Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010, 04:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
Goodyear WeatherHandler Fuel Max Review

So guys, with this snow that's been coming down lately, my bald summer tires were not doing the job. I read some reviews on tire rack, and decided to go with the Goodyear Assurance Fuel max. Called around locally and Sears said they have the 'Fuel-max', for a really good price too.

Went and got them yesterday, drove home in 6 inches of fresh powder on the road, and I could not believe how well they were handling it. I was able to stop easily within a few feet from 30 mph. With my Sumitomo's I was running, I could almost always get the car going, but the slightest hint of brake and the ABS would kick in. An improvement more than 10 fold there.

BUT

I get home, check out the tires in the garage (was gonna up the PSI ) and I notice the letters dont say Assurance at all. They say Weather Handler. I've never even heard of this tire. BUT They also have the Fuel Max logo. Check around online and it seems this is a tire sold at Sears and other outlets, but I can't find a lot of reviews for them.

The other thing about the tires was 1) I noticed a greater ride, but this is probably because of the tire pressures at the moment 2) The tires are nearly silent on road until about 45 mph. For the 2 days I've had them I cant be happier right now. I went up a steep incline with a foot and a half of unplowed snow without any issue. Just put it in second and it tore ass right up it.

I'll report back on these a few days/week as to how the gas mileage is, but I expect it to stay roughly the same for the first few hundred miles. Maybe worse. It seems most people see 2~5% improvement going to these, which is roughly what good year claims. I guess its too bad I didn't have the original weather-handler tires to compare them to. But hopefully the Fuel-Max designation is more about the tread compound and not about the tread shape.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
A madman

Initial reports of the MPG look good. I'm showing 30 mpg on the interstate, through WV mountains, in freezing rain.

That is slightly better than I was averaging with the bald Sumitomos. These tires aren't even broken in yet, less than 100 miles.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tank - '76 Chevy El Camino Classic
90 day: 25.89 mpg (US)

Sabrina - '91 Mercedes Benz 190 E
90 day: 37.07 mpg (US)

Angel - '88 Mercedes-Benz 420SEL
Last 3: 23.01 mpg (US)

Quicksilver - '04 Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG Cabrio
How are they through corners? Some of us drive canyoncs as our commute

Tank:
(No actual EPA numbers for car just used F/E numbers when i first got it)
Old 02-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
A madman

I dont know yet how they corner in the dry. They've only seen use in snow and freezing rain.

I should notice going from a 400AA/A tire to a 640A/B tire. But honestly, my car does great in corners for its size.

Reply  Post New Thread