Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
Goal #1 attained, perilously close to #2 and #3 in sight!

Yesterday I broke 500 miles on a single tank! When I bought the car I was averaging 350-400. Once I got my Ultragauge I began to break 400/tank consistently, and set a goal to break 500.
Well, yesterday I did it, and could have driven another 20 or so before risking running out of fuel. SUPER EXCITED!

Goal #2 is to break 40% over EPA. I remember how excited I was when I broke 20% over EPA. That seems like ages ago.

Goal #3 is a 50 MPG tank. That's going to take some effort, as even getting to the ~47 was more than moderately difficult.

I have found that using the MPG/trip feature on the UG nets me tremendous results, I reset it every time when I park. I also highly recommend the trip log if you don't already use it.

Anyway I'm done bragging, thanks for listening!

~Matt

Current Car: White Lightning

----------------------------------------------

Retired Car: Betty White
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flakbadger For This Useful Post:
Insight for life (06-19-2013), user removed (06-19-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-19-2013, 01:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
That is definitely good for an 11.1-gallon tank. I can go 450 on my 15.9-gallon tank, but I am not sure what it would take for a 30 MPG tank.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
Matt, that's great, congrats! It's just great a great feeling to brake the record, or to achieve goal. But you have to remember that it'll be a constant struggle. First I was wishing to have an average below 4l/100km (58.8 mpg US), now I'm thinking of breaking 3.5l/100km barier (67.2 mpg US), first for a longer trip, then for a whole tank.

So good luck man! Good job, and thanks for sharing your excitement.

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 06-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Enduro E-bike - '11 PowerPedals Enduro
90 day: 2236 mpg (US)

Jota - '14 Toyota Yaris Hybrid H1
90 day: 53.11 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakbadger View Post
Yesterday I broke 500 miles on a single tank! When I bought the car I was averaging 350-400. Once I got my Ultragauge I began to break 400/tank consistently, and set a goal to break 500.
Well, yesterday I did it, and could have driven another 20 or so before risking running out of fuel. SUPER EXCITED!

Goal #2 is to break 40% over EPA. I remember how excited I was when I broke 20% over EPA. That seems like ages ago.

Goal #3 is a 50 MPG tank. That's going to take some effort, as even getting to the ~47 was more than moderately difficult.

I have found that using the MPG/trip feature on the UG nets me tremendous results, I reset it every time when I park. I also highly recommend the trip log if you don't already use it.

Anyway I'm done bragging, thanks for listening!

~Matt
My goal is to beat Matt - and do it in a 9 y.o. car, previous model. So I'm breathing down his neck. Just wait and see. My 90 days numres a low due to late spring here. My 3 tank avarage is much better

Well done Matt - nice little fuelsavers we've got
Old 06-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2002 Neon White - '02 Dodge Neon Base
90 day: 34.12 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakbadger View Post
I have found that using the MPG/trip feature on the UG nets me tremendous results, I reset it every time when I park.
Perhaps my UG version is different than yours. Mine has short trip ("srt") values that reset when the ignition is switched off for >5 seconds, no manual resetting required.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Good job, Matt, but you need to set the bar much higher. I drive a Scion xB with higher cD, much larger cDA, and shorter gearing (OEM gearing forces my engine to run at 3100 rpm @ 60 mph). We share the same engine, Toyota's 1NZ-FE. Admittedly, I have a slightly larger 11.9 gallon gas tank v. the Yaris' 11.1 gal. tank, but I'd choose to drive your car rather than mine to achieve your goals.

Here's how high the bar is for you Tercel/Echo/Yaris/xA/xB people. I have 21 of 121 tanks >500 miles, including 3 tanks >600 miles. Two of those tanks were over 1000 km (621.37 miles). I'm not trying for maximum distance tanks, either, as 15 of my 121 tanks are <200 mile tanks. I'm quite willing to top off my tank in Nevada or Arizona or Georgia with cheap gas before crossing the state line to higher prices. And I do a lot of cross-country driving where I don't want to be down to within a gallon of the low fuel light in unfamiliar territory.

I'm running 76% over EPA, for more than 45,000 miles.

I have 49 of 121 tanks >50 mpg, including 4 tanks >60 mpg.

Good luck I'm not trying to intimidate you. Take the higher bars as challenge and inspiration. If I can do it in my boxy xB, you guys in your streamlined Yarises should mop the floor with my rolling hay bale.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
The Following User Says Thank You to SentraSE-R For This Useful Post:
Flakbadger (06-19-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 05:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Always Too Busy

Team Leaf
Xist: I think you're fighting a lot of things in an older Subaru; bad aero, full-time 4WD and engines that aren't necessarily built for MPG's. But, then, the car will probably go for 300k miles, so there is that...

AndrzejM: Your goals are impressive, but so are your results. I look forward to seeing a thread about you breaking 3.5/100km

Jyden: I am a little envious of your 1.0 liter engine. We don't have that option in the U.S., only the 1.5. Good luck on your goals, this winter really destroyed me too (and winter here is pretty minor comparatively), but once it's 90 days behind you things will look up!
And I love the Yaris too.

Terror storm: I didn't know that was a thing! Thank you, I'll look into that tomorrow!

SentraSE-R
: You're not intimidating me, my eco-driving goals are set low enough to be obtainable just as benchmarks for progress. One of my old goals was to be 20% over EPA, which as you can see I smashed. Once I achieve a goal, I set a new one. It's a good way to keep forward progress.
I am impressed you get the numbers you do with your vehicle, being that it is (as you call it) a rolling hay bale.
Do you do a lot of engine-off driving? Because I do next-to none (with a few exceptions). There are a couple long hills that I will EOC, and a few particularly long stoplights, but otherwise I'm an engine-on driver.
My point is that if you do EOC and I don't, I'm probably not going to beat you any time soon, because my only advantage becomes the aero one (and the gearing, there is that).

Anyway thanks everyone, happy Ecomodding.

~Matt

Last edited by Flakbadger; 06-20-2013 at 05:16 AM..
Old 06-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TheEgg - '18 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
90 day: 29.55 mpg (US)
Congrats! I'm sure you'll get 50 mpg and then some in time.

I am happy with my 14.5 gallon fuel tank, though. One of my goals is an 800 mile tank

Last edited by PressEnter[]; 06-20-2013 at 11:21 AM..
Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Matt,

Yes, I EOC all the time in local short trips, but almost never on long highway drives. It's the difference between 60 mpg and 40 mpg in my xB. If you don't EOC, you're taking a similar penalty. OTOH, your Yaris is much more capable. Another hypermiler & I drove the same 10 mile loop, & he matched my 60+ mpg P&G with his Echo. But he drove it without P&G or EOC. He kept his in 5th gear. When I drive mine the same way, I get about 10 mpg less = low-50s.

You & I must have the older UG. The current UG EM has the automatic trip reset feature. We can upgrade our software to EM for a nominal fee.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg

Last edited by SentraSE-R; 06-20-2013 at 10:18 AM..
Old 06-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Always Too Busy

Team Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by PressEnter[] View Post
Congrats! I'm sure you'll get 50 mpg in time and then some in time.

I am happy with my 14.5 gallon fuel tank, though. One of my goals is an 800 mile tank
800 is pretty impressive; I wish my car had a bigger tank. Sure it's cool that it's <$40 to fill most times, but it would be nice to drive another hundred miles or so. Anyway thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
Matt,

Yes, I EOC all the time in local short trips, but almost never on long highway drives. It's the difference between 60 mpg and 40 mpg in my xB. If you don't EOC, you're taking a similar penalty. OTOH, your Yaris is much more capable. Another hypermiler & I drove the same 10 mile loop, & he matched my 60+ mpg P&G with his Echo. But he drove it without P&G or EOC. He kept his in 5th gear. When I drive mine the same way, I get about 10 mpg less = low-50s.

You & I must have the older UG. The current UG EM has the automatic trip reset feature. We can upgrade our software to EM for a nominal fee.
I do love the efficiency of this car, I get awesome results without really "trying," to be honest once I bought my Ultragauge I felt like I was cheating or something. Once I finally figured out to program it to recognize DFCO my FE jumped by leaps and bounds.

I need to read up on P&G some more, the concept makes sense but it seems overly laborious to me.

As for upgrading, not worth it to me until this one breaks, which with the way I treat my stuff is going to be a very long time

Reply  Post New Thread