Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2016, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Good Day at a Garage sale

Garage sale today, sellers brother is in the final stages of ALS (Lou Gehrigs disease). Picked up a few things yesterday for excellent prices. Scant stock for an 03A3 WW2 era rifle and two air pistols for $30, Nice tooled leather belt with brass Pony Express buckle for $2.

This morning I had the air conditioner condenser installed in my leased home that my brother and I rebuilt several years ago. After a few years finally a decent tenant who has paid me $4900 over the last 7 months.

I stopped at the yard sale again and the seller had some new things for sale. One was an ancient Billings adjustable wrench for $2, probably worth that in scrap, surface rust but otherwise excellent condition.

The last thing I bought was a Trek 7.5 XF 27 speed bicycle. Hydro formed aluminum frame, Bontrager forks (carbon fiber), headset, rims, tires (like new), and probably something else I forgot all premium components.

Got home and reinstalled the wheels I had to remove to get it in my car. First bike I could ever pedal up my max 10% grade driveway. Looks like I will get into shape riding this baby around Williamsburg. Like new and all of $200. Best of all I got a small royalty payment for my work on Pop's book "Feather Merchant" about his experiences flying a B17 over Europe during WW2.

regards
mech

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
fusion210 (04-17-2016), mcrews (04-16-2016)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-17-2016, 06:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Winsight - '06 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 72.19 mpg (US)
Any pics? I used to love garage sales. But I noticed I wasn't finding anything worth buying and I've stopped going. You really have to go out into rural areas to find cool stuff IMO. I blame it on the internet of course. With so many outlets to look up prices or sell your stuff, it only makes sense to not sell it at a garage sale or even have a garage sale at all.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Within a 50 mile radius yesterday there were over 300 yard sales on Craig's List with over 1 million population covering that same area. I do research and use a technique that looks for specific words like ammunition, firearms, mechanic's tool box or tools, bicycles, etc. I pick up tools with patents on them, then I can research the Patent for more information.

I only went to 2 of those 300 plus sales this weekend. I look especially at the newspaper for sales NOT on CL. Best deal ever 78 brand new hacksaw blades made by Miller's Fall's in New England when they were a subsidiary of Ingersol Rand for $1.

Also the bike came with a Gary Fisher tire repair kit including a tube, gas cylinders and a combination tool in the smaller bag.

regards
mech

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0417160756.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	19918   Click image for larger version

Name:	0417160753.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	19919  

Last edited by user removed; 04-17-2016 at 08:14 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread