it in the wrong place

More Details:

It's a full sized truck, 6 seater - don't recall make/model.
Traveling from Orlando, FL to Madison, WI.
Date of Event: Friday, April 25 by 4pm -- things got complicated today :/

Cost to deliver doesn't matter at this point - there's not time to crate/ship. The cost we got quoted awhile back was ~$600 + crate - plus two round trip plane tickets and 1 one way for the 2.5 of us that wouldn't need to drive.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
I don't know how to tell you this, But 2642miles/17mpg * $3.445 = $535.39

Start peddling now?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post

Plus food. The carbon footprint is huge.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Hmm, does someone else have a more efficient car you could use, or trade with the truck for a week or so? Would a trailer help (menards or harbor freight $200 jobbie or a converted boat trailer or something?)
Old 04-19-2008, 11:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
MechE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post

Start peddling now?
I know - we're probably going to exceed $500 - it's just by how much. I've put a bit of my own money into this thus far - so I'm trying to minimize the rest

I've been putting together a fuel map for my route to see where it's better to fuel up etc. I'm going to make a gradient and do a simple rolling cost curve to get a better estimate other than assuming national average (super easy in excel)...

I've learned,
Fuel in IL is significantly more expensive than surrounding states on the route - so fill up everything before leaving TN (the cheapest state) where gas is ~3.35. It's only ~350 miles of the trip, so we can probably avoid fuel in that entire state.

Quote:
Plus food. The carbon footprint is huge.
Naw, food isn't an issue - I have to eat anyway, and the lack of activity in the car means I need less food I'm going to pack some sandwiches and bring a few jugs of water Something I learned from my country crossing last summer was - bring your own food and drink Hell, I'll grow sprouts on the dash... it's easy, cheap, uses little water and I like sprouts

Quote:
Hmm, does someone else have a more efficient car you could use, or trade with the truck for a week or so? Would a trailer help (menards or harbor freight $200 jobbie or a converted boat trailer or something?)
Well... I'm debating getting a hidden hitch from uhaul... It's $160 (I think installed). I've got access to a free trailer - but it'll cost me 1 tank of gas to go pick it up from Tampa. So that's ~$200 (including fuel to get trailer). I estimate ~25mpg towing the thing - so fuel cost is $364 @ $3.445 per gallon.

So that's $564 total - and the $160 comes out of my pocket - not the $500. And I don't need a hitch.... It'd be cheaper to take the super big truck @17mpg (which I might be able to get up higher - 18/19mpg? - by driving smartly...)

So trailer is no go - but don't get me wrong, great suggestion

Someone else on the team has a truck...It's just not reliable Not sure what the FE is (it is a smaller engine an a smaller truck) - but the reliability issue throws it out instantly. There was a.... mysterious burning smell the other day... and it was out of commission much of this semester...

I'll ask around to see if there's a better vehicle available (or someone with a hitch that fits a Jetta Sedan)... just at the moment, this is our option.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far - keep 'em coming if you've got 'em
Old 04-20-2008, 12:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

Yeah, Illinois and Wisconsin are one of the few states that have higher gas tax than Florida. We wanted to be known for something, so we picked taxes.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
If the car averages 17mpg in daily driving, I think you could push it to 21mpg relatively easily if it's all highway mileage.

My number one suggestion is to slooow down. I realize interstates usually run at 70-80mph, but it is your legal right to drive 55mph. There should be no reason to feel unsafe as you are driving a fuel size pickup...big rigs will overtake. Your trip will take much longer, but you have several people driving so who cares?

You probably have leftover material, so start building some hasty aeromods. A grill block, rear wheel skirts, and an aeroshell made of composite supports and a scrounged plastic drop sheet would do nicely. Using a low-tack tape to stick everything together should prevent the paint from being damaged.

I like the jerry can idea, but it'll only work if you can get the cans free. Start scouring gasbuddy.com along your route and pick out the absolute cheapest gas you can find (remember, places like ARCO are only cheap when paid with cash). 20 gallons + 25 gallons @ 21mpg = 945 miles, almost a straight shot to your event.

2642 miles @ 21 mpg = 125.81 gallons
125.81 gallons @ 3.369 = $423.85

$76.15 should be plenty for one night's hotel and basic foodstuff. I'd just sleep in the bed of the truck on the way home. It's definately doable.

- LostCause
Old 04-20-2008, 12:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
MechE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
Yeah, Illinois and Wisconsin are one of the few states that have higher gas tax than Florida. We wanted to be known for something, so we picked taxes.
Are the roads, at least, nice? I hear the cycling system in WI is pretty nice

Driving out to cali, I noticed the states with cheaper gas had some TERRIBLE roads. Good enough enough to not cause instant driving problems - but bad enough to make the ride excessively fatiguing (I'm looking at you interstate system of Louisiana)